It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back / Abdominal pain - ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
    joshv
    (male)

joshv HB User
    Back / Abdominal pain - ?

Okay, so I realize that I am posting this on the "Back Problems" board - which probably means that we all have "back" on our mind and that skews our opinions - and as I write this I am trying to convince myself that my problems are spine and not GI - so I am not being very subjective either. But here goes

I should start by saying that my back has hurt for many years prior to the events I am going to describe - but never to the point I would do anything about it. A little bit of rest and I seemed to get better. I had a few back injuries that I fully recovered from as a teenager. Prior to 2007 my back pain was lower right and a good massage helped relax the muscles and made it feel better.

In July of 2007 I had pain in my lower right back bottom most rib. The pain sometimes moved forward to the bottom rib in the front of my chest on the right side (in a "C" shape from front to back almost). My primary sent me to a GI and he did a ultrasound (no stones) and then a HIDA (5% rejection). So he removed my Gallbladder in late 2007. Pain Persisted - got worse.

Then the GI did an ERCP and decided that I was borderline SOD (sphincter of oddi) dysfunction - so during the ERCP they cut the SOD to loosen it in early 2008. Pain persisted. By this point - the pain had spread to most of my right abdominal area - It comes and goes and moves around. I never had any of the nausea or vomiting usually described by SOD / pancreatic patients - just a lot of pain - to the point where pushing on ribs hurts.

In Mid 2008, out of my own curiosity I convinced my Chiropractor to order an MRI of my spine. The Dr. who read the films diagnosed a spur at T5 and a bulging disk at T7 (might have locations backwards). Saw a neurosurgeon next and he decided that I was not a surgical candidate and sent me to a neropath(? or something like that non-surgical). The neropath decided he could not help me as the nerves were not being effected and could not cause my abdominal pain (which I focused on in our single meeting).

I stopped seeing docs out of frustration. Pretty sure I have had a few surgical procedures and lost/damaged organs that I will need - for apparently no good reason. I saw a PT for as long as my insurance would allow in late 2008 - and found that rolling my back on a 8" foam cylinder (along with chiropractic manipulation and heat) helped considerably - but never completely.

Now, Mid 2009 - pain persists. The foam roller is not making any further improvements (things getting slightly worse) and I do it 2x per day. My back (right-lower) hurts a lot, and so does my right chest / abdomen area (pain moves around) - sometimes hurt to breath. Occasionally I'll notice tingling in fingertips on one side or the other, for a few day and then it goes away (usually left). My chiropractor has noted a couple of times that the rib-head around T5-6 was out and he pops it back in.

I struggle with describing/diagnosing this pain because it is so general and unclear. Some of my current symptoms match biliary / pancreatic dysfunction (run to the bathroom after I eat, loose stool, especially with fatty foods, etc.) or the after effects of several related procedures (phantom gallbladder pain is common). And other pain I described above is certainly is back related.

If I have learned anything it appears that I am the only person concerned about my pain - most doctors are quick to ignore it or medicate. Seems like they all approach the problem with whatever tool they have in their hand (screwing in a nail, etc.) and take little time to consider if it might be a problem other than their particular field.

I appreciate any help you can offer. I am so tired of being in constant pain - I am ready to start running the Dr. Gauntlet again - but am afraid of new useless procedures and need perspective / experience on where to start so I don't get my spleen, colon, brain (or whatever else some would-be hero convinces me might help) removed next

Here goes:
    1. Does this sound like a back problem? pain moving around? Back pain in the abdomen? Ribs feeling sore to touch?

2. Could it really get this bad in a matter of 2 years?

3. Why did 2 back doctors reject helping me? Is my description odd? Should I start over?

4. What does a spur and a bulging disk cause? pain wise, what do they do?

I try to laugh, but frankly it hurts,
    -Josh

Last edited by joshv; 08-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
    L5S1 Spondy
    (male)

L5S1 Spondy HB User
    Re: Back / Abdominal pain - ?

Joshv,

[SIZE="2"]1. I had pain in my abdomen - stabbing pains before my surgery. Post surgery they are gone. I did not have the rib pain. I had pain that moved around.

2. I don't know how bad it could get in that time frame. Everyone is different due to environment, activity, physiology.

3. Mine almost rejected me. He didn't really feel my pain was as bad as I said. Meanwhile after the surgery -"Your nerve was REALLY compressed, I can see why you were having so much pain." He was treating me by the MRI, not in reality treating 'me'. When I stated to him in my defense - "Hey, look at the amount of room for the nerve on the left side compared to the right." He told me - "Oh thats more than enough room." It wasn't, because he was proven wrong when he did the surgery, which is the last place he should have been proven wrong. =) IMO. Mind you he is a good surgeon.

4. I can't really talk on spurs. But bulging disks press against the nerve bundle in the spine. The nerves in, theory, should never be interrupted or compressed they are not built to take the abuse, they are being damaged. I imagine the spur does something to the effect of a bulging or damaged disk. Nerves will tell you you have pain because in essense your body is damaged. You burn yourself, it's the same example.[/SIZE]

Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
    L5S1 Spondy
    (male)

L5S1 Spondy HB User

Joshv,

I need to revist your question. Misread it.

"What does a spur and a bulging disk cause? pain wise, what do they do?"

They can cause a myriad of issues. Numbness, burning pain, stabbing pain, aching, loss of motor function.

For me it was burning pain in my butt cheek, sometimes down my leg, but mostly it was my back where the slippage occured.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
    joshv
    (male)

joshv HB User

Thanks L5S1 Spondy!

So if I am reading correctly, a bulging disk could have actually caused my Gallbladder to malfunction - thereby failing the HIDA Scan. So removing might have really been treating a symptom of a larger back problem - sure it was failing, but not because it was broken, because it wasn't being told to do anything.

Funny, the second neuro guy I mentioned said something similar to you: He said he had met people where the MRI showed nothing but they were clearly suffering from impinged nerves - and that he had met others where the MRI told him they should be unable to stand from the pain and they felt nothing. His conclusion was that "the MRI was meaningless".

Of course that left me wondering how he decided I didn't need his help - if the MRI is meaningless and I am in pain, then what is the harm in trying something and taking my money? The other thing that I found so perplexing is that he could so quickly dismiss my pain in light of the diagnosis on the MRI results - they seemed congruent IMHO - but IANAD If he doesn't treat based on described pain or diagnostic results than my only guess is that he is he had a deck of cards somewhere I didn't notice.

Sorry I am venting - this process is really frustrating. I wish the GI would have discussed my back with me first - it may have saved a lot of pain, $$$, and time in the hospital if it turns out this was my problem all along.

I guess I am off to find a good doctor. But what kind am I looking for?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
    L5S1 Spondy
    (male)

L5S1 Spondy HB User

Joshv,

Seek a neurosurgeon. I think they will take you more seriously. And I believe that bodily functions can/are be disrupted by nerve irritation/damage. If it can cause incontinence, I'm sure it can cause other organs/muscles to fail or work improperly.

When you see them tell them this: "I really need you to help me." Personalize it. Make them take you on as a challenge.

My doctor told me after the surgery in a post-op visit that he 'believed' in me. I took that as he believed that I had issues that needed resolving, but that he didn't really see my case from a physical stand point of needing his services. When he opened me up, he saw my issue. A 2.5 hour surgery took 3.5 hours.

But I am happy to say that I made the right decision. My back dis on the road to recovery. I am 8 weeks post-op.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
    ElizabethI
    (female)

ElizabethI HB User

Hi JOsh - have you found out what is wrong? I've had back and abdominal pain for 4 years - been two four doctors - had upper GIs, colonoscopies, mris, cat scans, blood tests, the only test that ever showed anything was showed a slow digestion of food - have taken all the suggested remedies for gasteroperisis and none work. Was taking an antiobiotic for about a year which gave me a little relief, but stopped being effective. This helped the abdominal pain but never the back pain which is most severe. No doctor has really addressed the back pain only suggesting it might be muscular which I am sure it isn't - it got even worse when antibiotic no longer worked. The only bit of relief I got was from a heating pad but now my skin is showing symptons from using that too much and research showed it could cause different types of skin cancer. So now am at a loss - the pain is 24/7 and has been for 4 years - am desperate to know what to do next the abdominal pain and nausea are bad but the back pain is the worst. Have you heard anything like this before. Am new to this site and not sure how to post all of to the general population. Thanks for your help

Closed Thread