It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Psoas muscle?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User
    Psoas muscle?

Has anyone had a problem w/this? I fell almost a yr ago did alot of damage to my back which I can live with. The one I can't live with I'm told is the psoas mucscle. I can walk & sit but if I just turn a certain way I get a terrible shock like pain going from my groin into my right leg & it is painful for days. Just one little move & it's there. I have had acupuncture, chiro & pain meds but nothing works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    Re: Psoas muscle?

Oh yes! I can totally relate to the pain that radiates from a psoas muscle.
    I had no idea even what a psoas WAS! until I complained of constant groin pain that I THOUGHT was maybe my appendix acting up but then it started radiating to the right side of my buttock, down my upper thigh and there was no way to get comfortable.
    It would all begin in the morning as I sat and read my book on the couch or sat at the computer and I couldn't even get into a comfortable position in bed either. I used a heating pad daily on it. which seemed to work only a little.

this went on for a few months till I couldn't take the pain anymore and told my rheumy doctor about it.
    I didn't even have any accident or a fall what so ever. I wasn't exercising then as I do now so have NO clue as to how it got inflammed.

My doctor had a CT scan performed and that's how they found it.

My doctor told me to get a direct shot between the hip and leg guided by a cat scan device but not a cat scan machine where you go into.
    you lay ontop of this hard table top and they pull this machine real close to the hip and the dr is able to see where he has to inject this long needle into.
    the nurses then take you off table and walk you around a little to the get the medicine moving around and send you home.

It was a form of cortisone medication.
    the doctor told me it might work right away, or days later to a week later if it works at all. I prayed that it would.
    the next day I could barely move my leg it hurt so much where the injection was placed, but by the 2nd day, I was much better and the psoas pain had finally gone away. For good.
    It is now months later and only twice I started feeling it start to bother me. but it eventually stopped.

needless to say, the psoas muscle is the longest muscle in our body and we need this muslce to help us stay in our seats without slipping onto the floor when we sit in a chair. I found this to be quite amazing considering I didn't even know I had a psoas muscle till mine became inflammed.

I am VERY curious as to why and how my became inflammed to begin with. because I sure as heck do NOT want to aggrivate it ever again.
    the pain is unreal.

so to answer your question, the cortisone shot directly into the hip joint will make it go away possibly for good.

good luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks for writing, that is weird, mine was ok even after the fall then weeks later it started just like yours & now it's a yr, I hate it, the groin pain is bad & I can't sleep on one side it hurts too much. I guess it has improved a little but not all that much. My husband had it also yrs ago when he stretched his leg out doing cement. But to get it & no reason! I have tried so many things, is that who ordered the shot the rheumy dr? I'm thinking they put you out to do it? Must have hurt, don't want to go to an ortho Dr they just want to operate. You in NY, thats where I came from born in brooklyn moved out to the Island when young & finally left Center Moriches after 20yrs to move to Fla. Miss NY people.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi again gram, we seem to always be running into each other here and there. and i DO remember your fall too. so do they actually even KNOW just what is affecting that psoas? what the main pain generator is? i did not have a freaking clue either that there even WAS a muslce called the psoas til becasue of my polycystic kidney disease, two seperate cysts decided to migrate into that freaking muscle but mine is located at the back side of that dang muscle. the thing here is that the left kidney actually saddles that stupid muscle and with my enlargemnt of the kidneys was actually touching it,sooo i guess they just decided to pop over where there is more room or something? but the actual real pain i suffer just fromthose two dang cysts being 'IN" that muscle at all is at times like soo much worse than the cysts that impact my kidneys and liver too. its really sick now since it just used to be ONLY in my left low back/buttock area but now is moving down into the groin too at the point. and it just freaking hurts.

i wanted to mention a particular therepy to you that is quite honestly the ONLY therepy i have tried(and there have been TONS of different therepies here) since all my real bad muscle damage occured with them having to cut thru all the heavy thick muscle that just covers the area where they ahd to go in to do my spinal cord surgery back in 2003? and with my ever constantly enlarging kidneys and liver too the impact upon the muscle and the fascia surrounding all the freaking organs and blood vessels in our entire bodies just keeps flaring up and getting ****** off. what occurs when something with fascia covering(muscle, organs and vessels)just keeps getting inflammed or nerve signals get sent out from pain processes within our bodies, that fascia surrounding all that stuff actually is what will create the most pain. that fascia just thins itself out then contracts around whatever it is covering, and THAT is what the very basis for most muscle pain and the formnation of those ugly trigger points is coming from.

the name of the amazingly wonderful therepy i have been getting for almost two and a half years now is 'myofascial release" along with craniosacral therepy too. this therepy has been a god send for me and all my many pain processes that are created becasue of sooo many different things just impacting my muscle and that ever important fascia. this therepy actually releases the fascia and of course frees up the muscle or whatever else is being contracted too. after many many years of these huge non stop trigger points constantly being created in me,they not longer stay anymore. i can feel that huge huge impact and differene in the way things feel right after every session i have. the relief also lasts longer than any other therepy too which most of did not even allow me to get to my car after the sessions without feeling all of the crap coming right back. i also had to have regular TP injections as well before this(were talking hundreds and hundreds of ongoing seperate injected areas over many years) and have had NONE since i started this.

for anyone who has ANY really impacted muscle issues, this therepy can do sooo much to just 'right' the wrongs and bring some tolerability to what has been really awful pain areas. i would very very highly recommend this to you gram. it could help tons with that horrid pain there casued by, in part, contracted fascia that IS right now kind of squeezing/constricting that muscle up on you. it is not 'just" only that groin that is being impacted in you gram, it is also contracting and overly tightening the fascia in your back too since the muscle just runs this way from the spinal out around into that groin area.

just try and find the most experienced and knowledgable myo therepist you possibly can to actually do this for you. my PT guy has over 20 years of experience in just doing both the myfascial release and the other amazing therepy the craniosacral too(this other therepy actually kind of 'unwinds' your central nervous system and creates the appropriate ebb and flow within that dura with the CSF tides that are just in there?). the more experience the better with this.

honestly grm, i only went to the very firat visit because my PMs NP just wne t on and on about what a great therepy this was and it turned out to be the absolute best therepy i could have for my particularly messed up body. this therepy was actually highly recommended to me way back when i was still in the acute rehab hospital post spinal cord surgery. but because my ins co would not cover it i could not get it then, and my therepist there tried like hell to get this for me. they changed their tune tho over the years after really seeing and hearing about just how much this can impact a patient in the best ways possible. i just needed to let you know about this particular therepy hon. it has made huge impacts on sooo many different areas of my body and also has kept me from having to even increase my oxycontin too? i have not had to even have an increase in that since 2005? and this is despite all things progressing in me including my deteriorating c spine and other increases in pain too. just freaks me out actually.

but the true key here with this particular therepy is like i mentioned above? years of hands on experinece(with the actual myofascial release?) in the therepist is just crucial for the very best results possible. just something that i really really think you could benefit from like i have. believe me, with all the messes i have in my body at this point gram, if this actually works for me,it will certainly help at least bring your pain in that area down to a much more tolerable level. this is just how the muscles react to it. i do hope you try and seek out the therepy gram, it really helps me sooo much just to maintain right now and has become a very crucial part of my overall pain management. good luck hon, marcia

Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks Honey, I will check it out, it's a year now that I fell. I can walk ok but then I get the groin pain real bad esp at night & laying in bed that is so painful. I'm gonna start asking around to see if anyone knows someone experienced.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Well here I am again it's been so long but I just came across this again after all this time. This time I printed out all you said, you wouldn't believe what I've been thru. I forgot to ck into this & was all over the place acupuncture (which made it worse, chiro (no good) Dr's & only pain killers which I hate THEN my daughter told me to go to a Dr she went to raved about how he helped her back, 1st feeling was no then she kept after me & I went in for nerve root injections, well guess what the AH made it much worse than it ever was before. I am at the end of my rope, seems ok in AM & as the day goes on the right side of my groin gives me severe pain feels like theres a knife being twisted in my overy. I had an MRI in the beginning & alot of damage to my back from fall disc etc. Now I'm just guessing as to the psoas muscle thats how I wound up back here. What kind of a Dr finally found your problem? I can't keep living w/the damn pain everyday can't make plans & hate the pills it also has me depressed.
    Good to talk to you again.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
    Kuch
    (female)

Kuch HB User

I am still trying to find out what is wrong with my groin. I got up out of bed about 4 years ago and the pain in my groin was so bad that I couln't walk. Got to a chair and the pain continued. I thought I broke my hip or tore a muscle. While sitting the pain coninued and I got sweaty and nausated. I then passed out and fell to the floor because the pain was so bad. I get pain in the groin when I try to roll over in bed and getting up from a chair. I have been to several doctors including Mayo and can't find an answer. When I get out of bed my spine is curved to the left but straighten out in about a half hour. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
    deeannek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deeannek HB User

Wow, I am going to ask about this psoas muscle. What you describe sounds like what I am going thru. Except that i don't hurt when I am up and moving around. My pain is after resting. It is mostly in the left side of my back and it does go into the groin area. The pain in the morning is a 10 and it takses a very long time for me to get out of bed. Once I am out of bed, it eases up in about a hlf an hour. I have the same pain after napping or sitting in one postion for too long. All I know is this has to stop. It hurts so much that I have started having major panic attacks. This week, I am having a hip xray and an ultrasound to either rule either of those problems in or out. I am so thankful I found your post. I will definitely ask my dr. if this might be my problem.

I hope your pain is relieved soon.
    Dee

Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
    Kell998
    (female)

Kell998 HB User

[QUOTE=Gram4;4108922]Has anyone had a problem w/this? I fell almost a yr ago did alot of damage to my back which I can live with. The one I can't live with I'm told is the psoas mucscle. I can walk & sit but if I just turn a certain way I get a terrible shock like pain going from my groin into my right leg & it is painful for days. Just one little move & it's there. I have had acupuncture, chiro & pain meds but nothing works.[/QUOTE]

I injured my back about 8 months back and I was also having trouble with my psoas muscle and my Physical Therapist started (Strain counter Stain therapy) It is where they press on different parts of body checking for hot spots which will then tell them what stretch they will need to do on you. Your Psoas hot spot is on your abdomen about a inch on each side of your belly button you can press there yourself and beleive me you will know if that is the problem or not real quick but your PT will have to do the stretches cause you can't do them yourself they only have to hold you in the position for a couple minutes and it is instant releif it is the most amazing thing ever.I hope this helps cause I know that pain is horrible.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
    Kell998
    (female)

Kell998 HB User

[QUOTE=deeannek;4239603]Wow, I am going to ask about this psoas muscle. What you describe sounds like what I am going thru. Except that i don't hurt when I am up and moving around. My pain is after resting. It is mostly in the left side of my back and it does go into the groin area. The pain in the morning is a 10 and it takses a very long time for me to get out of bed. Once I am out of bed, it eases up in about a hlf an hour. I have the same pain after napping or sitting in one postion for too long. All I know is this has to stop. It hurts so much that I have started having major panic attacks. This week, I am having a hip xray and an ultrasound to either rule either of those problems in or out. I am so thankful I found your post. I will definitely ask my dr. if this might be my problem.

I hope your pain is relieved soon.
    Dee[/QUOTE]

You should ask your physical therapist to try (Strain Counter Strain Therapy) for you Psoas muscle it works and you get instant releif if don right.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
    helenlegs11
    (female)

helenlegs11 HB User

Check out the piriformis muscle too.It is in the buttock and can give groin, hip and leg pain. a physio will be able to locate and massage it. If tender or spasmed it can often be released by palpitation or acupuncture.
    Helen

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

I did try the acupuncture but it made it worse. It was on it's way to healing until I got the nerve root block now it's worse then before. I have a feeling he hit a nerve with the needle.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly gram, you just really DO require the 'right' type of therepy for YOUR pain generator and that i still feel would be some level of honest to god myofascial release therepy. my (then only) what was low back pain when you first posted this has now migrated around into that groin areas ans also tends to make me feel like my dang overy is inflammed some how too at times(that front is much more intermittant than the back is at least for now)? this is just the cystic crap that i cannot actually ever get rid of that is doing this to me, yours really sounds like a severely overly tightened fascia issue(from injury and then inflammation, then overtightening), which IS the more impacted part of ANY muscle when it comes to any level of real inflammation or injury. its just that fascia not only surrounds every muscle, organ and blood vessel we just have inside our bodies, but fascia ALSO runs THRU all muscle as well. if that fascia/muscle gets inflammed, trust me it will first thin out on you ,then it will tend to overly tighten on you and around/thru that muscle too. THAT is what creates the at times verty severe pain FROM muscle related crap. this just IS the "reactionary response when it comes to injury to ANY muscle, that dang fascia just thinning and tigtening around the whole freaking muscle. it tends to send the surrounding muscles of any level of injury into the "guarding mode" that IS the tightening of groups that simply try and protect any given injury area we have that just has any muscle surrounding it.

finding someone who simply does basic myfascial release just helps in releasing that overly tightened fascia in us that in turn, relaxes that fascia thus the muscle too? right now its kind of like its being "held hostage" and inflammed, and has been for quite some time as well? and it NEEDS releasing with the right therepy that directly 'treats/releases" that main pain generator right now.

gram, if i had not actually felt and seen the amazing results in my own body from what are constant generators(i cannot ever 'cure' my cystic disease, it will only get better after transplant when i go into kidney failure) of overly tightened fascia from a deteriorating spinal(c spine) and what this really sick kidney disease has been dong to my entire abdominal, with a teeny tiny body with increasing organ size from progressive cystic crap that has actually created kidneys that right now are well over four times the norm insize for me. i would not or could not realistically tell you to even try this. but it has really really brought my overall pain intensities down and this amazing myo PT i have has also been able to get rid of what have been hidious levels of actual trigger points i keep getting and two that had been under my R blade for well over a decade that were generated originally from even having that vascular glob inside my spinal cord to begin with. it took about one and a half months of weekly sessions at the very beginning, but dang, one day they were just gone for me. that blew me away since i had tried soo many different forms of real therepy and about a hundred or so actual TP injections over those ten years too?

i would honestly try and track down what is the MOST really experiened and knowledgabele myofascial release therepist you can find, since overall years of experience with this therepy really IS so much better for the patient. my therepist has even shown me just how i can release my own back psoas when things really start to get ugly back there(this just reoccurs since the cysts wont ever go away?). i started this therepy well over two years ago since i knew it helped with muscle and i HAD a ton of real muscle damage that was creating a ton of reoccuring pain from where they sewed up my incision for my posterior approach spinal cord sugery which of course required the standard lami from c 6- T 1, which has also created a ton of issues for me up there. i tried it and felt after the first few sessions it WAS helping and have stayed with this like every or every other week only becasue it WORKS amazingly well for what just IS constant inflammation from different sources always impacting my fascia/muscle and overly tightening it.

trust me gram, if this particular therepy can actualy work on my level of generators, it can also work on what is creating yours too. this IS something that i cannot recommend highly enough to you or anyone esle who is simply suffering ANY level of real solid muscle related pain or TPs. i do hope you can find a good experienced myo therepist in your area hon, mine seriously has soo lowered what were insane intensities of very real pain for me. just something i wanted to stress again in light of what sounds like inflammatory progression like i have. until that inflammed area actually even gets a real release in that fascia, i realistcally cannot see you getting any real solid releif since this just hits it at its very base or core. i hope you can give this a good solid try gram. marcia

Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Feelbad, I may have found my answer, I am so excited. Went to new chiropractor who I heard was good. He looked at xrays & report. He sd it was the bulging disc causing my pain. He put me on a machine that stretches you & I feel so much better already, no groin pain at all. He wants me to come in 3x's wk, I have Ins but it's still $35. co pay thats $420mo OUCH esp after I spent so much on other things like acupuncture. I'd love to find something on a smaller version to strech at home. I mentioned inversion table to him but he sd not the one w/the ankle straps, he sd there was a waist one. Wanted to let you know since you have been so thoughtful for so long.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

while it could very well be that bulged disc that is responsible depending strictly upon just exactly what nerves could be impacted there gram, if you have not yet had an actual MRI to really truely show what actual nerves are indeed being impacted within that herniated level, i would be very very careful with doing the traction at all for now til you CAN get that area MRIed? tho the lumbar is not as heavily innervated along with certain real inherent risks that the c spine just has with no MRI being done BEFORE even attempting any chiro adjustments there, depending upon just 'how' that bulge actually just IS impacting things around it if close to the spinal cord, its just a bit risky hon.

the thing you need to remember here gram is given how overly tightened everything just 'is' in and also around that area and just has been for sooo long now, ANY level of actual stretching out of that muscle WILL just make it feel better? but, its actually treating that fascia itself that in the long run is seriously going to help you much more in a better way since myo release actually treats the real underlying muscle issue itself, that overly tightening fascia vs simply stretching out any muscle that will kind of react like a rubber band in a way? it will help pretty much as long as it keeps being stretched(thus the NEED for the 3xs a week stretching being needed), but if this therepy actually stops for some reason, you are going to be right back where you started from, ya know what i mean?

believe me hon, i am always 'in' for any real therepy that actually helps someone relive what can be horrid levels of pain. but at the very same time here, you DO ahve to seriously take a good look at how the therepy itself is going to impact you in the longer run and how much you are going to have to be paying to simply have that stretching done over and over again too here?

while you would have to kind of do the very same thing with the myo release being done, once that initial built up over time fascial tightening goes down(and along with that the actual level of pain intensities too), its simply more "as needed" for you when things get too overly tightened again if there just IS a constant generator to that muscle/fascia still lingering? the one huge thing you have to remember here gram is you DID suffer a traumatic injury to your lower back area here too? that alone would have set off the initial over tightening when your muscles went into that guarding mode? some of what you actually have there is actually something that CAN be reduced or even made to go away just getting that initial traumatic fascia and muscle crap that naturally occurs out of the way so to speak? all of this i only know since it just IS what muscles that have suffered some level of real trauma just natually 'do'.

while i am thrilled you have found some way of relieving your overall pain hon, i just really seriously want you to fully realize how much this is just going to cost you, how things would be if you should stop this, and how much more myo could just seriously 'do" for what you just have going on there at all? and this chiro really is not 'treating' that source of the tightening within/around that muscle either? is he doing ANY actual adjustments on your low back at this point to try and treat the bulge at all? like i mkentioned above gram, if you have not yet actually even had an initial MRI with contrast done on that area, you seriously need to know, before he actually continues with this particular form of treatment and to simply really 'see' exactly what impact that bulge is actually having on what would be surrounding it like the nerve roots themselves, or depending upon just how large that actual "bulge just is and anything else like bone spurs being in the front of that cord area too(attached to the back of the vertebrae?), any possible impact that simply could take place upon your cord at all here?

i just sincerely here gram, want to know that you just really KNOW for certain what the deal is here and that above all else, YOU are okay in all ways. i just know that you have been suffering with alot for a very long time and want what is the best possible treatment for what your level of medical situation you are in here at all? just make certain hon that if you have not yet actually had that area MRIed to simply check the full surrounding impact of that bulge, that you DO actually get THAT done sooner vs later? that WILL show you just what may or may not even BE your actual generators here. just please be very very careful doing the traction gram. it, like any other therepy, can have a good/bad type of impact depending upon just what IS underlying that no chiro can actually see from simple x ray alone. just try and weigh the pros and cons here hon, thats all. at ANY time during the traction or after if you should just 'feel something' is not 'right' stop the therepy immediately and get an MRI or at least a CT since this therepy will change the inner landscape inside the whole spinal column,K? good luck with this gram, marcia

Closed Thread