It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• sciatic pain when sleeping after microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
    captainbruiser1
    (male)

captainbruiser1 HB User
    sciatic pain when sleeping after microdiscectomy

i had the microdisectomy last thurs. was scared but all went good. remover a lot of disc apparently. got home sat afternoon. all is well. by monday, sciatic (definately less aggresive) leg pain is back, thigh down to toes. especially sleeping...agggh i just cant sleep on my back, i try my side, pillow under leg and it just aches. am i doomed or is this normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
    Re: sciatic pain when sleeping after microdiscectomy

I don't know if what you are experiencing is normal...my husband just had a microdisectomy on L3/4 L5/S1... He felt a bit better the first several days, then he became active, way too active..and it has all gone down hill.... he bent over on Sat.....and we think that he has herniated one of the discs.... He had an MRI today...and hopefully we will hear from his surgeon really soon... Please....don't get too active too soon...and NO Bending...that is a biggie...rest/sit and heal....don't try to lift or do too much...just take it easy...watch TV/movies, read/sleep....but stay down for a bit....except to walk...which is supposed to be good for you... Good luck to you....

Sage

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
    rmarling
    (female)

rmarling HB User

captainbruiser1 - wondering how your pain is now after over a month. I just had Microdiscectomy December 8th and Now my leg pain is excruiating - more than just after surgery. Someone said it was because it was raining outside.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
    yoref
    (male)

yoref HB User
    Thumbs up Re: sciatic pain when sleeping after microdiscectomy

Just had my microD (L5-S1) on Monday 12/21/09. went home tuesday Morning. Must say things are marvelous. No pain at the wound site or down my right leg as before (since April 2009 when I had the herniation). Doing walking now and feel great, but NOTHING ELSE.
    As info up I'm a Soccer Referee at very high level (Pro, Amature, College, High School) and I am in excellent shape up until this thing in April 2009 and diagnosis by MRI (L5-S1). I know the game I did it in, and was pretty much crippled from Sciatic nerve pain after that. I went for 4 epidural steroid injections (usual is 3 ) and 1 piriformis block injection, all of which relieved alot of Sciatic pain, I was able to Referee Pro & College games thru the summer and fall with discomfort mostly after the games. I fractured my foot during a game in early October, but finished my season in November and a November MRI revealed that no additional damage was done by continuing to Officiate my games, at which time I scheduled to see a Neuro surgeon for options to relieve the sciatic nerve pressure and pain hopefully for good. I was close to trying one of the Percutaneous Discectomy ( spine wand or nucleoplasty) but was convinced by my last surgeon that the only cure for my herniation was the microdiscectomy because of the size of the herniation. Scheduled and completed on 12/21/09, and as of today I just completed a 3 mile walk with absoutely no pain or problems. I'm doing everything they say for days 1-7 and hopefully can bike and swim after 10 days.:angel

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
    rmarling
    (female)

rmarling HB User

YOREF -That's wonderful. My surgeon said that I had ligaments twisted in there also. I had this problem for probably 15 years, but didn't know what it was at first. Just thought my entire leg was going to sleep in the middle of the night. Freaky! I'm not a soccer ref, but somewhat active at age 54. However, surgery on Dec 8, incision is completely healed, but my left leg kills me to stand or walk. I think the nerves and ligaments are still trying to heal after being injured for so long. Are you still Not having any pain? That's amazing!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
    yoref
    (male)

yoref HB User

RMARLING- pain is NON-existant. even in the hospital no pain pump or anything (they were amazed) except one tylenol for headach from being under. Wound is not tender anymore, and getting ready to go for long walk trying to better 3 mi today. I'm also 54 but a regular Sunday for me would consist of 2 games at about a 9 mile run... so it goes, my goal is to be up and running to work the Presidents day soccer tournament at Disney which I do every year.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
    trlfb82
    (male)

trlfb82 HB User

I had my L5/S1 microdisectomy on 12/24. I tried everything since 6/09, but nothing worked. All my back muscles seized up on 12/20. I remained in the hospital where there mismanaged my pain. While under heavy apin killers they got me to agree to the surgery. I am trying to find out how much to walk, sit, stand. Can I sleep on my back? What do you recommend from your experience? I have much less leg pain and only pain at the wound site. I am not getting enough info. from my doctor to make me comfortable. I have not been able to sleep well.

Last edited by trlfb82; 12-27-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
    yoref
    (male)

yoref HB User

Yes to sleeping on back as long as the wound pain is tolerable. I put gauze patch on at night for a few nights to keep blood drops off sheets, but no drops any more. WALK LOTS... I just got back from 3.72 mi trip, and will go out again later. Sit on a somewhat hard chair, with knees level to butt or slightly below. Stand when you get sick of sitting, keep moving even if just around the livingroom. Try sleeping on side with knees bent up (fetal position) then go to other side same position, and on your back is ok too, my wound pain quit after 2nd night home. I can touch it now with no pain ( my surgery date was 12/21) KEEP MOVING.. NO LIFTING, AVOID TWISTING, ESPECIALLY GETTING IN AND OUT OF CAR.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
    rmarling
    (female)

rmarling HB User

MicroDiscectomy on 12/08, incision is healed, but horrible pain in thigh and calf pain when standing and/or walking. Hoping it's just the cold weather and I just need more time to heal. Anyone else have similar problem? I hope this isn't going to be this way forever. Not taking pain and muscle relaxers - they just don't work.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
    jewelhound
    (female)

jewelhound HB User

I had an L5 S1 microdiscectomy/laminectomy last Thurs. The excruciating leg pain was gone immediately (mine was due to a prior herniation not being absorbed back but rather solidifying next to the nerve roots - when I reherniated it was like pushing a rock into a straw - totally squooshed the nerve). I still have numbness/tingling in the left foot, which varies in intensity, and aches in the back and ankle while laying down. I'm assuming that the healing process will improve these things somewhat, so I'm giving it a month to straighten out before I become resigned to nerve damage.

The biggest stressor is anticipating having to have a BM. I'm paranoid that any straining at all is going to blow my back out again. I know it's gross, but what has been anybody else's experience with this? After going the nerve is a bit twingey, not terrible, but - ?

Otherwise I'm thrilled with my recovery so far and hope to get back to a normally active lifestyle quickly.

Thanks for listening.

Closed Thread