It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Having MRI with contrast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User
    Having MRI with contrast

I am afraid of the contrast. Can anyone give me any advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Having MRI with contrast

The contrast is just a dye injected to enhance the images. The will ask you if you have any history of any problems with things like iodine (or any other related product that may be in the contrast dye). The dye doesn't cause any pain or any affect at all, only the machine will know it's there when the images are taken. I've had it numerous times.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

what is it that you are actually afraid of with the contrast being used? the things that AZ mentioned are very true. BUT, the only people other than what she mentioned who should have any real concerns are those who have kidney disease or impairment of renal function. the dye, but ONLY in the people i mentioned can and does impact the overall kidney function in some with impaired function. this would show up with a simple kidney panel run, or as per protocal with most people even recieving any contrast medium, their creatinine and the potassium should always be checked out just to make certain that the kidneys can pass the dye out with no impact on the kidneys themselves.

but what i mentioned about the contrast and kidney is ONLY for those with confirmed renal impairment of some kind. other people with normal kidney fiunction really should have no problems at all getting that contrast out very safely. just drink alot of water post MRI or whatever type of test you are having that uses the contrast.

and if by some insane chance you do find that some function of the kidney is impaired? you can STILL have the contrast but before the test is done, starting the day before, the day of and the morning after, there IS a really wonderful med you can take that actually encapsulates that contrast and very safely passes it right thru the kidneys without it even BEING filtered thru them. its called 'mucomyst'. i have had to use this MANY many times espescially for the very heavily contrasted angiograms they do? i have a kidney disease but developed an actual brain aneurysm on top of all the other crap i have going on and had to have five seperate angios plus the aneurysm coiling itself which also uses alot more contrast too. when i took the muco as rxed before, i had absolutly NO changes in any of my kidney labs and also felt just fine after each test.

so there ARE some options here no matter what any labs would say too. but like i and AZ up there mentioned, for the majority of people, contrast is NOT any real problem.

just what type of testing are you going to have that uses contrast? it does matter since some tests simply require more than others. but if i were you, i really don;t think you have anything really to worry about using it, as long as everything is healthy overall. just get those kidney labs i mentioned done first as a precaution. they 'should" be just ordered automatically by the referring doc when using contrast anyways. Marcia

Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User

I am having an MRI with contrast on my lower back. I developed a drop foot and the first MRI was done without contrast and it didn't really show any problems so I'm not real sure what they are looking for.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User

Thanks for the quick reply. will keep you posted on my results, I go Tuesday.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User

My last labs were in August, they said those should be fine, I don't know about the pottassium.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

chances are that everything is still fine with the kidneys. they will usually also automatically run your potassium when checking any level of true kidney function too, so it was more than likely done and just fine or your doc would have mentioned something. the amount of actual contrast agent used for what you are having is also pretty minimal. so i really don't think you should have anything to really worry about in your particular situation. like i mentioned before? just drink as much water as you can after that test to just pass this stuff as quickly as possible(no real meds or contrast should just be left "sitting' in the kidneys for too long as a basic rule anyways). its just from only a safety standpoint and something i always did anyways even before i happened to find out at around age 40 that i even had a kidney disease that i was actually born with. no harm was done before then to my kidneys when i only had contrasted MRIs. i DO think you will be just fine with this.

i do hope that for your sake, that something shows up that can ID at least the base of your problems. good luck bl, Marcia

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User

Thanks,
    I was hoping to get my results tomorrow but it will be Wednesday. This came on all of a sudden so I'm not sure what's going on.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

just let us know what you find out BL. if possible for you, also try and obtain your very own copy of that MRI report. once you do that you can simply type out that summary that is right at the very end of the rad report here. we can help you to better understand the overall findings listed there in that summary. that is just where the radiologist will place all pertinent findings in ANY real rad report. you can obtain your own copy either thru your own referring doc, or usually much quicker(unless you are actually in the docs office gettingthe results and ask him), obtain one from the actual facility where you had the MRI done. and then continue to always request your very own copies from here on out of ANY and all types of real testing results done. even your labs do come in handy at times too, trust me on that one. you just DO have a right to all of that info anytime you want it. its just a good thing to start doing if you are not already doing this. keeping our own copies of all our test results just goes into a file we keep on ourselves at home. this stuff just really can help at times to have in our own possession. good luck withthe results BL, marcia

Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
    bayoulady1
    (female)

bayoulady1 HB User

Up Date on MRI, Everything was fine with my MRI, NO back problems. NOw he has ordered labs to see if there is something wrong with my immune system thats may be cauing my foot drop. NOw sure where else to turn for help.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Did the MRI include the brain? If not I'd request that too as the brain is a key part of the nervous system.

Closed Thread