It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• thecal sac reduction, hemangioma t7-t8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
    kimb670
    (female)

kimb670 HB User
    thecal sac reduction, hemangioma t7-t8

I have a large central disk extrusion at l5-s1, apparently it has reduced my thecal sac by 50 percent and my neuro has suggested surgury. He made this decision from my MRI. I also have a dics protrusion at c3-c4 at c5-c6 I have a para central disc protrusion extending posteriorly for 3mm with mild narrowing of the left lateral recess. I also have at c6-c7 left para central disc protrusion which is effaving the thecal sac anteriorly and at t7-t8 there is a central disc protrusion and a hemangioma is noted in the vertebrai body ????
    He did ask me to go to the ER if i loose bladder and or bowel function. I have no clue.

I thought of questions after my appointment and cant get in to see him for another 3 weeks, Im scared, Im faking it through work, single parent I have pain down both leggs into my feet, pain im my shoulders down my arms, my legs twitch and shake when i try to rest so i dont sleep well,,i have started on nerve medication, oxy, tylenol 3, anti inflamitories, muscle relaxers..i try to take as little meds as possible as my kids deserve a non addicted mom but i am waiting " 3-6 months" to get in to a pain clinic for diffrent things to try. Any Ideas on pain management would be great.. physio does NOT make the pain lesson, I just dont know how much more i can take, every day i have to focus so hard to get past the pain. My family Dr said he doesnt think back surgury will help. This is the result of car accident.

Is this tecal sac reduction serious?
    Is a hemangioma dangerious??
    what has helped your pain?

Please Please i need ideas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
    kimb670
    (female)

kimb670 HB User
    Re: thecal sac reduction, hemangioma t7-t8

Still hoping some one may have something encouraging or helpful for me...please

Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hello - I normally am over on the spinal board because my cervical was my overwhelming problem and where I have done all my surgeries, but I also have lots of thoraic and lumbar issues. My L5/S1 is completely centrally herniated out and I have bi-laterial sciatica, similar to your situation. I have not had lumbar surgery and not sure I am going to. Surgery isn't always the answer to taking away pain, I have 2 successful surgeries but I am still in pain. I was told same thing as you about bladder/bowel (cauda equina syndrome).

The good and bad about your thecal sac (surrounds your spinal cord) is at this level in your lumbar your spinal cord does not run that far down - it only contains nerves, the bad is that you could get cauda equina syndrome from the nerves being compressed and central herniations are more at risk to get it, but it is rare. You will know if you need to go to the ER. In my thoracic I have bulges and I have one at T6-7 that hurts quite a bit so I know how you feel, but I am in pain management for the total situation. I have a Hemangioma spanning T10-12 on the vertebral bodies now and it is not causing spinal narrowing and is not cavernous which is the type they really worry about. SOunds like your hemangioma is like mine so that was not a focus for the doctors other than they watch it.

For the leg pain I have found epidurals to help quite a bit and highly recommend it when you see the PM doctor. I have the pain on both legs all the way to toes and I have done epiruals since June 09 and successfully put that pain to a liveable level from not being able to sleep and walk.

I do not do any physio because every time I have tried it has made be worse off and they stop it. HEat and ice work wonders on that sciatica, especially ice that nerve on the backside of your leg for 20 mins at a time. I sleep with heating pad on auto-timer.

In the very beginning of my problems back 5 years ago I was medication averse, I was scared of it and didn't understand when used properly how it can make life liveable. People over exaggerate addiction - yes for some it is a problem, but most of us it is more dependence - our bodies get used to the medications and we would have withdrawal if we stop taking it, but if you take it as prescribed and follow doctors directions - the pain management people will ensure you safely use the medications. If you have a pre-existing addiction problem you probably need to put some steps in place to ensure you don't fall down that hole. The PM will help you choose the combo that will achieve your goals. I am on Fentanyl patch as my primary medication and I never feel doppy or high or anything - so finding the best med for you will help you function.

Sorry you have these problems, there are many of here with almost exact situations - it seems pretty bad now, but you can get a lot of this in a more acceptable range and eventually learn what works for you. Ultimately you need to listen to the doctors and if you think you need - get a 2nd opinion. Take care and if you have more questions or need support you can always Private Message me.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
    kimb670
    (female)

kimb670 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply ! It is so nice to know someone has some help...just to hear from someone helps. I seen a surgeon yesterday. He says there is a high rate of success but the fact that I have had this issue for over 4 years makes it less likley the pain will go away apparently. He also says my other herniations are not really anything to worry about. I tried to tell my numb fingers and the sharp pains in my arms that but they continue to nag me...I just dont know..I was so scared of meds too and the thought of back surgery ..well i think it would scare anyone I told the surgeon i would think it over and get back to him.

Closed Thread