It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
    hudson07
    (male)

hudson07 HB User
    Re: L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

I'm 8 weeks post-op at this point. With the exception of a few days here and there, my pain hasn't really gone completely away either. It's either a low back ache or somewhere in my right leg. I just finished up 2 weeks of burning/pain in my right foot. Thankfully that's gone away but I have some pain in my right thigh now. Weird how it moves around. I was hoping that the surgery would have been a miracle cure and I would have felt as good as I did 10-20 years ago but that probably had as much chance as me winning the lottery.

I've been back to work 4 weeks now. This past week I was on my feet a lot which gave me a nagging back ache. Haven't been back to see the surgeon in over a month as our schedules haven't matched up. Many others have said that it takes at least 6 mos. to start feeling normal again (well as much as any of us dealing w/ this can be normal). I hope my continued symptoms, albeit minor in the grand scheme of things, is just part of the healing process and not from reinjuring myself. I've tried to be good and not do too much but it's hard particularly if my wife isn't around to yell at me I'm not taking anything for the pain other than iburprofen occasionally. I was on hydrocodone and a muscle relaxant immediately after surgery but gave that up after a week since it wasn't helping that much. I find it best to just keep active by walking, sitting, standing, laying down, etc. but not doing too much or much of any one thing for too long. I've also been continuing with my PT exercises at home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
    pecantan
    (female)

pecantan HB User
    Cool Re: L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

Thanks for the information. However I think my surgery was a bit more. The time frame you guys returned to work sounds too soon (6wks)?. My surgery took place on 12/28/2009 it was a "Lumbar Decompression" I have like 2 maybe 4 screws in my back don't remember. But I also had some shavings done in the area as well.My Doc said if I was doing physical labor I would be 6mos... however I have a desk job - So possible 3 months. I was hoping for a return the first week of March, if nothing serious when I go back to see him on Fri. I will have another MRI on Thursday. I asked my doctor if he was going to go across the board - meaning both sides of my back left & right since both were causing a lot of pain. He said No he only did a partical of the right & most on my left side since that side was hurting the most. I want to return to work but I have to be sure all is well - it's too hard to start disability again. I may need to have another surgery one hs said less evasive. Not to serious. So long as I can walk w/out the pain it is okay. My right hand fingers are so numb at the tips. Have you experienced that?
    I thank you all for helping me understand some of the problems.
    the area was S/P Lumbar decompression make sense??
    I haven't done any lifting at all. Yesterday I cleaned my bathroom my husband said I'm moving too soon but had to do something!! I'll let you all know on Monday what happen after my Friday visit. wish me luck!!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
    hudson07
    (male)

hudson07 HB User

10 week post-op update - Met w/ the doctor today for my final (?) post-op visit. I told him my back was feeling better but am still plagued by persistent pain in my right foot. He didn't seem too concerned since the pain is not constant (it generally only bothers me when I'm laying down or sitting sometimes) and is not impacting my life. He said to give it another couple of months and if it still bothered me to come back. I asked if he thought I should get an MRI and he said no (for the same reasons). Other than that he told me not to gain weight, walk, don't smoke, don't drink. I was probably in and out in 5 minutes. Not exactly the most satisfying of doctor visits. Then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. It's not like he can just make the pain go away. If it's scar tissue there's nothing that can be done. If it's a fragment or if I've reherniated, it doesn't bother me enough (at this point) that I go for more surgery and risk further complications.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
    deanise
    (female)

deanise HB User

I am post op 5 months now from a laminectomy. discetomy well I continuosly complained to my surgeon that the only difference I now have is an incision in my back. He did not understand this and as to why I was constantly complaining so he decided to send me to a Pain Management doctor who in turn stated that he would make me feel better by prescribing 3 lower lumbar injections 2 wks apart of course. Well January 26, 2010, was my last lower lumbar injection and still suffering from the dull lower back pain, and sciatic nerve pressure in both of my legs moreso on the right side in which I had my operation. Well at this point I went back to see my surgeon to inform him that I still feel the same. So he decided to send me for another MRI and Xrays for he had grown concerned. Well after a couple of weeks of having all the requested exams I then returned to my surgeon where he stated that he was glad he had the Xrays with the 10 pound weights involved because they showed spondylothesis presence in which he stated that he did not think a fusion would be necessary when he did the first surgery lam/dis but now he sees that I have disk slippage of the vertebrae and he needs to go in a insert a cushion and fuse the spine. So if you are going through after surgery suffering the sciatic nerve pressure which in it self is nerve wrecking suggest to your doctor an Xray. I am due to have a spinal fusion on 3/25/2010, please keep me in your prayers.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
    pecantan
    (female)

pecantan HB User

Hi hudson7, I'm sorry to hear still no releif... I saw my surgen on 3/2, he'd had me to do a MRI w/contrast & it showed nothing, he said the pain I was feeling was only inflamation. He was correct!! b/c now I'm feeling much better. When it rains I get pain in the area that was treated with a nerve blockage. I swear it feels like someone is stabbing me with a dagger or something. But I hope you get some releif soon.
    It's been great chatting with you. I return back to work the 29th of this month I'm so happy - As I've been telling my co-workers that it's no Fun being under "House Arrest" b/c that is how I felt. My husband didn't allow me to do anything or go anywhere if he or my oldest daughter was not there.
    My surgen gave me a good report on my healing... I just could not be still. I had to clean or dust something 3 months is a long time.

I wish you a speedy recover & Feel Better Real soon!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
    isabeluma
    (female)

isabeluma HB User
    Wink Re: L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

[QUOTE=hudson07;4167457]I had a L5/S1 partial disectomy and laminectomy about 4 weeks ago. I've had back problems for the last two years despite all the traditional conservative care treatments. The first two weeks post-op were pretty rough. Significant sciatic pain (more than pre-surgery) as a result of the swelling and nerves being moved around. Third week was pretty much pain free. Saw surgeon and he thought I was doing well and started physical therapy. But the fourth week I began to have a bad back ache and some (not alot but some) sciatic pain. It hasn't gone away in over a week. I'm still going to physical therapy. Go back to the surgeron in 2 weeks for a final follow-up.

What were other folks recoveries like? Is it normal to have this kind bachache/pain 4 weeks after surgery? How long before you were "pain free"?I'm concerned that I may have reherniated the disc in that third pain-free week. Can a disc reherniate that easily?[/QUOTE]

Hey! How did your recovery go? I was reading all the threads, and just trying to find some answers for myself as I had a lami-disectomy 8 months ago and i still don't feel llike I'm fully recovered, and I feel I'm not even close to being fully recovered. I just keep having this sharp pain right between my right buttock and hip, i also thought I re-herniated the disc and I insisted the Doctor on having me do another MRI and it came fine, just a few other minor issues.
    Thanks..

Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #22
    isabeluma
    (female)

isabeluma HB User

Hey! how are you doing? did you have your fusion on march?
    I hope you are feeling better!! I also had a lami-disectomy last year on nov 18, and I''m in my 8th month of recovery, my situation is kind of frustrating since I no longer keep contact with the Doctor whom performed the surgery, so I'm seeing a General Doctor and i just feels he doesn't know much about back surgeries, ayways... i hope you are better!!! Hope to hear from you!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
    janiee08
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

isabeluma,have you had your SI joint (hip joint) checked out? this could be the source of your pain. this can be identified by a simple x-ray....janiee

Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
    Campiana
    Inactive
    (female)

Campiana HB User
    Smile Re: L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

[QUOTE=soCalman;4173048]I'm sure other people have had better success than we have had. I don't think people who had a good experience go looking for information on how others have faired, so this is what I would tell someone considering this surgery. Don't be scared by what you see here. Find out how many people where happy they had the surgery too. On that note, if I had to do it over, I would have waited longer, and tried more conservative approaches to minimize the pain, even though I did have two very bad sciatic attaks before I decided to have the surgery.[/QUOTE]

My experience when researching sciatica treatment and of course the eventual surgical option was really depressing. Everyone seemed like they had had multiple semi-failed surgeries with sciatic pain sometimes even worsening.

I was DETERMINED that if my surgery went well I would scrounge the message boards to let people know that it CAN go well, and there IS hope for a normal future.

I had a L5-S1 herniation that over the course of 3 painful years became an extrusion (it ruptured) and a free fragment lodged over my sciatic nerve pinching it. Another year of avoiding surgery (because of the scary message boards) and then I had TWO free fragments compressing my sciatic nerve. I went in for surgery squirming in pain...and I woke up with 0% pain. ZERO. Sure the incision site was tender for awhile, but my sciatica is GONE COMPLETELY. My life is back. There is hope. Alot of it comes with lowering your body weight if you are overweight, being positive, and researching your surgeon and his/her suggested procedure. It's your body - take charge of your care. Good luck everyone in pain. My heart absolutely aches for all of you out here still in pain. I think chronic back pain is the most horrible experience mentally and physically. Doctors (pain management, orthos, neuros, sports med) all see SO many back pain patients. Unfortunately the very few who are just complainers or drug seekers, combined with a feeling of hopelessness on the doctors' behalf, sometimes ends up with us getting less than complete sympathy and care. it is hard to treat 50 people who all claim 10 on a pain scale when there isn't ANY quick or 100% complete fix.

Even obesity and diabetes can be altered with time and dedication, but back pain will remain forever sometimes despite best efforts. Doctors DO become numb to it. This is why it is SO important to find a GOOD surgeon. If you feel uncomfortable, or confused or rushed find a better doctor. My surgeon was friendly, he had lots of ideas, suggestions, and never spoke as if this wasn't going to go just perfectly (other than the manditory shpeal). Also, unless your condition mandates it, i'd caution against fusion as a first attack. These boards are filled with fusions gone awry, but everyone I talk to about their microdiscectom is like "oh yeah....I don't even think about it. I was fine afterwards."

Good luck! Do your homework! BE POSITIVE!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-01-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
    soCalman
    (male)

soCalman HB User

Thanks, That's exactly what I wanted to hear, i think that only the people who's surgury went bad, or who are having trouble are going to be on these boards telling their story. I'm not saying that's bad, that's just the way it is, and I think I alluded to such speculation I was having about that in my original post.

UPDATE ON MY condition is that I can do most things, but then I get sore easily. I don't do much high impact movements, althought I can jog to my car, shoot a few baskets, but I don't do those kinds of movements for a cardiovascular workout because I think it will make my back hurt a lot. I'm not as good as I was before my microdiscectomy, but I am still only 10 months out from the surgury. I seem to loose my balance more now, but I'm not sure if that is my sciatic nerve or not. I suspect it is definately partially attributable to that. My last MRI, 3 months after surgury indicated some additional herniation. In the ADR denial letters I got from the insurance company, once of the doctors recommended another Microdiscectomy to remove the additional herniation. I do now agree with the majority of those doctors opinions in the denial that ARD was not the correct move at that time. I will not let them do ARD unless I was really bad, and I am not keen on fusion either. If I don't get another MDE, then I am hoping for stem cell therapies to be the answer some day. I'm 47, I'd like to get back where I can exercise. Does anyone think that is still possible for me???

Thanks all.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-01-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #26
    isabeluma
    (female)

isabeluma HB User

I've had a few lumbar MRI's and X-rays, is that what you are talking about?
    Thakn you!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
    mat s
    (male)

mat s HB User

I want to add myself to the list of people who are very happy with surgery.

5 years ago I had a microdiscectomy l4-5. It was a terrific success but I screwed up big time in one area. I didn't exercise enough. Then about 4 months ago I decided to run a mile. Boom! 2 months later the old familiar, debilitating nerve pain was back.

I didn't even screw around with alternative therapy. Got an MRI, went to my original surgeon (Dr. Bassewitz in las vegas). I had a new herniation l5-s1. The surgery took place on July 26 and I feel nearly perfect. There is ZERO pain. I still have a ways to go in terms of being able to flex my calf and stand on my toes, but there is ZERO pain! I was taking 10 to 15 10mg percocet each day for one month prior to the surgery. Even then I couldn't walk 5 steps without agony. Now, of course, no pain meds are necessary at all.

Anyway, I know it's not like this for everyone. But for those of you coming to these boards because you're afraid, I say do your research. Find a GOOD surgeon. Get multiple opinions, but realize that seemingly magical success is possible. And for those of you who have had this surgery, don't screw it up. Make your core as strong as you possibly can. I doubt I would have needed the second procedure had I followed that advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to mat s For This Useful Post:
    Gidge702 (01-28-2011)
    Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
    Gidge702
    (female)

Gidge702 HB User

[QUOTE=mat s;4302424]I want to add myself to the list of people who are very happy with surgery.

5 years ago I had a microdiscectomy l4-5. It was a terrific success but I screwed up big time in one area. I didn't exercise enough. Then about 4 months ago I decided to run a mile. Boom! 2 months later the old familiar, debilitating nerve pain was back.

I didn't even screw around with alternative therapy. Got an MRI, went to my original surgeon (Dr. Bassewitz in las vegas). I had a new herniation l5-s1. The surgery took place on July 26 and I feel nearly perfect. There is ZERO pain. I still have a ways to go in terms of being able to flex my calf and stand on my toes, but there is ZERO pain! I was taking 10 to 15 10mg percocet each day for one month prior to the surgery. Even then I couldn't walk 5 steps without agony. Now, of course, no pain meds are necessary at all.

Anyway, I know it's not like this for everyone. But for those of you coming to these boards because you're afraid, I say do your research. Find a GOOD surgeon. Get multiple opinions, but realize that seemingly magical success is possible. And for those of you who have had this surgery, don't screw it up. Make your core as strong as you possibly can. I doubt I would have needed the second procedure had I followed that advice.[/QUOTE]
    Hi Mat, I just wanted to thank you for your post. After so many negative posts about his surgery, I was worried about going through with it. I have been in excruciating pain for almost 5 months now and have tried EVERYTHING! I am desperate for my life back, as I have two children under 2 who I have not picked up in months. I was ecstatic when I got to the end of your post and realized that your surgeon (Dr. bassewitz) is my surgeon! Small world. I couldn't be happier to know I'm in great hands. I am now looking forward to life my back. Surgery is scheduled for 2/2/11. How long were you off of your feet immediately following surgery?
    Gidget

Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #29
    mat s
    (male)

mat s HB User

[QUOTE=Gidge702;4671850]Hi Mat, I just wanted to thank you for your post. After so many negative posts about his surgery, I was worried about going through with it. I have been in excruciating pain for almost 5 months now and have tried EVERYTHING! I am desperate for my life back, as I have two children under 2 who I have not picked up in months. I was ecstatic when I got to the end of your post and realized that your surgeon (Dr. bassewitz) is my surgeon! Small world. I couldn't be happier to know I'm in great hands. I am now looking forward to life my back. Surgery is scheduled for 2/2/11. How long were you off of your feet immediately following surgery?
    Gidget[/QUOTE]

You go home the same day if things work right. I don't have to lift anything at my job so I was only off work one week. I went out for pizza the next day. That was probably not the best decision, however.

Everything is still good. And I am VERY SERIOUS about going to the gym. Keeping in shape should be priority for everyone after this procedure.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

One word of caution: sometimes with these procedures, the patient feels immediate relief. Sometimes this is more a curse than a blessing as they are so eager to do all the things they've put on hold while in pain, that before they realize what they're doing, they have reherniated or at least caused a bad flare that sets back recovery.

If possible, arrange for help with your children for at least several days after surgery. While you may be told that recovery is a matter of weeks, the disc does not form a tough scab for up to six months. Since you don't want to repeat this surgery, pay attention to your restrictions, avoid activities that involve bending at the waist, twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling and lifting while you are recovering. The months immediately following surgery are not the time to push your restrictions to the limit, or take up a new activity that you're not used to doing.

I'm glad you have the same surgeon. That should provide you with a sense of confidence going in to surgery.

Please let us know how you are doing. We love good news!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Gidge702 (01-30-2011)
    Closed Thread