It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L4/L5 hemilaminectomy w/microdiscectomy post op pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
    glassladymn
    (female)

glassladymn HB User
    L4/L5 hemilaminectomy w/microdiscectomy post op pain

D Pretty new here....
    I have been dealing with some nerve pain in my right leg starting from my butt down the back of my leg to my heal the bottom of my foot to my big toe.....it is a tottally differant nerve pain than I had before the L4/L5 right hemi-laminectomy with microdiscectomy 17 days ago. When I woke up from the surgery I had a little numbness in my right toe and a little pain in my right butt. On the 6th day post op I had the pain down to my foot. I started gabapentin 3 days ago and that has helped more than any narcotis I had. I am just scared though because the med makes the pain lesson but my foot is kind of clumsy..not very cordnated as the left...my herniation was quite large and I was told it will most likley take a year to heal..so my qeustion is ...has anyone els had this pain after surgry and how long will it last..has any one els taken this med...how much walking should I do..what is a good schedule that is safe and realistic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
    Re: L4/L5 hemilaminectomy w/microdiscectomy post op pain

[COLOR="Navy"]The med that you are taking, Neurontin, works with nerve pain, that is why you are feeling so much releaf. There are several of them that do this, Neurontin is just one of them. I take it also.

You asked how long the nerve pain will last...The best I can tell you is that it will last until it is healed. Nerves don't like to be moved around and fussed with. The fact that you had a large herniation means that it was probably affecting your nerves. Now you need to give them time to heal. You didn't get this way in a year, and you won't heal in a day or two. Your doctor was being realistic when he told you to allow a year for full healing...and that includes the nerves.

Walking is the best rehab that you can do. I would walk as much as you can several times a day. Don't walk to the point that you overdo it though....you odn't want to go backwards.

hang in there, it will get better.[/COLOR]

Closed Thread