It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Discectomy / Lami - two months post op... Well?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
    rescuegreen3
    (male)

rescuegreen3 HB User
    Discectomy / Lami - two months post op... Well?

For those who are googling, searching or following my other thread http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4289947#post4289947

Here is where I am at now: open discectomy / lami 2 months ago today.

I am currently flat on my back, feet elevated with 4 pillows, typing on my iPhone 8 weeks since my laminectomy/discectomy L3/L4. The disc was severely ruptured, I probably waited too long, dreading and procrastinating the eventual surgery. All the while gobbling up Advil and tramadol thinking I could keep on toughing it out. Looks like all I was doing was eventually delaying recovery and creating more serious (potentially permanent) nerve damage.

So... At week 5 I started light PT to open up the facets, begin the mechanical aspect of repair. I actually was able to lay on my stomach for 10 minutes! Something I hadn't done since last April/May. I believe PT has been good. However, I still have the sciatic pain. Its probably anywhere between a 2-8 on the pain scale. I just had a 2 month follow up with my doc who said that at 2 months, it is somewhat a-typical that I still have sch sciatic pain. I take no narcotics or major meds anymore, just Advil & 1 tramadol per day. So, he just put me on Gabapentine for nerve neropathy. It hasn't really helped or hurt thus far. I do t feel anything quite yet but will be increasing my dosage gradually (I guess this is how it is prescribed).

So, that's where I am. I walk 3-4x per day. Take 10-12 200mg advil for swelling per day, can't sit in my office chai for more than 15 minutes without having to either walk or stretch for a bit. I have much better range of motion as a result of pT, still have soreness at the incision area, the sciatic pain still lingers but I am constantly aware of where it's at and manageable. I am still optimistic. It seems lime this is going to take a while to recover.

8 weeks... Tadaa! I hope this helps some of you. I'll check in at three months post op.

Best & happy healing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread