It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• I have spondylolisthesis - and need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #91
    ssofalvi
    (female)

ssofalvi HB Userssofalvi HB User
    Re: I have spondylolisthesis - and need advice

Mr Tinglefoot!!
    So nice to hear from you!! I am ecstatic that you are getting better so fast! I started physio last week and am fuly anticipating some improvement soon. My nerve pain is still down to my foot, but hopefully with some physio everything will be a bit better!
    Just wanted to say WAY TO GO!
    xoxoxoxoxo -S
    February 23, 2010 - Injury on the job.
    March 03, 2011 - Two-level fusion at L4-L5-S1 with hardware and lamenectomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #92
    TingleFoot
    (male)

TingleFoot HB User

you'll get there, sarah!

good luck to you.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #93
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I have a couple more thoughts for you, along the same principal of the towel. Try to be mindful at all times of how you sit and stand. Try to sit so your weight is distributed evenly between your "sit bones." I think of this as sitting "squarely." Same with standing. Be sure your feet are pointed straight forward and that the weight is distributed evenly -- you don't want to put more weight on one foot or the other...just as when sitting, do not put more weight on one buttock than the other. Do not cross your legs or ankles. Sit with both feet on the floor. Chances are quite good that you have been compensating for the sciatic pain...and it is important to be aware if you are favoring one side over the other.

Also, I just wanted to mention that I think almost every single spine patient continues to have some degree of "pain" after surgery. I am going in for my one year check-up tomorrow from my 3 level fusion. Since the 4th day I have been what I consider pain-free. But, if the weather is cold and damp, I have some aches. If I bend too many times in one day, my piriformis acts up, etc. and I expect this will probably continue for the rest of my life.

Perhaps some patients have the expectation of being completely free from pain after they heal from surgery...but I think that would be unrealistic.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #94
    TingleFoot
    (male)

TingleFoot HB User

so, i'm just a little over 4 months now. and i'm happy to report that things are still improving. a week ago i was having some leg discomfort and numbness in the front...it scared me a little, but i rode it out. promised myself if it wasnt better in one week that i'd make a call. and sure enough it worked itself out. that's been happening to different degrees all along. two steps forward, one step back. but once i'm over that particular hump, i feel great.

been continuing my therapy at home. and been using the pool. i just use some floats in the deep end and gently bicycle kick for a half-hour at a time. it feels fantastic...the muscles around the area relax instantly.

driving still sucks. but again, it is improving. the towel trick is helping.

also, it's amazing how many people i've run into since my surgery who've had vertebrae fused! anywhere from 18 y/o to 60. he11, i even found out a cousin three states over had it done years ago!

anyhoo, hope all is well. i gotta keep on, keepin' on!

it's only 4 months, and i'm happy with my decision...but i'm still not ready to say [I]it[/I].

Closed Thread