It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Any Positive Remarks about Microdiscectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2001, 07:30 PM   #1
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User
    Any Positive Remarks about Microdiscectomy?

Hi - I'm scheduled to have a microdiscectomy (L5-S1) on March 13th.

I believe I've got a very good neurosurgeon who will be doing the operation. We have discussed the pros and cons. In my case, it seems there are more pros to have it. He believes I have some nerve damage. I have mostly leg pain/numbness (sciatic nerve), rather than actualy back pain. Also pain in butt area. I would like to add that I have tried Physical Therapy, including McKenzie exercises. Helped for a while, but not enough relief. It has been just over a year now with this problem.

Just looking to hear any comments about microdiscectomies at this level.....any helpful hints, suggestions, ANYTHING!

Thank you.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
    L5nAlive

L5nAlive HB User
    Re: Any Positive Remarks about Microdiscectomy?

Hi Sue. You might have read some of my not so positive feedback about my microdiscectomy that was done a couple of weeks ago. Every day is different. Although I had a a couple of real scares over the past couple of days, I must admit that today has been one of my best days! Although I'm continuing to take my medication, I went through the day today without any pain to speak of.

I don't know what your Dr. has told you about recovery, but I'm now being told to be patient and that I should expect different sensations over the next 4-8 weeks.

I would say at this moment that I am very happy that I had the surgery, compared to where I was prior. I was exactly the same as you. I couldn't walk, sit, stand, sleep, etc. However when I met my doctor (through a good referral) and he saw how bad my pain was, he arranged to have me in the OR the next day at a trauma hospital! So when you say that you're scheduled for March, why must you suffer so long?

Hope this helps. Best of luck. Let me know if there's anything else that I can enlighten you on, based upon my own experience.

L5

Old 02-05-2001, 05:25 PM   #3
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User

Hi L5!
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I've been reading all of your other posts. Very interesting. I AM able to walk, sit, stand and go to work. These past few days haven't been THAT BAD for me....don't know why. Last month I was having a VERY bad time of it though. When I would stand, I could only stand about 1 or 2 minutes, then my right leg would go numb. If I sleep "straight," my leg goes numb. I always have that sciatic nerve pain, right down to my foot. My toes used to tingle all the time, but after physical therapy, that went away. Been putting up with all of this since December, 1999. So, like I said, this week isn't AS BAD, but the past.....whoa, look out! I couldn't take it any more. I can't figure out why some days are better than others.

So far, you're still glad you had the surgery? I was told that after surgery my legs might tingle alittle bit, due to the nerve being un-compressed. Did you feel these symptoms? The doctor said it might happen about 4 or 5 days after the surgery. How does your incision site feel? I'm sure it is sore, but wondering if it is unbearable?!?

I believe I need this surgery to prevent any other damage. I have a lot of trust in my doctor. I did go for approximately 4 opinions. Then I found this doctor. I think he's pretty good and have heard good things about him. Other patients seem pleased also.

Thanks again for the info.....I'll be in touch with you a lot, I'm sure!

Sue

Old 02-05-2001, 08:34 PM   #4
    L5nAlive

L5nAlive HB User

Hi Sue!

Well another good day! I'm starting to see some light in all of this. Tomorrow morning I'll see my doctor and hopefully, I will be even more informed of what I should anticipate down the road.

I think that I have found the right balance of medication. With respect to the incision, it really doesn't bother me that much anymore. I still feel sore back there, but I think its more to do with the areas where the discs were affected during surgery. My Dr's nurse gave me this description the other day: Imagine falling on the ground and scraping or cutting your knee. A scab forms after the healing starts. The same idea inside. As the wound heals some form of scab or whatever forms. The nerves don't really know the difference and they recognize it as something else in the way again. But it will go away. Also the nerves, now that the disc materials are no longer pushing against them, are once again trying to reestablish themselves. They need to heal and I need to allow time for that to happen.

Sleeping is also getting easier. The biggest problem is not becoming one's own worst enemy, if you know what I mean. I have to try to take it easier than I have been. I think you'll be glad once it's over, and the pain medications do the job. Unfortunately, I have been through some rough surgeries, besides this one. I would say that having ACL reconstruction was worse. I think you should be able to handle the microdiscectomy without too much difficulty. Just have your significant other close by to take good care of you!

Regards
    L5

Old 02-05-2001, 08:57 PM   #5
    Luvcarosel
    Inactive

Luvcarosel HB User

Good luck with your surgery. The symptoms you were having sounds just like mine. Did you have severe pain at night when sleeping?
    almost like your legs couldnt relax, a tense feeling? My toes would feel like they were curled up and I couldnt bend them back into shape. What exactly was your diagnosis?
    Thank you .

Closed Thread