It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L4-L5 MRI Results(Can anyone help understand these?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2001, 10:31 PM   #1
    Luvcarosel
    Inactive

Luvcarosel HB User
    L4-L5 MRI Results(Can anyone help understand these?

In april 2000, I was diagnosed with L4-L5 bulging disk paracentral and to the left. I had traction therapy and also I just in the last month received 2 steroid epidural injections which did not help. I asked the Dr to repeat the MRI since it has been almost a yr to see if there are any changes.
    I had the MRI on Jan 10 here are he findingd my Dr will not be back til Feb 20th
    from venzuela and i want some type of answers if any one can help. MRI: The L4-L5
    level there was dessication of the intervertebral disc. There is marked spinal canal stenosis at this level caused by central disc bulge as well as facet hypertrophy. At L3-L4 there is a mild spinal canal stenosis and facet hypertrophy. When compared to the previous study, there was no change in the appearnace of the lumbar spine. The impression: Stable appearance of moderate spinal canal stenosis at the L4-L5 level caused by facet hypertrophy and central disc bulge. Iam in alot of pain especially walking I become so irritable and frustrated I cant take the pain. I wake up at night with aches. I want to think that maybe there has been a change for the good but I really wonder because now the pain is not only in the right leg but also the left . The burning firey pain in my left thigh is still there. Please if anyone can hep I'd appreciate it. Thanks Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2001, 08:24 AM   #2
    junior
    Inactive

junior HB User
    Re: L4-L5 MRI Results(Can anyone help understand these?

Hey Lisa! Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I don't know if I can help but I will try. I also had an MRI three years ago and they said live with it. When my walking (I mean the exercising type) started bothering me, I went back and had another MRI. The first showed two herniated discs at level L5 and S1, the second showed a third disk problem at L4 so they did an discogram which is a test that simulates your pain and then to make sure there was no nerve compression, I had a myleogram yesterday. My neurosurgeon isn't expecting nerve compression because my pain is mostly in my back and not in my leg but regardless both my neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon are recommending a two level spinal fusion. Also my S1 disk is dessicated which means it practically no longer exists, it is flat. So I am at a point trying to decided whether or not to have the surgery. I have a friend who had endoscopic discotemy (not sure about that spelling) four months ago and is doing great. This procedure is alot less intrusive that open back surgery but my doctors don't believe in it. My husband wants me to go to Vanderbilt and meet with these doctors. If I found out anything, I'll let you know. When your doctor gets back he will probably put you through at least the discogram before deciding what to do. I also had two epidurals that didn't work so our problem sounds very similar only I have one more bad disk than you. Anyway, didn't mean to be so wordy but hope this information helps. If I can do anything else, just let me know. Good luck!Judy

Old 03-14-2001, 04:12 PM   #3
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    Re: L4-L5 MRI Results(Can anyone help understand these?

I hate it when Dr.'s make you wait to see something that's so important to you. Anyway, I also had an MRI done in my L4-L5 6 months ago, it showed herniated disk at that area. I've had 6 months of conservative therapy and nothing. Today I had another MRI done to see if the disk is herniating even more, which I suspect it is, due to increase in pain over the past months. I will not be able to know my results until FRIDAY or MONDAY. Hopefully the sooner the better.

Keep us posted!
    joe

Closed Thread