It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Twitching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2001, 09:06 PM   #1
    SD-Steve

SD-Steve HB User
    Twitching

Recently I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis by a neurologist following an MRI. I am scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon in a few weeks. Among the diminished sensations in parts of the body & weakness, I have been experiencing twitching for a long time, at various locations in the body, throught the day and night. Until today nobody suggested explanation to the twitching and I was told that they are not related to anything specific. During my vist today to a nephrologist, he made connection to the cervical stenosis. Has anyone experienced similar sympotms?

Thnx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2001, 05:30 AM   #2
    Kelley425

Kelley425 HB User
    Re: Twitching

Hi Steve -

I too have recently experienced twitching. I do not know the cause but just thought I'd let you know that I have it too. I have a herniated disc at C6-7, and have had two lumbar laminectomies. You did not say what was twitching...my muscles in between my shoulder blades on the right side are what is giving me the problem. In fact, that area is sore to the touch as well. Maybe somebody on here can help us out.

Kelley

<p>[This message has been edited by Kelley (edited 04-03-2001).]

Old 04-03-2001, 08:07 AM   #3
    SD-Steve

SD-Steve HB User

Hi Kelly,

The twitching is in various areas. It can be on the arms, thighs, legs, back, face with various intensities. On the face normally it is with the eyelids and at times I think it is unnoticeable from the outside. On the other hand, in other areas, it can be seen/felt. In addition to twitching there is also a periodic jerk of the hand. Many times I do not even realize that, but my girl friend tells me that she feels it, even when during sleep. Very strange. I have not heard of such thing on this board (I'm a new member) and since it was suggested yesterday that it might be related to the cervical stenosis, I thought I'd check here.

Thanks,

-Steve

Old 04-05-2001, 12:32 PM   #4
    PatG

PatG HB User

Hi Steve: I am a 52 year old woman with spinal arthritis and degenerating disks. I have problems in low and mid-back plus had neck fusion in June, 2000, at C5-6. I have more disk bulges in my neck and arthritis is on many vertebre and in facet joints. I DO have muscle twitches in my legs and arms. I believe it is caused by the nerves being pinched in my facet joints. There is the main spinal nerve and then the smaller nerves pass through these small openings in the small spinal joints which are facet joints. These smaller nerves control the legs and arms. Due to my arthritis being in these openings where the nerves pass through and of which are basically getting "raked over" by the arthritis, it causes the muscles to twitch, as well as causing muscle spasms, I believe. I also get a lot of burning and cold sensations in my hands and feet, as I have this condition throughout my spine. I have never been overweight, but I have done a lot of lifting throughout my life. As I am a fairly small boned woman, I believe that is what has caused my spinal arthritis. Hope I've been of some help. (right now have nausea due to a flu that is going around, so if my message seems a bit "spacey" that is why). Take care, PatG

Old 04-06-2001, 01:10 PM   #5
    SD-Steve

SD-Steve HB User

PatG,

Thanks for your post. I exprienced twitching for a few years now, but only lately a connection was made to the neck problem. However, I also have them on the face, and after reading on newsgroups, I understand that others have them too, and not necessarily related to same problem. For me they are just annoying, and I can learn to live with them. If they go away, with or without surgery, then I feel I got a bonus.

I hope you feel better soon.

-Steve

Old 04-07-2001, 10:36 AM   #6
    2blue

2blue HB User

I connect my twitching to cervical spine because I experienced them for the first time just three weeks after my cervical spine fusion surgery. Never had this before.

I've needed to have this fusion re-done after the graft resorbed and the C spine collapsed. Plate broke inhalf. The re-do surgeon told me that spinal stenosis was now there because of the 1st failed fusion. Just a mess. Hence, the twitching has not stopped even after two rounds of fusion surgery. Infact, if anything the twitching has spread. I'm never been given any real medical explanation as to why I twitch. I'm assuming it's to do with hypersensitive irritated spinal nerves. I did have upper limb EMG testing...nil finding, benign. EMG is the test that should be carried out for any twitcher. They do need to eliminate other issues that might be of concern. ALS/Motor Neurone Disease. I don't have that problem because my twitching has gone on for 6yrs now with little progression, no more muscle atrophy than what I had prior to fusion surgery. I do believe it is probably related to spinal myelopathy. Just my hunch about this.

Old 04-08-2001, 06:29 PM   #7
    Larry 46

Larry 46 HB User

If I may, there are a couple of things that can cause muscle twitching and spasms. Beyond the nerve compression in your spine, which can deffinately cause spasms and jerking of the extremities, there is blood calcium levels and magnisium blood levels. Both of these minerals are used by the muscles and nerves to produce movement. If one or the other is too low or too high, you can get spasm/twitching. Also, anytime there is need by the body to rebuild bone, it will take calcium out of the blood stream and muscles and use it for bone repair. Since we all have some bone involvement(yes, I have a spondylolethisis, spondylosis and arthritis from L4 to S1 along with stenosis of L5-S1) we all need more calcium/magnisium. If you are not drinking 3-4 glasses of milk a day or taking a calcium magnisium suppliment, check with your doctor. You may find that it helps

Regards.....
    Larry

Closed Thread