It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• constant lower back pain for year now

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2001, 03:45 AM   #1
    Deirdre1957
    (female)

Deirdre1957 HB User
    constant lower back pain for year now

I am suffering from lower back pain for going on a year now. I had a similar episode about 3 years ago, had an MRI and was diagnosed with a slight herniated disk.

I was also wondering about opinions on Dr. Sarno's books. I saw him on Larry King, and am very impressed with his take on back pain. I tend to somatize a great deal, and wonder if this constant ache could really be due to stress alone. I guess I sort of subscribe to his beliefs since during my last episode of back pain - which lasted close to a year - the pain eventually went away completely. I was pain free until about last May. Unfortunately, there is a tiny part of me that wonders if it isn't actually physical, and so I can't follow his treatment method 100%. If I bend over, it hurts, if I hold something heavy, it hurts. I can't sleep on my stomach, and no matter what wake up stiff in the mornings. There are periods when the pain seeps down deep into the buttocks, and then after a few weeks that will go away. Now, however, it is just this constant stiffness and deep ache. Aspirin does nothing, and I haven't tried anything else. I have been exercising again, and at first it helped a bit, then it started to hurt more.

Anyone else have this sort of constant, always there pain? I am thinking I should go back to the orthopedic doc, as I am starting to get a little paranoid about this. I am afraid it could be a tumor or something. I know people who have back pain, but it usually comes and goes for them.

Thanks.

- Deirdre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2001, 09:59 AM   #2
    PatG

PatG HB User
    Re: constant lower back pain for year now

Hi Deirdre1957: I am sorry that you have had to find yourself here due to back pain. The fact that the pain is so deep and that it is now radiating to your buttocks is a sign that something is definately going on in your lumbar area. It is possible you could have the beginning of a disk bulge that is starting to press on some spinal nerves, which is what your MRI showed several years ago. This bulge may be starting to get a little larger; your symptoms are similar to when my back problems started. There is a type of physical therapy called McKenzie physical therapy. I believe it is from New Zealand originally. A physical therapist will show you exercises which would basically push that disk bulge back into plaace. This is usually where a doctor will start: physical therapy. If that does not help you, then you and your doctor will have to start another plan of action. If a person has continual back pain, it does not necessarily mean the person has a tumor. I, and many others here, have continual back pain. I have spinal arthritis and degenerating disks. All people, as they age, tend to get degenerating disks, as the disks tend to dry and flatten out as people age. Some people's disks "go out" sooner than others. What you are experiencing is quite common among us back pain sufferers. Your doctor will most likely order another MRI to see if the bulge is increasing or if it has herniated totally. From your symptoms, it does not sound like it has totally herniated; however, the bulge may have gotten bigger.

I notice you are from Italy. I have another back pain poster who I email with back and forth weekly. Although she now lives in the USA, her family is from Italy. She talked about the wonderful silky sheets that are made in Italy. Her parents may very well still be living there. This lady is very wise when it comes to back pain and she is so kind and encouraging. She will hopefully read this post; she visits these back boards quite often to read posts. How nice it would be for her to post to you about her family in Italy and her back pain experiences. She really knows her stuff, too.

Anyway, I hope I have been of some help to you. Take care, PatG

Closed Thread