It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Discectomy and Laminectomy what's the Diff ?!!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    Discectomy and Laminectomy what's the Diff ?!!?

I'm going to my nero next week to speak to him about surgery. I just want some opinions out there about Disectomy and Laminectomy. How are they different and which one has more recovery time, hospital stay, etc.... I have a badly herniated L4-L5 Disk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2001, 01:38 PM   #2
    brena234

brena234 HB User
    Re: Discectomy and Laminectomy what's the Diff ?!!?

Let me pull out my little presurgery book with the nice pictures. ok here goes. Laminotomy-remove part of Lamina(bony protrusion)
    Laminectomy-remove all of Lamina
    Both are done to relieve pressure and to allow surgeon to get to the disc.
    Diskectomy-removal of a portion of the nucleus of the disc by making a "window" in the outer rings.

Hope that helps. Otherwise check out yoursurgery.com

Best of luck,

Bren

Old 03-01-2001, 02:15 PM   #3
    brena234

brena234 HB User

Sorry, I forgot to answer about the recovery and hospital stay stuff. I had a L5/S1 laminotomy microdiskectomy on Jan 19th. I was walking that afternoon and out of the hosp the next day. Felt great within a few days and was good for 2.5 weeks. Then my pain came back and now I have and MRI tonight to see if I reherniated. Results Monday from doc. Normally, you should be doing really well around 6 weeks post-op. You get to wear support socks for 2 weeks and a corset for six.(mine comes off Monday).

Not sure if recovery is different if they only do a laminectomy. Hope this helps.

Bren

Old 03-01-2001, 10:43 PM   #4
    L5nAlive

L5nAlive HB User

Hey Bren!

I'm curious. My doctor never said anything about wearing socks, corsets, etc. My surgery was on 1/17 and I stayed two nights in the hospital. Tomorrow mornng I start therapy (I mean this morning) at 7:15 AM. I better get some shut eye or my wife will dis-own me when I don't wake up!

Hope you're doing better. BTW, I had the same question about the two terms since my doctor has used both when referring to my surgery.

Regards
    L5

Old 03-02-2001, 08:41 AM   #5
    brena234

brena234 HB User

Hi Everyone-

I wonder how they decide that stuff. I was young, in good shape, good spirits, etc. I think that the way they did it was the usual for here.

I actually got a list that told me what things I was allowed to do post op and when. ie. cook at 2 weeks, sweep at 4 weeks etc etc. The socks were for blood clots. I asked about them since I didn't have to wear them after my c-section and they do them for all surgeries here now. I've had the corset on constantly(except for showers and my MRI last night) for 6 weeks. Hated it at first, now kind of afraid to be without it.

Had my MRI last night (because pain has been back) and will find our Monday if I reherniated and if they'll do more surgery.

L5-sounds like you are doing well. Are you pain free and a success story? I sure hope so. How did PT go?

Cissy-totally agree-sounds like all docs are different, I just didn't realize it. What did you have done and how are you doing?

Have a great weekend!

Bren

Old 03-02-2001, 08:51 AM   #6
    brena234

brena234 HB User

L5-

I just read another one of your posts and it jogged my memory(I've been hanging out in another forum and get people confused). How are you doing? We are in the same boat I think with the pain coming back. Did they find anything on a post op MRI? How did PT go? Helpful or not? Hope all is well.

Bren

Old 03-02-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
    L5nAlive

L5nAlive HB User

Hi Bren, Cissy1, et al!

With respect to the difference in approaches with doctors, I also agree. I had the surgical stockings for clots while I was in the hospital, but nothing beyond that. As far as activities go and what doctors will allow, I think to some extent, they are salespeople and will feel out/react to what the patient/customer tells them. In my case, I'm an accountant. My doctor totally understood my concern for the time of year and the amount of time that I would be down. So it was apparently OK for me to return to work the next week. I bet that if I had not presented this as an issue prior to surgery, he may have been a bit more conservative with me and told me that I would need to be home for a few weeks, etc.

As to my PT today, oh boy, am I going to feel it tonight. I'm going to take the same mindset that I had when I had PT for an ACL reconstruction of my knee.. no pain, no gain. BUT in moderation! I believe that I will be able to recognize the differences between soreness and real pain. It's only day one for PT, but I think that I will get the pains that keep the medicine companies in business, out of business, at least for me.

My real frustration is not having known about the pain possibilities in advance. If we are prepared, then we can handle it. Now that I know better, I think my rehab is going to take a more positive step.

Night night everyone!
    L5

Closed Thread