It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 5 weeks post Microdiscectomy - When did you start to feel better??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
    PaulIre
    (male)

PaulIre HB User
    5 weeks post Microdiscectomy - When did you start to feel better??

Hi All

First time to post here..

I am 37 healthy male, damaged L4-L5 disc about 3 years ago and it never completely got better so finally decided on microdiscectomy 5 weeks ago..

I know a few people who had it done and seemed to breeze through recovery.. I am now five weeks post op and still in a huge amount of pain, mostly around lower back plus some mild sciatica from time to time..

Posts here seem to be mainly from people who felt way better after 3-4 weeks like the people I knew or people who are still in pain 4-6 plus months down the road..

Has anyone heard of people who after 2-3 months had there problem resolved??

I guess after 5 weeks Im struggling now with the recovery and would love to hear some good news stories about people who felt the same as me but who now are feeling better..

Any thought really appreciated..

Thanks!
    Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
    maltluver
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
    Re: 5 weeks post Microdiscectomy - When did you start to feel better??

Hi Paul. Welcome to the board. Have you reported this to your surgeon? After the surgery were you very careful not to lift more than 10 pounds and did you do no bending, twisting, etc? I don't want to scare you, but it's very easy to re-herniate after surgery. Have you been faithful in doing your walking?

Another thought is that it could be scar tissue forming. The best thing for that is walking, walking, walking. Rest for a few days, then begin your walking, short, slow walks, gradually building distance. Speed is not as important as much as how far you walk. That helps keep the scar tissue from wrapping around a nerve.

If you haven't been diligent in following the doctors orders, I think it would be wise to give him a call, maybe have a new MRI to be sure there is nothing more going on. He may not feel that necessary, and in that case, just do exactly as he says and hopefully, you will start feeling better soon.

I hope you will stay in touch with us and let us know how you are doing. Remember, it isn't unusual to have a bit of a setback, so try not to be overly concerned, but do listen to your body.

Best wishes.

Carol
    Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
    PaulIre
    (male)

PaulIre HB User

Hi Carol

Thanks for your advise - yeah I pretty much didn't do any bending or twisting - bar one twist a week after and felt I did something to it - I'm really hoping I just hurt a ligament or something and not re-herniation!!

My check up is in about two weeks so i'm gonna order MRI and see what's what. I actually couldn't walk anywhere for first 3-4 weeks cause I spained my ankle!! I'm only back walking last week or so - trying to walk a mile slowely twice a day - maybe it's just sore cause i'm only bad walking in last week or so...

I really hope so!!

thanks for the support!!

Paul

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Since you weren't able to walk after your surgery, you may be having a problem with scar tissue. It tends to fill in from about the third week and grows quickly for several more weeks after that...I can' quite remember but it's about 8 weeks, or so. During this time, it can attach itself to a spinal nerve and cause pain that is similar to what you were feeling prior to surgery.

If a patient begins to see improvement after surgery for several weeks, and then finds that similar pain is returning, it can be from a reherniation or from the formation of scar tissue.

This would be something to ask your surgeon about when you see him next.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
    hausofmouse
    (female)

hausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB User

Hi PaulIre,
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling so well. I am exactly 7 weeks post-op on my second micro (same one done 4 months apart) and still am having a significant amount of pain. I never got rid of the pain (well except for the nerve pain for a whole whopping 3 days!) after my first microdiscectomy. I re-herniated and had to have mine redone. UGH!!
    I am HOPING that this time the nerve pain will go away and soon. Not to scare you, but I really haven't had any relief since I actually ruptured my disc back on 9/8/10. I wish you the best and am curious to see what others have to say/share regarding how long their pain lasted and when they actually started to feel relief.
    Best wishes that you feel better quickly!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hausofmouse For This Useful Post:
    NYTOM (03-23-2011)
    Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
    NYTOM
    (male)

NYTOM HB User

hey paul,

I know what you are going though im about 16 weeks and and my l5-s1 are reherniated it sucks but please be agressive and dont take no for an answer , ask for other opinions.... ask for another MRI with contrast in about two weeks thats why i did and found out about the reherniation and some other problems hang in there it will get better!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
    PaulIre
    (male)

PaulIre HB User

It sucks alright - was hoping to be a lot better at this stage - I'm gonna get the MRI and what that says..

Some day I hope all this wil just be a bad memorey!

The following user gives a hug of support to PaulIre:
    jeanniebugs71 (04-04-2011)
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
    PaulIre
    (male)

PaulIre HB User

So had check up today - good news is it's not reherniated!! But doc said there something wrong - hopefully he reckons, some scar tissue around the nerve which he says can be resolved by steroid injection using an ultrasound to visualise it.

So getting that tmw and will give that a week. I'm really hoping or some improvement after that - 6 weeks on and can still barely sit down!

Fingers crossed!

P

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
    maltluver
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

I'm glad the MRI was negative for new problems and hope that you will get the relief you need from the steroid injection. Once it takes effect (generally within a couple of days to a week) you can begin a walking program. Start by short walks a few times a day and gradually build to longer distances. Walking will help with the scar tissue problem. Keep in mind that the injection will calm the inflammation, but is not a permanent fix most times, so walking will be the most helpful thing you can do. Remember not to push too hard.

If, in a few weeks, the pain hasn't subsided, you may need further imaging, but most times that won't be necessary....at least, not in my experience.

Best of luck.....and please stay in touch.

Carol
    Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
    hausofmouse
    (female)

hausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB User

PaulIre,

So glad to hear that you did not reherniate! That is wonderful news!! I do know that I had a significant amount of scar tissue after my first surgery and the NS removed as much as he could (don't know if he took all of it, but the surgical notes led me to believe he did) when he went in to redo the microdiscectomy. But anyway, I do hope that the steriod injection offers you the relief that you so need/desire. And that this helps towards a successful healing. Please let us know how you are doing after your injection.

Good Luck with the injection!!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
    jeanniebugs71
    (female)

jeanniebugs71 HB Userjeanniebugs71 HB User

[QUOTE=PaulIre;4711148]Hi All

First time to post here..

I am 37 healthy male, damaged L4-L5 disc about 3 years ago and it never completely got better so finally decided on microdiscectomy 5 weeks ago..

I know a few people who had it done and seemed to breeze through recovery.. I am now five weeks post op and still in a huge amount of pain, mostly around lower back plus some mild sciatica from time to time..

Posts here seem to be mainly from people who felt way better after 3-4 weeks like the people I knew or people who are still in pain 4-6 plus months down the road..

Has anyone heard of people who after 2-3 months had there problem resolved??

I guess after 5 weeks Im struggling now with the recovery and would love to hear some good news stories about people who felt the same as me but who now are feeling better..

Any thought really appreciated..

Thanks!
    Paul[/QUOTE]
    So sorry your still in pain don't mean to scare you or be a debbie downer! but i also had what you had done and was same way! and it never did get better and i had to have a fusion done dont give up on recovery its still only 5 weeks those muscles and nerves are mad at you for being messed with......give it time and it will get better cause the next surgery up is omg the worst in the world!!!!! be strong and walk and take one day at a time and dont let the pain win!

Closed Thread