It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Correcting posture - tingling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
    Duke567
    (male)

Duke567 HB User
    Correcting posture - tingling?

Hi there, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this as it's had me a bit worried for a little while.. For the past couple of months I've been experiencing a lot of tingling (occasionally turning to numbness) in my extremeties throughout the day, usually when sitting. It's mostly in my feet but sometimes spreads to the lower leg and I do get it in other areas too to a lesser degree; my hands and even my groin when I've been sat in some positions for a while!

I know these sorts of symptoms could almost be anything.. I've had my iron, vitamin B12 and blood sugar tested (my blood pressure's always been very low so I can't imagine that it's suddenly having this new, pronounced effect on me) and both were fine so the doctor seems happy to let me get on with it now but obviously the symptoms are quite disconcerting. What I'm wondering is if it could be down to the fact that I've been consciously trying to correct my lower back posture recently? I've always had a bit of a hollow back (sticking my stomach and backside out) so I've been constantly tucking my hips under whenever I've thought about it for a while.. This had lead to bits of lower back ache which I imagine is to be expected but could it also be causing the tingling and numbness? Maybe a nerve getting aggravated by the shift in position?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Correcting posture - tingling?

I wanted to welcome you to the board and acknowledge your post even though I don't really have any suggestions for you.

The nerve tingling may be a nerve or nerves that gets briefly entrapped when in a particular position. My hands get tingly and it is due to ulnar nerve entrapment. Many people get numbness in their legs or feet when sitting in a particular position for too long.

If you don't develop other symptoms, I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

One thing you can do to put yourself into a natural alignment is the following:

Lie on the floor on your back, making sure your spine is in line with your upper and lower limbs. Bend your knees with your feet flat on the floor. Keep your arms at your sides with palms facing up toward the ceiling. Also, keep the chin very slightly tucked. (You once as much of the back of your head on the floor.) Once in position, breathe deeply from the belly. Lie like this for several minutes and just relax. If it is really uncomfortable for you, you may put a small flat pillow under your head...but it is best without it.

This position allows your discs to unload and for your spine to get out from the pressure of gravity pushing down on the discs. It helps to naturally realign the spine.

Changes in posture can affect all the muscles and soft tissue in the back. Changing heel heights can cause back ache, just as can changing foot pronation, etc.

Hope this little exercise helps you. I do it every night before going to bed, and again in the morning before the day gets going. When I have back pain, I do it more often.

Last edited by teteri66; 06-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Duke567 (06-19-2011)
    Closed Thread