It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI Results...what does it mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
    madisonshye
    (female)

madisonshye HB User
    MRI Results...what does it mean?

I had an MRI due to severe back pain and having trouble understanding the results. What does this all mean??

Facet degenerative changes and ligamentum flavum thickening at L1-L2 and
    L2-L3 levels
    At T11-T12 and T12-L1 level, there is broad based osteophyte complexes causing deformity of thecal sac at these levels
    Circumferential disc bulge with superimposed left paracentral disc protrusions at L4-L5, and L5-S1 levels Correlate clinically for left L5 and S1 radiculopathy.Disc protrusion is in close proximity of nerve root with also mild bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing for both levels.
    Circumferential disc bulge with superimposed small right paracentral disc protrusion causing deformity of thecal sac at L3-L4 level.

What does this all mean and is this serious? Is this fixable and what some things that are options for correction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
    madisonshye
    (female)

madisonshye HB User
    Re: MRI Results...what does it mean?

[QUOTE=madisonshye;4788093]I had an MRI due to severe back pain and having trouble understanding the results. What does this all mean??

Facet degenerative changes and ligamentum flavum thickening at L1-L2 and
    L2-L3 levels
    At T11-T12 and T12-L1 level, there is broad based osteophyte complexes causing deformity of thecal sac at these levels
    Circumferential disc bulge with superimposed left paracentral disc protrusions at L4-L5, and L5-S1 levels Correlate clinically for left L5 and S1 radiculopathy.Disc protrusion is in close proximity of nerve root with also mild bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing for both levels.
    Circumferential disc bulge with superimposed small right paracentral disc protrusion causing deformity of thecal sac at L3-L4 level.

What does this all mean and is this serious? Is this fixable and what some things that are options for correction?[/QUOTE]

Could someone who is more knowledgeable about reading MRIs and has been through treatment options help me out please??

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

[QUOTE=madisonshye;4789034]Could someone who is more knowledgeable about reading MRIs and has been through treatment options help me out please??[/QUOTE]
    Briefly the levels L4-L5 and L5-S1 would seem to be causing a lot of your pain. Radiculopathy is the pain that radiates down your legs from nerve root irritation or compression. If you are suffering from pain that travels down your left leg past the knee and more than likely as far as your big toe these are the levels most likely generating it. There are degenerative changes at other levels but to my limited knowledge none look like major pain generators. The neuroforaminal are the pathways that the nerve roots travel through. MRI's are only tools to be used and are not definitive.

Hope this helps a bit. Perhaps others could describe it better.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

As you know, we are not doctors, so comments are just general impressions!

Most of the words mentioned on the radiology report are indicative of some degenerative changes going on in your spine.

The facets are the moveable joints at every spinal segment that allows us to bend forward, backward and to the side. As a synovial joint, they become arthritis just like other moving joints in the body.

When there is a disc that bulges, it can come in contact with its spinal nerve root, which can result in feeling a radiating pain...in this case the L5 and S1 dermatomes run down the back of the leg and into the foot. If you want to see the pattern, you can find dermatome maps online.

At the L3-L4 level, there is another disc bulge that is pressing into the thecal sac, which is the tough membrane that encases the nerves of the central canal. This, too can result in sensations of nerve pain.

As pooby mentioned, any imaging, including MRI, is just one piece of the diagnostic puzzle. Your physician will correlate what he finds on physical exam, oral history, etc. with the results of the imaging to try to get a "complete" picture of what is causing your pain.

Please let us know how you are doing as you move forward.

Closed Thread