It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Microdiscectomy 5 days post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
    meidyn
    (female)

meidyn HB User
    Microdiscectomy 5 days post op

Hello all. I have suffered with lower back pain off and on for the last 8 years. About 6 months ago I took up running, which in hindsight, I believe greatly exacerbated my problems. At first I was doing great, no pain, weight loss and feeling good. Then my leg began hurting, I thought I was stretching well so I slowed it down and stretched more. It wosened so I started to walk and realized that it only worsened the pain and I began to have numbness running down my leg. It got to the point that I had shooting pains and numbness almost all the time. I went to primary care who gave me prednisone and sent me for MRI. I did nothing for a month and it seemed to get better but still walked with a limp and occasional shooting pain. I was diagnosed with large herniated disc on l5-s1 with degenerative disc. Now, 6 days post op I'm much better than I thought I'd be. I have some pain in back due to incision and stiffness. I do have mild ache running down left leg but am on only tylenol as other meds were making me sick. I was up an about the 2nd day and am planning on shopping today. I'm hoping I will progress well but recovery seems to be way easier than I have been reading about. Good luck to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Microdiscectomy 5 days post op

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you are feeling well after your surgery. Just a word of warning, which you've probably heard before. Many people get into trouble several weeks after having discectomy due to feeling so well. After being laid up for months prior to surgery with pain that prevented them from doing the things they love, they are so thrilled to feel better that they end up doing too much too soon. This results in everything from a moderate flare to a reherniation of the disc. Just keep those thoughts in the back of your mind as you go about your recovery. Be sensible. Think of your back first before taking on any task, and remember that it takes a good six months for the disc to heal to the point that it is "toughened" up!!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
    ian86
    (male)

ian86 HB User
    Re: Microdiscectomy 5 days post op

thats great news but as above, please take care of it and dont push it to much.

i had the same op 2 weeks ago L5/S1 decompression and im still in a extream amout of pain in my left leg. i know its early days but its already got me worrying
    ian

Closed Thread