It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Braces and Shoes (Sandals) for Drop Foot and Nerve Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
    bracer
    Veteran
    (male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User
    Braces and Shoes (Sandals) for Drop Foot and Nerve Pain

Linda, since the last thread was getting pretty long and taking a little bit of a different turn, I thought it was prudent to start another one.

Anyway, I'm lucky that my left foot is the one that drops, so driving an automatic is not an issue. I'm pretty sure I could drive a stick without a brace, but I haven't tried that out yet, so I could be wrong. If it was my right foot that was dropping, I don't think I could do it. I'd be scared that I'd have trouble making quick actions when needed. The act of driving itself is most uncomfortable. Touching the gas pedal is like stepping on the asphalt of a summer street, but I just push through it. I'm hioping that Lyrica will make a difference. The dose of 200mg helped last night, so I took another 200mg this morning. The effect wasn't as dramatic, but it was some help. The doctor said I coulfdtry up to 500mg a day, so I may go for 200 at 6a.m.. 100mg at noon, and 200mg at 6 p.m. If it doesn't impair my mental faculties, that might work during the school year until my nerves heal.

Believe it or not, I'd never wirn flip-flops prior to this summer. The part between the big and second toes always aggravated me. However, now that this problem is here, I'm willing to get used to it and have found several flip-flops I prefer. I get the "walking out" part -- that happens to me when I'm walking up stairs, so I have to be really careful. Otherwise, I'm OK. In fact, I've walked 1.5 miles several times wearing my favorite flip-flops. I've also ordered a real minimilist sandal. It sounds kinda granola, but it looks very light and there is very little of the sandal touching my foot. I've also got a sheepskin sandal on the way. It has good reviews and looks quite comfotable. My wife says that I've got more shoes than she does now, but it doesn't matter to me.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to wear any type of brace when I'm walking for an hour or so, but things may change when school starts. Teachers report back two weeks from tomorrow and the kids will be there one week later. I'm hoping to be able to make it, but it would be stupid not to plan ahead. It's going to seem strange walking around the classroom and school wearing sandals and/or flip-flops (no way am I going barefoot on any floor in any elementary school. If anyone has a suggestion about the next best thing -- something I could wear that makes as little contact with my foot as possible, please let me know). Things will be fine once I explain things, though. There just seems to be a lot of things that I could accidentally kick around there. BTW, thanks for the brace possibility. I'll check it out. Please know that if you need any advice to help you out, I'm here for you guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
    linjack
    (female)

linjack HB Userlinjack HB User
    Re: Braces and Shoes (Sandals) for Drop Foot and Nerve Pain

Jeff,

We just got home from shoe shopping for Phil and his problem is the same as yours regarding the pain from the shoe touching his foot. He has to wear a brace to drive.

Good luck with your shoes.

Linda

Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
    maninblack
    (male)

maninblack HB User
    Re: Braces and Shoes (Sandals) for Drop Foot and Nerve Pain

Hi, I just read your message on messageboard, I have to wear a brace on left leg, I thought at the beginning it would get better everyday but that was 5 yrs ago. I had to change to auto car I just could not press down on the clutch pedal on a regular stick car, everytime that I would go for a walk I would trip over my foot so it was getting impossible to go anywhere at that time, I got used to the brace and it's part of me now. The way that I look at it thank God I can still get around, there is allways someone worse off than myself. "Maninblack"

Closed Thread