It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post fusion ALIF L5_S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
    dankduke
    (male)

dankduke HB User
    Post fusion ALIF L5_S1

Question.

I'm wondering how much walking I should be doing. I'm 29 male. 6'4 210lbs
    Am an avid lifter and play sports

So imrecovering quicker than most. I was able to leave hospital the next day after my alif / discetomy. Which they never had a person do at the hospital from what I hear.

I'm wondering as I am two week on tomorrow 9/29 since my surgery. But how much were u guys walking post spinal fusion? How far and or how Many minutes ??

Also is heat or Ice or both better for me? I'm trying to make sure my body makes this fusion. I willing to work hard.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
    bracer
    Veteran
    (male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User
    Re: Post fusion ALIF L5_S1

Three weeks or so after my L4-S1 fusion, I was walking 30 minutes 4 times a day. By four to five weeks, it was 1.5 miles 4 times a day. Not for speed, but for the exercise and because my doctor said to do what my body allowed. I have a foot drop, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from walking.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Walking further will not help you get better more quickly, and, in fact, in the early stages of healing, can even prove to be disruptive if you end up inflaming one of the nerves you are trying to heal. It is better to take a number of smaller walks than one long one. How fast and how far you walk are not important unless they are irritating the nerves...then you need to slow down and back off!

The point of walking early in recovery and for at least the first six weeks is to stretch out the spinal nerves. This helps to keep the scar tissue from attaching to the nerve roots as it fills in. By doing it several times each day, it gives the nerves a good stretch.

Please remember that it is important to avoid all activities that involve bending or twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling, reaching up or overhead, anything that is jarring, and avoid lifting anything heavier than about 10 pounds...for now. The bone may show signs of grow early on, but you will not be fully fused for the first twelve months. It takes new bone time to set up and become hard and strong. Prior to this time, you run the risk of hurting the fusion if you become too active. You want to always keep the big picture in mind...and make wise decisions so you don't have to repeat this procedure over again!

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep it up!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
    cheryl1213
    Veteran
    (female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

At my one month (same ALIF L5/S1...8/8), the doc said he's expect about a mile a day, broken up. He did say it was okay that I did more NOW....BUT I'd been told NOT to go much beyond 2m when I was at the 2w stage.....I am NOT a good rester so it was HARD. Honestly, my dad is in the medical practice and went so far as to email my boyfriend (live together) and "tell on" me with a note that I needed to dial it back to 2m or so (I was doing 5).

Heck, it is STILL hard...I can walk more but miss my toned arms since I can't do weights (likely PT at 3m...will ask for some help then to adapt and rebuild).

My focus is that I only get one shot to heal. I'll get many shots at toned arms....

Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
    bracer
    Veteran
    (male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User

[QUOTE=cheryl1213;4851803]My focus is that I only get one shot to heal. I'll get many shots at toned arms....[/QUOTE]

That right there is some wise thinking. It's hard to not want to jump back into old routines as quickly as possible, but the thought of going through all of this only to mess things up because I wasn't willing to wait makes me slightly nauseous. Cheryl is absolutely right. Better a little too slow than a little too fast.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User

Hi all,
    I am 4 weeks post-op from a 2-level ALIF so it looks like we may be able to share recovery stories. As for walking, I was told I could walk as much as I could tolerate, but not to over-do it. I was also told that I could use ice or heat...whichever made me feel better. It's my understanding that neither one will really help or hurt anything, but just may make the recovery more comfortable.

Best of luck with your recovery. Have you started PT yet? I start next week and can't wait!

Closed Thread