It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Old Compression Fracture

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
jrybak HB User
Old Compression Fracture

I am 70 years old. Several years ago I was having frequent muscle spasms in my lower back. I went to an orthopedist who took x-rays. He found an "old" compression fracture of L1. I was totally unaware that I had it. He told me that he couldn't do anything for me but suggested that I get PT for the spasms.

I had several different groups of PT sessions over the next few years but time seemed to be the best healer for the spasms.

I no longer have muscle spasms but now I have developed severe localized pain and stiffness in the lower back in the area of L1 and extending to my hips when I get up from a sitting or lying position. My first few steps are really bad but in time I can walk awkwardly stiffness and moderate pain. I cannot bend at the waist very much without bad pain. Standing on a hard surface causes my back to hurt very quickly as does walking slowly on a hard surface. Both also cause me to become lightheaded fairly quickly. In these circumstances, I have to sit down or risk passing out. Sitting on a hard surface for any length of time does the same. My pain and stiffness has gotten considerably worse in the past several months.

I went to a chiropractor recently and after about a dozen sessions he told me not to bother coming back as he couldn't do anything to help me. He recommended more PT. After about a dozen sessions of that, the PT guy also told me not to come back as he couldn't do anything for me.

I am wondering if I now have arthritis in L1 due to the old compression fracture. NSAIDs give me no relief at all, even when I greatly exceed the recommended doses. I don't want to take opiads if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning what my problem might be and what I might be able to do about it? My GP looks kind of puzzled and has no real suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.


Sponsors Lightbulb
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!