It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 2 Bulging Disc... ugggghhhh then why does it hurt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
    Manta1
    (male)

Manta1 HB UserManta1 HB User
    Re: 2 Bulging Disc... ugggghhhh then why does it hurt

exactly.Drs either don't understand or don't care.Ive not been able to work in 3 years due to this injury.I will say that prolotherapy has helped me some with the pain.It is an extremely painful procedure to go through,but after 4 series of stabbings,my pain is down a little but not gone.I've heard about the "killing of the nerves" treatment but have not found one single person who said it helped them that has had it done.Do research that before you leap.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1 For This Useful Post:
    jay84 (04-08-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
    peps90436
    Inactive
    (female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

[QUOTE=Manta1;4957763]exactly.Drs either don't understand or don't care.Ive not been able to work in 3 years due to this injury.I will say that prolotherapy has helped me some with the pain.It is an extremely painful procedure to go through,but after 4 series of stabbings,my pain is down a little but not gone.I've heard about the "killing of the nerves" treatment but have not found one single person who said it helped them that has had it done.Do research that before you leap.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about RF Ablation when you say 'killing the nerves'? I have had that done for my facet arthritis, but will not go there on my SI joint issues. For my facet arthritis, it worked very well. I am now 5 months out from having had that done, and still no spinal pain unless my SI joint is really flared up bad. That pain is actually just at the point where the lumbar and sacral sections meet.

The decision to do that was made after having two diagnostic injections on the facet joints and a lengthy discussion with the doctor before proceeding with the RF Ablation. Because of the over 80% relief from both diagnostic injections, I was a good candidate for ablation.

I do know a couple of people that have not had as much success with the procedure, so as with anything medical, it's a personal decision, and that decision should only be made between you and your doctor, and only after proper diagnostics.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
    Manta1
    (male)

Oh good,you got good relief from the ablation.I'll stand corrected.I spoke recently with a lady who had tried it and said it did nothing for her but the way she described the procedure went down they didn't do it right anyway.I had a workers comp neuro in Atlanta say we should try that before any fusion,but workers comp denied it..So off to court we go.Ive been paying for the prolo and the phys therapy with it on my dime out of state.I AM gonna beat this and get my life back. With or without the help from Workers Comp crooks. I am a 20 year veteran automotive technician. I believe in repairing things that are broken.My SI is broken,there has to be a way to fix it.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
    peps90436
    Inactive
    (female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

[QUOTE=Manta1;4957773]Oh good,you got good relief from the ablation.I'll stand corrected.I spoke recently with a lady who had tried it and said it did nothing for her but the way she described the procedure went down they didn't do it right anyway.I had a workers comp neuro in Atlanta say we should try that before any fusion,but workers comp denied it..So off to court we go.Ive been paying for the prolo and the phys therapy with it on my dime out of state.I AM gonna beat this and get my life back. With or without the help from Workers Comp crooks. I am a 20 year veteran automotive technician. I believe in repairing things that are broken.My SI is broken,there has to be a way to fix it. [/QUOTE]

The thing with ablation is that it is not a permanent fix. The pain will come back in most cases. It's about a $7,000 procedure, or at least mine was. Obviously more because it was three levels. I would guess that it was denied because it is only a temporary fix. And again, the ablation I had was on facet joints, NOT the SI joint. I have not talked to any one that has had ablation on the SI joint that it has worked for.

The Following User Says Thank You to peps90436 For This Useful Post:
    Manta1 (04-08-2012)
    Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
    Serial
    (female)

Serial HB User

It's not just the doctors, just spent time listening to the after Easter conversation. People on the other side of a back problem can be just as bad or they just assume their problem was the same.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
    jay84
    (female)

jay84 HB Userjay84 HB Userjay84 HB User

[QUOTE=Serial;4957900]It's not just the doctors, just spent time listening to the after Easter conversation. People on the other side of a back problem can be just as bad or they just assume their problem was the same.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused on this?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
    peps90436
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=jaymison84;4957925]I'm a little confused on this?[/QUOTE]

Could be some of what the rest of us have dealt with at times . . . people that think they know what back pain is when they don't. That's just a guess. I could be completely wrong.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
    jay84
    (female)

I think you have a point though. People don't understand that sometimes you are in soo much pain that it interferes with your thinking, then its like bam goes away. Or the muscle spasms from just sitting and your legs jump or you jump up because of how bad it cramps.

A few people in my life I think they think I am not as bad as I say I am. Most of the time I suck it up and do what has to get done then suffer. I try not to walk funny so people know I'm in pain. I put on a smile and act like I'm just like everyone else, meanwhile inside the pain is eating away at me and making so miserable.

Just because the Dr's say there is nothing they can do doesn't make the pain automatically go away like it doesn't exists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay84 For This Useful Post:
    Manta1 (04-09-2012),Nabs1004 (08-18-2012)
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
    Manta1
    (male)

[QUOTE=jaymison84;4958016]I think you have a point though. People don't understand that sometimes you are in soo much pain that it interferes with your thinking, then its like bam goes away. Or the muscle spasms from just sitting and your legs jump or you jump up because of how bad it cramps.

A few people in my life I think they think I am not as bad as I say I am. Most of the time I suck it up and do what has to get done then suffer. I try not to walk funny so people know I'm in pain. I put on a smile and act like I'm just like everyone else, meanwhile inside the pain is eating away at me and making so miserable.

Just because the Dr's say there is nothing they can do doesn't make the pain automatically go away like it doesn't exists.[/QUOTE]
    This is so spot on..
    Exactly how it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1 For This Useful Post:
    jay84 (04-09-2012)
    Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #25
    teil3156
    (female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User

Hi, I understand what you are saying about other people thinking you are making it out to be more that it is. One thing I say to them is that it is MY pain not theirs, so there is no possible way they could ever know how bad you feel.

I had the rhizotomy last summer. I got about 7 months of some relief. I have just recently starting having the pain I had beforehand. I was given another epidural steroid injection about 2 weeks ago. My doc wanted to know if I might get better relief after the rhizotomy. Not so much. My doc now wants to try a discogram.

It seems like it's a never ending circle.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #26
    jay84
    (female)

I'm starting to see this an never ending circle. I lost insurance for a few months(husband changed jobs) so I had to start over again. I don't know where to turn right now. Everyone has been very supportive even if it is to let me vent and get it out to someone who understands where I'm coming from.

I'm only 27, I'm too young for this. If there was something that I could do I would do it. I have people telling me to do this and do that and not do this and don't do that. I'm holding off and just going to wait til April 17th when I see the pain doctor to see what he says about how to proceed. What's another two weeks of pain right, it's not going anywhere. lol.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #27
    teil3156
    (female)

Your earlier post about Pens tickets leads me to believe you are from the Pittsburgh area. If so, do you mind me asking where your pain doc is located?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #28
    jay84
    (female)

I was going to Todd Pepper at West Penn Hospital, but my new insurance doesn't except him as a provider. I'm going to Advance Pain Medicine in Wexford on the 17th. Never been there before, this place was suggested by my PCP and they accept my insurance.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #29
    teil3156
    (female)

That is where I go. I like the office. I haven't seen anyone I didn't like. They really try to help too. In fact I have an appt on April 18.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #30
    jay84
    (female)

You go where? Todd Pepper or Advance Pain Medicine?

Closed Thread