It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3rd discectomy or should I just go for a Fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
    Ocean72
    (female)

Ocean72 HB User
    Question 3rd discectomy or should I just go for a Fusion?

Hi Everyone:

I've suffered from back pain for 10 years now. It is so bad, that I can't get out of bed w.o pain meds. This all started from a car accident in 2002.

I've 2 prior discectomy at L5-S1 in 04 and 06 and herniated again in 2007. I have seen 3 Great Doctors and all said if pain persist, a Fusion at L5-s1 would help me based in a 2008 MRI. The More conservative Doc. Looked at the 08 MRI and said Definately a Fusion but the New MRI shows 2 new herniations/disc protusion at L3, L4 and L5-S1. After reviewing the New MRI he changed his mind and suggested ANOTHER discectomy from L3-S1. He thought maybe a discectomy will help my pain and if it didn't, then have a fusion. 3 times a charm? Or is the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results? I had pain with the L5-S1 prior to the L3 L4 herniations. And why did L3 herniate? Was it due to a weak lower spine? No Support? It wasn't herniated prior to the 2nd discectomy.

Since I told him I was confused, he ordered a PAINFUL Discogram--I HATE THOSE THINGS! The L3 and L4 are "encroaching" on the nerve/spinal canal. My Hips are on FIRE (the meds aren't helping this burning feeling). I just read the l3-l4 nerve do go to the hips.

Question for those of you who have gone through more than 2 discectomy and suffered another herniation. Did you go for a 3rd time and did it help? I fear another discectomy is a temp. Patch and I can not waste anymore time! I am 41 and haven't had a life since 2008. The pain forced me to leave my job of 12 years with 6 weeks paid vacation. I will never find another job like it. Anyway, I went back to school to earn my BA in Accouting but sitting in class hurts my back and butt . I'ts come to a point where we avoid any nice restaurants that requires waiting an hour to be seated. We look for quick ins and outs. During my sleep, the burning sensation on the t-bone and hips wake me up everynight around 4-5 AM like an alarm clock! I'd greatly appreciate your personal input.
    P.S: How do I delete an old post about a Fusion? Sorry! I'm new to the board and don't quite know much about it. Thanks! Health Spine is a Dream Away!

Last edited by Ocean72; 05-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain failed discectomy, lumbar discectomy, lumbar disk herniation, lumbar fusion