It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Help!! Explain my MRI please!... So much pain.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
    Dgbella
    (female)

Dgbella HB User
    Help!! Explain my MRI please!... So much pain.

MRI report;
    There is some loss of signal within the discs space at L1-2 and l2-3 the distal cord an conus terminate at t-12 and L1L1-2 very mild disc bulge slightly eccentric to the right. There is minimal impression upon the thecal sac. There is some mild enchroahment upon th left neural foramen. The right foramen is patent
    L-2-3 very mild peripheral disc bulge slightly eccentric to the right. This is causing mild thecal sac effacment
    L3-4 unremarkable
    L4-5 diffuse disc bulge with some facet arthropathy. There is minimal impression upon the thecal sac and some mild encroachment upon the neural foramen bilaterally
    THORACIC:
    There is a tiny disc bulge at T5-6 combining with the curve of the spine to cause some thecal sac effacment. No cord deformity. There is a tiny disc protrusion at T 7-8 just to the right midline. This is causing some mild flattening of the cord.
    IMPRESION: disc protrusion at t 7-8 causing mild flattening of the cord.
    I'm only 26... I've been having severe pain and back pain in my lumbar and theracic. I'm seeing a pain management doctor just as of last week. I just got my MRI yesterday. He only allowed me 1 pain pill every 12 hours. Im guessing until he sees my MRI results. I'm suffering badly. Do u think this MRI is enough for a doctor to realize I am in pain, can someone explain it to me? Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Help!! Explain my MRI please!... So much pain.

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are in pain. Were you in an accident or did the pain come on suddenly?

Did you copy the entire Impression section?

I cannot guess whether there is "enough" wrong that is reported in the MRI imaging, but I will say that nothing jumps out and waves a red flag! The abnormalities that are mentioned in the report are described as "mild" or "minimal." (this would be on a scale of minimal, mild, moderate and severe.) The disc bulge is described as tiny.

The radiologist doesn't consider the lumbar issues significant enough to mention in the summary part of the report. The thoracic issue is described as tiny and the only reason it is mentioned is because it is pushing slightly against the thecal sac...which is the covering over the spinal cord. Depending on the amount it is impacting the thecal sac, this can be a potential problem and would certainly merit watching. At this point, being a tiny bulge, it is not causing sufficient compression to be a problem...but, it is not "normal."

I would imagine the PM will order a course of physical therapy to build up the core, back and leg muscles. There may be some oral medications and perhaps a series of epdiural injections to help the discs repair themselves. Of course I am not a doctor...just a fellow spiney, but this would be a common conservative method of treatment for your issues.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
    luvinmusiq
    (female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User
    Re: Help!! Explain my MRI please!... So much pain.

[QUOTE=Dgbella;5021418]MRI report;
    There is some loss of signal within the discs space at L1-2 and l2-3 the distal cord an conus terminate at t-12 and L1L1-2 very mild disc bulge slightly eccentric to the right. There is minimal impression upon the thecal sac. There is some mild enchroahment upon th left neural foramen. The right foramen is patent
    L-2-3 very mild peripheral disc bulge slightly eccentric to the right. This is causing mild thecal sac effacment
    L3-4 unremarkable
    L4-5 diffuse disc bulge with some facet arthropathy. There is minimal impression upon the thecal sac and some mild encroachment upon the neural foramen bilaterally
    THORACIC:
    There is a tiny disc bulge at T5-6 combining with the curve of the spine to cause some thecal sac effacment. No cord deformity. There is a tiny disc protrusion at T 7-8 just to the right midline. This is causing some mild flattening of the cord.
    IMPRESION: disc protrusion at t 7-8 causing mild flattening of the cord.
    I'm only 26... I've been having severe pain and back pain in my lumbar and theracic. I'm seeing a pain management doctor just as of last week. I just got my MRI yesterday. He only allowed me 1 pain pill every 12 hours. Im guessing until he sees my MRI results. I'm suffering badly. Do u think this MRI is enough for a doctor to realize I am in pain, can someone explain it to me? Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. Nobody on the boards here are doctors. The doctor is the only person that will decide with the mri results what is the best treatment plan for you. You said you just started with them last week so what I am guessing is that he wants to get all the test results back before prescribing a certain amount of meds. I don't see why he wouldn't treat your problems. He will probably want to do other treatment beside pills. Maybe some injections or PT. Honestly you are just going to have to talk with him and explain what you are going through. Explain to him how this is effecting your quality of life. Be very truthful with the pain management doctor and I am sure they will try and take care of you. It really just depend on what type of doctor he is. There are quite a few doctors that like treating back problems with PT and injections. They try not to use narcotics. It's not even a guarantee that you will need the narcotics maybe it's a different med they can give you to relieve your pain. It's all on what the doctor thinks will help you, and what will relieve your pain. I hope you get some pain relief soon. Please let us know what happens when you do talk with your doctor. Have faith that everything will work itself out. Best wishes! Muah!
    Pancreatic Stent
    Osteoarthritis
    Stroke
    Leukopenia
    Migraines
    Power Port implant 2010
    Total Right Hip Replacement

Closed Thread