It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

Freaking out.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #46
FLDawn
(female)

FLDawn HB UserFLDawn HB UserFLDawn HB User
Re: Freaking out.

Katn, are you doing better now after having the surgery? I hope so. The ciroprator told me the last Monday he thought that surgery is about my only treatment for pain now. Then told my yesturday that he now believes I will have problems with this for the rest of my life. I could bearly even walk into the office. Had to call off of work today. Could not even walk this morning without being in so much pain. Felt like my hip and legs were on fire. I really hope this second shot on Wed really works! I hope everyone has a better weekend and has less pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to FLDawn:
pubbies (08-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #47
pubbies
(male)

pubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB User

Dawn I will of course keep you updated. I'm sorry you're getting worse, completely feel for you. I've been sleeping on and off all day, just got up and iced my back for about 30 mins hoping it would numb it away - not that lucky. The icing really did nothing but "coat" over the pain. I don't know why it's creating so much pressure, almost complete opposite of what happened last time so now I'm left confused, as always.

Sammy how did you get bruises from the shot... I'm baffled by that. When I asked my doctor why there was pain this time - his response was pretty irrational. Said last time since I was smoking pot it could be the cause and this time I didn't. Somehow, he knew I didn't smoke this time around and followed his orders. So does it affect the procedure or was I a victim of being interrogated while under anesthesia again lol.

I'm tired of temporarily relief, I need it away. I've been an emotional roller coaster and been getting angry with the wrong people. When the pain is really bad I don't even want to talk to anyone, giving them unintentional attitudes. When it's not that bad I'm still zoning out and frustrated. On my good days (it's been a while since I've had one now, I felt they were more common pre-epidural) I don't even want to do anything because I worry that I'm going to aggravate something, sigh. Can't win here.

I just would love to know where I stand. I'm writing up so many questions to ask my doctor on Tuesday. Everyone I've spoken to with disc problems who experienced pain from them said ever since they have not been pain free. Is this true? Will the pain never go away? Will I ever be back to Normal like I was before this accident? Hope everyone has a pain-less weekend!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #48
kathnite1
(female)

kathnite1 HB Userkathnite1 HB Userkathnite1 HB User
Talking Re: Freaking out.

[QUOTE=FLDawn;5033614]Katn, are you doing better now after having the surgery? I hope so. The ciroprator told me the last Monday he thought that surgery is about my only treatment for pain now. Then told my yesturday that he now believes I will have problems with this for the rest of my life. I could bearly even walk into the office. Had to call off of work today. Could not even walk this morning without being in so much pain. Felt like my hip and legs were on fire. I really hope this second shot on Wed really works! I hope everyone has a better weekend and has less pain.[/QUOTE]

Dawn, yes, it took time but I am doing much better. Of course if I overdo it, my body tells me and I have to just stop and regroup. I am a secretary which involves a lot of sitting so by the end of the day, I am really tired, but I do my PT exercises at work at lunch and I recline and put my feet up and stretch out so I am good there. Before this last fusion, I couldn't take a step without severe pain from my back/hip down to my foot!! Only position that didn't hurt was laying down. Anything else sometimes I just had to cry to get through it! I still have the nerve pain so I take neurontin; don't think that will ever go away. I have PM apptment end of month, so we will see how that goes. Also have percocet for when I really overdo it. After a LONG 4 years of pain and stress, I am truly blessed to be working again and to have as little pain as I do. I still deal with the muscle weakness terribly. My balance is really off because of the muscles weakness, but the therapy I am hoping will improve that so that I can get rid of the walker and maybe even my cane. Have a good day all!! I am spending my day with son and my mother and my 3 grandchildren! Remember, every day that comes and goes gets you closer to that light at the end of the tunnel!!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #49
sammieismylab
(female)

sammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB User

@ Pubbies: I would love to know how that happened also. I felt for three weeks that a car had run me over. Ten days after the shot I felt so bad I went to my Ciropator, she has know me for years. She had never seen this before. I was not out of alinement, but so much pain and large bruises on the inside of the calif's of my legs. It finale cleared up, but it left me with a never problem at I think C7. I was having shots in my T area. By my bara strap area. That is what so weird. The shot had done a horse shoe around my back. The doctor said he put the shot in around my bara strap area, but the shot Numbed my back like a horse shoe up my back towards my shoulder blades and never got the spot at my bara stap. Then that one dis felt like when my older brother would hit me in the arm when I was a kid. He would hit me with his knocle slite out, so when ever I sat it felt like a knocle was pushing on that disc. India not have that problem before that shot. I woke up to that.

Now that I had my surgery all of the upper back and middle back problem is gone so far. They did not correct my slip at L4-5 they just stapledlized it. They put in a plastic spacer and screwed it down on only one side of the vertebra. It was my left side. Now last night it felt like my right side of that vertebra was stuck. It was painful for awhile. So I got most heat from bean bags that I nuck for 2 min, got my legs up on some leg wedges I have and it brought me back to normal after awhile. 4 days off pain pills. 1 night off of a sleeping pill tezmespan. I was on pain pills for 12 1/2 years and sleeping pill for one year. Great big steps for me. The fog is going away. Taking it slower, even throw I want to go faster.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #50
sammieismylab
(female)

sammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB Usersammieismylab HB User
Smile Re: Freaking out.

@ Pubbies: I would love to know how that happened also. I felt for three weeks that a car had run me over. Ten days after the shot I felt so bad I went to my Ciropator, she has know me for years. She had never seen this before. I was not out of alinement, but so much pain and large bruises on the inside of the calif's of my legs. It finale cleared up, but it left me with a never problem at I think C7. I was having shots in my T area. By my bara strap area. That is what so weird. The shot had done a horse shoe around my upper back. The doctor said he put the shot in around my bara strap area, but the shot Numbed my back like a horse shoe up my back towards my shoulder blades and never got the spot at my bara stap. Then that one dis felt like when my older brother would hit me in the arm when I was a kid. He would hit me with his knocle slite out, so when ever I sat it felt like a knocle was pushing on that disc. I did not have that problem before that shot. I woke up to that.

Now that I had my surgery all of the upper back and middle back problem is gone so far. They did not correct my slip at L4-5 they just stapledlized it. They put in a plastic spacer and screwed it down on only one side of the vertebra. It was my left side. Now last night it felt like my right side of that vertebra was stuck. It was painful for awhile. So I got most heat from bean bags that I nuck for 2 min, got my legs up on some leg wedges I have and it brought me back to normal after awhile. 4 days off pain pills. 1 night off of a sleeping pill tezmespan. I was on pain pills for 12 1/2 years and sleeping pill for one year. Great big steps for me. The fog is going away. Taking it slower, even throw I want to go faster.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #51
FLDawn
(female)

FLDawn HB UserFLDawn HB UserFLDawn HB User

Tomorrow I get my second epidural steriod shot in t-8, t-9. Praying this one works. Going to be watching my sugar much more closely this time. I will be ready!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: FLDawn
kathnite1 (08-08-2012),pubbies (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #52
pubbies
(male)

pubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB User

Good luck tomorrow! Hope it works for you! I'm still confused about my last shot, hoping something changes in the next few days. Let us know how it goes

Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #53
lemonflavor
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

I think this is a great thread in a way (you know what I mean I hope). I want to follow it. When I write here, I haven't been getting much response. Maybe my case is abnormal being on a pain pump and having a hard time finding meds that work well.

I have degenerative disc disease and can't even come close to working, but also have "mental" problems and chronic fatigue too, as I know many of you have. I also wonder about why they have those chairs in waiting rooms of pain clinics! And in the offices where you wait for the doctor, they have the same chair for the patient, and another one with much thicker padding for the spouse or person with them! It's almost funny. For a while, I just lied down on the table until the doctor came in. They didn't mind. Give it a try if you'd like.

I've had many types of shots, but in the lumbar area. Before one of my surgeries, one of them hurt so much, it was more pain that I ever encountered. I had a herniated disc, and I think the pressure of the fluid pressed on the disc, pressing on the nerve. I was told by a surgeon's PA not to do more than two shots if they don't work. They will always want you to do the full amount of three, which I would only do if the first two work. Then the relief should last longer and they can place the needle in different spots.

Yesterday I had a different person than normal reduce the meds in my pump because they're causing extreme anxiety. She was so rude I was floored. She said it's not the meds in my pump and I should probably stop using it. And she got all of this just from looking at my chart. I would have been crushed if I didn't know that I didn't have to see her again. (I'm male BTW) But I couldn't say anything because who knows, she might be the one taking care of me later on if my guy leaves! That's a scary thought.

I don't think a doctor should say you'll be in chronic pain for the rest of your life. Who know what will happen in a decade or two? Also, has anyone had relief from learning biofeedback and seeing a pain psychologist? I saw one for a while but just had to listen to stories as if he was building up to something but never got to the something. And the biofeedback lady basically spend three sessions telling me how to breathe even though I used to be a bass trombone player and could pick that up in about 3 minutes. She said my patterns could be used in a textbook. So why not get to the good stuff. I just couldn't keep paying the copays and being in pain from sitting there for an hour in addition to the car.

I feel so bad for you all and it's nice to know we're not alone. We need to brace ourselves for things getting worse but know that in time things may get better. I won't get into spiritual stuff other than for me, without knowing God I'd be totally lost. Thanks for reading and posting and I hope the original poster gets relief from the injections.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #54
lemonflavor
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

One other thing: It's very good to write things out for your first app't or any time there is a lot of things going on. Most docs seem to like this, but some think that you're writing things down so that you'll write a script to say what they want to hear, especially if meds are involved. So exercise caution. Bringing someone with you is good if possible. This can also be validation (especially a spouse) if you're weird like me and have all kinds of atypical symptoms from medications, injections, etc.

Last edited by lemonflavor; 08-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
lumbar disk herniation, thoracic herniation