It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Bursts of severe pain in foot as nerve regenerates?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
    reptilean
    (male)

reptilean HB User
    Bursts of severe pain in foot as nerve regenerates?

I've had two microdiscectomies and on each occasion, there was significant residual numbness on the outer edge and heal of the affected side. In both cases there was long term weakness of the calf/foot on the affected side. About 18-24 months after the first surgery, normal function returned to the calf and foot. I'm now coming towards three years after the second surgery and still have numbness and reduced strength.

Today I started getting short bursts of intense pain limited to just the parts of the foot that are numb. There is no accompanying back, leg or buttock pain. Could this be an indication that the nerve function is returning or should I be preparing for a new back problem?

Is there anything I can do to facilitate nerve regeneration?

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Kind regards,

Mark.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Bursts of severe pain in foot as nerve regenerates?

I don't really know the answer to your question, but wanted to acknowledge your post. I too have residual numbness in both of my feet (have had 3 lumbar surgeries, including two fusions). My last surgery was 2 years ago...and as I am sitting here, my three middle toes are cramping and involuntarily curling under. The three middle toes are part of the L5 dermatome.

I always attribute this cramping to some sort of little nerve fibers trying to reconnect....and associate it with regeneration. I don't know if this is factually correct or not...but it makes sense to me!

There is very little you can do to make nerves regenerate. My acupuncturist said that acupunture can help...but I don't really know if that is true either.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    reptilean (08-12-2012)
    Closed Thread