It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI Results after fall & coccyx fracture.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
    ilovestargate
    (female)

ilovestargate HB User
    Question MRI Results after fall & coccyx fracture.

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]I've had disc herniations at L4-L5, L5-S1 since I was 18, so for 12 years now. I fell and fractured my coccyx about two weeks ago and began having some new symptoms and knew I needed an MRI done. I'm a nurse in an ER and knew what was going on, symptom wise (cauda equina syndrome), but really had to get it confirmed and needed to see how bad it was diagnostically. I've been on Prednisone for 9 days now with no improvement - I'm having saddle anesthesia, can't feel my left leg, left foot, have left foot drop, progressively increasing muscle weakness in that leg - and now these symptoms are moving to my right leg as well. Anyway, I saw a neurosurgeon on Friday and my report said that I have annular ligament tears at L4-L5, L5-S1 and also the discs are now pressing on the thecal sacs there as well and he is "very concerned" because I have not gotten any better, but gotten worse, even after being on Prednisone that long. I have to get the MRI disc and take to the neurosurgeon Tuesday and I'm nervous as to what the treatment plan will be. I've tried PT, ESI's, and other conservative treatment plans before but this is different. I've never had symptoms this bad before. Any thoughts as to what he might say or want to do?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: MRI Results after fall & coccyx fracture..

Given all the symptoms you are having that indicate fairly severe nerve compression, I would guess that he will want to treat whatever it is that is causing the compression. He may want to try another epidural steroid injection, or perhaps he will suggest discectomy if it appears that the problems with the discs are causing the nerve compression. Without knowing what else may be showing on the MRI, it is difficult to guess.

If surgery is recommended to you, you may want to get at least another opinion before making a decision.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: MRI Results after fall & coccyx fracture.

So you weren't diagnosed with Cauda? I hope? Otherwise they wouldn't let you leave the hospital and you wouldn't have a choice but surgery.

I am not a DR and can't guess what may happen but based on your symptoms you really don't have a choice since you been on steroids + PT and still symptoms spread to another leg.
    I would go for second opinion and more - no doubt about that. Too many stories, my included where we learn in hard way how important that is.
    If surgery recommended, get all your scans and reports and go to see another Spinal ortho in a different area/hospital where they dont know the DR who suggested surgery.

Wishing you the best
    Moldova

Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
    ilovestargate
    (female)

ilovestargate HB User

[FONT="Georgia"]I saw a neurosurgeon and he read the actual films and I've got a disc shard that is sticking into a thecal sac. I have to have a microdiscectomy next week. My dad's an internal medicine physician so he got me in quick to see this neurosurgeon (this is the third that I've seen). He said that the flare ups over the years have more than likely been caused by this disc shard/fragment but that since I'm not improving (I'm actually getting worse) and have failed conservative treatment and have zero functionality right now, I basically decided that I needed to go ahead and get this done. I can't do anything right now - work, walk, let alone pick up and play my daughter. I'm not worried, to be honest, because I [B]need[/B] to be able to function again. I'm glad I finally got some answers and will hopefully get some relief [/FONT]

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Honestly? I am happy for you; as strange it may sound, but nothing is better than finally get right diagnoses and to have done whatever this is just to have some life quality. The fact that MRI showed your problem so clearly is a good thing; sometimes you in pain and MRI shows nothing, than it becomes even bigger problem for someone who suffers with no answers.

Even though your surgery is not one of the big surgeries like multilevel fusion, still be very careful after surgery, be patient and don't do what you not suppose to do. Have a lot of patience, don't rush back to house work, picking your baby, etc. I had so many different surgeries on soft tissues (one of them hysterectomy for example) and healed in no time. But spine/bone surgeries are totally different area and requires so much care, patience and knowledge" how to"...
    When your surgery will take place? So it will be done by Neurosurgeon, no Spinal Ortho?
    Good to know you in good hands, helps that you dad is MD himself. Hope after this surgery you will be doing so much better and what you are going now through will go away like a bad dream...

Gentle hugs
    Moldova

Closed Thread