It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Mild Epidural Fibrosis "ABUT" s1 nerve

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
    Strike554
    (male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User
    Re: Mild Epidural Fibrosis "ABUT" s1 nerve

[QUOTE=CT06405;5085220]Hi Striker, I just today got an epidural steroid injection. My problem is not a disc and I've never had back surgery; my injection was into a synovial cyst on a facet joint between the L4 and L5 levels (basically an arthritis symptom). I'll let you know if it works; it will probably take at least a week to know. I'm trying to shrink the cyst both for diagnostic purposes so that I know what is causing me pain, and also in an attempt to get rid of it totally.

I think in your case, wherever they cut during surgery could cause some scarring down of tissue as it heals and the fibrosis. This could contract or pull on the nerve roots in the area. It takes very little to irritate sciatic nerve roots, as we all know on these boards. The steroid should at least relax that, assuming they inject it into the right place, and may totally get rid of it. I have heard of many people having great results with steroid injections, assuming they inject it into the right area.[/QUOTE]

CT,
    ya its just wierd that the pain started after a year and a half after my initial surgery. Remember the pain started the next morning after a round of golf? maybe I aggrevated the scar tissue. My mri shows no herniations etc. Doctors are basically stumped and dont give me a clear answer.

Is the injection an all day thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

No, I went in for the injection at 2:30 and was discharged at 3:00. A breeze. I put an ice pack on it and went shopping on the way home.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
    Strike554
    (male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User

CT how did that injection work out for you?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

[QUOTE=Strike554;5102869]CT how did that injection work out for you?[/QUOTE]

Hi Strike,

The epidural injection I had into my synovial cyst did not work out at all - I would not advise this to anyone, as the pain mgmt doctor tried to rupture the cyst but couldn't, so the injection into it just made the cyst bigger and put more pressure on my sciatic nerve. The pain then skyrocketed.

I then had an epidural injection into the spinal canal around the cyst 10 days later to alleviate the sciatic pain, and this was very effective.

I then had my synovial cyst removed last week through minimally invasive surgery - whew! It cured my sciatic pain right away. A lifesaver.

So, in answer to your question, the second injection I had to relieve pain and inflammation of the sciatic nerve did work out well, and it's not hard to go through. I drove myself there and back and proceeded as normal for the rest of the day.

Closed Thread

Tags
    microdiscectomy, scar tissue, scar tissue removed with saline and catheter, sciatica pain