HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   C1 c2 cervical Fusion - recovering (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/924463-c1-c2-cervical-fusion-recovering.html)

Jazzmine1212 10-24-2012 09:22 AM

C1 c2 cervical Fusion - recovering

I just had my c1 c2 fusion about 5 days ago and I'm finally home from the hospital recovering. I knew it would be difficult, but I had no idea the amount of pain and stiffness I would have. I won't lie, it's been hard, but I seem to be getting a tiny bit better each day. Some days are better than others though.

I ended us using my hip bone instead of the BMP so I have a lot of pain in my back hip area too. They took lilac crest from the area next to my spine which I thought was odd since it's so far back. I just feel miserable most of the time and just think to myself what the hell did I do to myself, but then I remember my neck wasn't getting any better on it's own. The surgeon said my c1 and c2 was pretty much smashed together...he used rods and screws to reduce and fuse c1 and c2 from behind. He suggested I take Forteo to help speed up recovery and make sure I fuse since I have very low bone density. A woman is coming today to bring a bone growth stimulator that the doctor ordered. I hope I see some relief soon because this is very depressing.

teteri66 10-25-2012 06:25 AM

Re: C1 c2 cervical Fusion - recovering

I'm glad to hear they didn't have to do more extensive surgery... I haven't had a cervical surgery so cannot comment specific***y, but with lumbar fusions, the first week to ten days are tough. It then takes a long time to regain strength, and to fully recover. Patience is required as there is little one can do to hurry the process along...as much as we'd like.

The iliac crest is the typical site where bone is harvested and it can remain sore for some time...but at least you won't have to worry about *** the possible unwanted side effects of BMP.

Try to take your recovery day by day. Don't get hung up looking at where you thought you'd be. Try to make each day the best you can and remember that you only have one chance to do this right...so do everything you can to help yourself to heal well and thoroughly.

Jazzmine1212 11-10-2012 09:37 PM

It's been about three weeks since my surgery and I do feel a lot better. My head pain is almost gone, but my back is getting very sore and painful from trying to sleep on my sides. I also am hearing a lot of crackling in my shoulders. I have to wear this hard collar 24 hours a day. My neck is very stiff and sore, but I guess that's normal. I tOss and turn side to side at night because my head hurts and I get sore and uncomfortable sleeping. It's better than the first 2 weeks though.

lv2013 08-05-2013 12:53 AM

Jazzmine,

Thank you kindly for sharing your story. It has been nearly a year since your c1 c2 fusion operation, how are you doing ? How are you coping with the movement of your head
I am interested to know since our daughter will likely undergo such an operation and your feedback will be invaluable.

thank you

lv2013 08-05-2013 01:12 AM

Jazzmine,

Thank you kindly for sharing your story. It has been nearly a year since your c1 c2 fusion operation, how are you doing ? How are you coping with the movement of your head
I am interested to know since our daughter will likely undergo such an operation and your feedback will be invaluable.

thank you

Jazzmine1212 08-05-2013 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=lv2013;5207732]Jazzmine,

thank you[/QUOTE]

Hi,
It will be 10 months since my surgery and thank goodness I feel good. I sleep well, I have no pain and I'm a lot better than before. The only issue I have is I can't turn my head as much as before, but it's something I'm learning to live with. I am getting used to it though. I am very careful with what I do like lifting etc... But thank goodness everything worked out. Good luck to your daughter. It's a hard decision but make sure you choose a top notch doc you feel confident with.

lv2013 08-05-2013 08:42 PM

That is encouraging to know.
Thanks again