It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• neurostimulator

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
    DaveO48
    (male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User
    Re: neurostimulator

Hi Golfer 33,
    I have had severe lumbar back pain since having a burst fracture of L1 many years ago. I used varying degrees of narcotic pain medication, physical therapy, and "motion management" as I call it to reduce my pain level. I was able to make the pain level bearable but until I started using a portable TENS unit I still had problems. Now I use more benign pain management and the TENS machine. I get around quite well. I do have spinal stenosis and the resulting nerve compression that add to my management.
    I too would recommend having an evaluation for TENS use.
    Non-invasive, unlikely to cause or interfere with other problems, and it is covered by my and many insurance plans.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
    golfer33
    (male)

golfer33 HB User

[QUOTE=DaveO48;5102699]Hi Golfer 33,
    I have had severe lumbar back pain since having a burst fracture of L1 many years ago. I used varying degrees of narcotic pain medication, physical therapy, and "motion management" as I call it to reduce my pain level. I was able to make the pain level bearable but until I started using a portable TENS unit I still had problems. Now I use more benign pain management and the TENS machine. I get around quite well. I do have spinal stenosis and the resulting nerve compression that add to my management.
    I too would recommend having an evaluation for TENS use.
    Non-invasive, unlikely to cause or interfere with other problems, and it is covered by my and many insurance plans.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments. Who do I go to for an evaluation for TENS use? It sounds like a great start to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

a physical therapist would be your best bet --

Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
    DaveO48
    (male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User

Right, a physical therapist that knows your pain/back problem history.
    I was given a script by my primary care physician. He has followed my many problems for years.
    I then consulted with the therapist that helped me thru my most recent rotator cuff surgery recovery. She contacted a manufacturers rep that arranged the instruction and delivery. I have replacement electrode pads on an automatic reorder basis with one of their dealers.
    In all I have used this device and received pain level reduction. That, in turn, has helped me with muscle spasm problems I have had for decades.
    This therapy is covered by my insurance, and we all know that insurance companies won't pay for anything unless it has a track record of positive results (saves them money).

Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You should be able to give it a try at a physical therapy office before acquiring a unit for your own use. It would be a part of a standard appointment with a physical therapist.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi golfer33, Im sorry it took me so long to reply. Wasnt doing so good! I have had one from the dr office, ones that i got with dr Rx & medical supply that is used by the insurance that covered durable med eqip., one a dr put on me free, 2 ordered online by my husb for < $50. Ok, the one from dr office, & the one dr gave me free were stronger! The others dont have high enough current to work. Even saw the one my husb ordered @ a dr who said that he "patented" it just for his patients. He used a metal sticker over original name & a paper one on the exact instruction booklet! PT is an excellent idea b/c they will give you a strong one. The tens rep was supposed to show the new ones that are stronger but i cancelled her appt. The one my dr gave me works great so why change what works? Fyi: the ones with no power feel like a tiny mouse running on a rope making the power its so weak! I need one that not only making the "buzz"strong enough but the strong one pulls me upright somehow, makes my muscles sort of hold me upright better. Thank you, gm

Last edited by gmak; 12-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
    deanh
    (male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User

[QUOTE=golfer33;5101771]I'm new to this web site and sorry if I flub. Am not too familiar with tags and threads. I've been searching for information on my situation but with very little success. My pain management doctor is recommending a neurostimulator for chronic back spasms in the thoracic (mid to lower area) as a result of a sport injury some years ago. I've been through chiropractic care, epidurals, steroid injections, physical therapy, messages, and drug intervention (hydrocodone). I'd like to get off the drugs. The condition has gotten worse over the last 6 years. Do you know anyone who received a neurostimulator (ANS - St. Jude) for back spasms? It sounds like most of you have greater problems than mine but perhaps no less the pain. I would greatly appreciate your help and direction as my quality of life has gone to the dark side.[/QUOTE]

I have a st Jude STS. It has worked great but I have a battery issue. This should be a last resort and done if the trial works. My STS is peripheral which is a lot less evasive, FYI. I have pain from nerve damage to my spinal column.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=deanh;5103421]I have a st Jude STS. It has worked great but I have a battery issue. This should be a last resort and done if the trial works. My STS is peripheral which is a lot less evasive, FYI. I have pain from nerve damage to my spinal column.[/QUOTE]

Hi deanh, I would be interested in knowing more about your STS, where is it placed, how its inserted, is this percutaneous neurostim, which areas it could cover, more details? Like where are the leads, etc? Thanks, gmak

Closed Thread

Tags
    back spasms, thoracic