It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lumbar spine fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
    Bimbabi
    (male)

Bimbabi HB User
    Question Lumbar spine fusion

Hi all,
    I had my surgery seven weeks ago, it was discectomy l4-l5, laminectomy and fusion of l5-s1.
    I'm feeling pretty well, first few days post surgery was like hell from low back and legs pain then it started to gradually subside. First couple of weeks was really tough; most of the time under tramadol, limited movement except for short walks.
    Second two weeks was far better, the progress in pain intensity, frequency and ease of movement was obvious, was very encouraging to do more and more...
    And I reached week 5 was too optimistic for the past progress and started abusing it my back simply told me hold on and take it easy. Was frustrated a bit but realized that it's still too early in the healing process. By the way, resumed my sexual activity mid week three, was very cautious but went fine, later ones was better, still take it quite slowly.
    Pain now is bearable and after long sits or lay downs. I realized that God
    created us as active creatures not idle ones, walking is miracle and do magic
    for pain relief. I'm hardly on pain meds now, maybe once a week, driving and sitting is ok for up to about 45 minutes.

Still have a question, my neurosurgeon told me that he didn't use bone graft, is that normal, and how will it fuse if the disc is still there ?

Wish us all speedy recovery and sound health.
    Bassel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Lumbar spine fusion

Perhaps the surgeon changed his mind and did not do the fusion part of your surgery. They don't necessarily remove the disc in a fusion but as far as I know some sort of a bone graft system is always used.

Do you have some sort of hardware? (rods and pedicle screws, for example)

Closed Thread

Tags
    discectomy, laminectomy & fusion, lumbar fusion, spinal fusion