It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Back surgery gone bad

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Back surgery gone bad

Oh my Charlie. I can't imagine what you and your wife and the other family members are going through. I read that the hospital sent you a letter stating that there was something that happened during the surgery. Did they tell you what that something is? If not, make sure to get all of her medical records, nursing notes, surgical notes now , before things happen to them to cause them to disappear or become missing. I know that you have so much on your plate now and that dealing with what may be legal issues is not something you are concerned about right this second, but you will be glad that you got them later. I will add my prayers to everyone else's......even if she does recover completely, you don't want to not have what you need to take care of you, your wife and your young son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #32
    Precious55
    (female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

Prayers going up for her. Can't imagine what you and her must be going through. I had cervical surgery 2 years ago, and woke up in ICU because of a bleeding issue from the bone graft. Praying for everyone involved.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #33
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

OMG, I was lying in bed now feeling sorry for myself when I read this post!

I am so so sorry this has happened to you and your family. It was my biggest fear before going in for surgery almost 4 weeks ago. Thank the Lord I have minor complications.

Please know that you and your family will be in my prayers from South Africa. I will pass this message on to my friends and family as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
    Liarose006
    Inactive
    (female)

Liarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB User

Charlie just a note to let you know that Melissa and all of you have my continued prayers. As time goes on may her health continue to improve and may she become stronger. Bless all of you!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #35
    4life123
    (male)

4life123 HB User

i can assure you that anyone that reads your post will be thinking of you and your family while you battle to overcome the situation you find yourselves in. have faith in yourselves to overcome this and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all the way. this will be a situation where as individuals you will have moments of strength and moments of weakness. but you will not give up and you will win this battle. please stay in touch and know we are here to listen and to support you. keep strong. we are all with you

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #36
    CharliePA
    (male)

CharliePA HB User

Hi everyone, there's no change in her condition. It's getting harder for me now because every afternoon she gets a little delusional and usually ends up with me being on the receiving end of some pretty nasty names. They are calling it.. Sundowners illness which is a psychosis induced by sleep deprivation. This afternoon we were talking... Well me talking and then lip reading her responses, she told me out of the blue that our dogs were downstairs and she needed to take them for a walk. I tried to explain to her that they weren't down there and that she was paralysed as gently as I could but then the volcano erupted...... . Don't tell me where my f...ing dog's are and I've been taking them for walks here in Harrisburg all week. Then I tried to tell her that we were in Philly and it really hit the proverbial fan. She never uses that language with me or anyone for that matter. I went up on the roof to get some fresh smog and get my head straight. When I returned she was herself again. Gotta go. Doctors coming in. Keep praying for us please.......

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: CharliePA
    Liarose006 (04-27-2013),Precious55 (04-27-2013)
    Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #37
    Liarose006
    Inactive
    (female)

Liarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB User

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I hope that the professional at the hospital can give you some guidance on how to react to her confusion. It is difficult because she truly believes what she is saying and you may need to play along to keep her calm. Prayers are with all of you, especially for the strength you will need to get Melissa through this.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #38
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

Hi Charlie,

Sorry it is not going so well. We are all still praying for her. Ask the doctor why he think it is Sundowners, because if my memory serves me right, my grandmother had it because of her Alzheimers? When my mother was in ICU after she woke from her coma, she had the same symptoms and we worried that she was also getting Alzheimers or something. The doc explained that elderly get sundowners due to dementia or alzheimers, where my mom was suffering from hospital phsycosis because of all the medical equipment, constant light, changes her body went through that she did not know of, etc. My mom made a full recovery from her phsycosis after she was discharged and she normalised at home.

I do hope that her 'condition' is only temporary and I know that this must be very very hard for you seeing her like that. You need to be strong for her, but I hope you have family or friends who can be strong for you.

Lots of love and prayers
    LiquidIce

PS here is some extra reading that might help you and make her 'episodes' easier: http://www.dementiamanagementstrategy.com/Pages/ABC_of_behaviour_management/Management_strategies/Sundowner_syndrome.aspx

Last edited by LiquidIce78; 04-27-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #39
    CharliePA
    (male)

CharliePA HB User

Hey folks, first of all thanks for all your prayers. Nothing has changed with Melissa. She is still paralysed and can't feel anything from the neck down. I just found out ten minutes ago that my father has been admitted to the ICU at the same hospital my wife had her surgery at. He has multiple myloma. I know I'm supposed to keep this to one subject but I had to tell someone. If I believed in reincarnation I would say that I was Pilots gatekeeper at some point. I don't know how much more I can take. If anyone here ever meets me don't stand close because odds are you will get struck by lightning or have meteor fall on you. Keep praying please....

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: CharliePA
    Barefoot31 (04-28-2013),CT06405 (04-29-2013),teteri66 (04-29-2013)
    Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
    Barefoot31
    (female)

Barefoot31 HB User

I am so very sorry, try and keep the faith as I and many others will be praying for you. God Bless and keep you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot31 For This Useful Post:
    alida1234 (05-26-2013)
    Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #41
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear charlie, When me & my loved ones have been in icu or cancer or terrible situations in our hospitals in the south they ask upon admission if you want chaplain services, denominational or nondenominational & i cant say in words how much those men helped us in many ways. They come once a day to pray with us or more if you tell a nurse to get them. But, i do not know how it works where you are maybe the nurses would know or social worker, with hipa you may have to ask for a chaplain or about pastoral care services if you are interested in their services.We are continuing to pray & now for your father as well. God be with you all.

Last edited by gmak; 04-28-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: wording

Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #42
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Charlie, I have found that luck tends to even out over the course of life. Right now you have been dealt a bad hand and have had some bad luck. But at some point some great luck is due to come your way - hopefully sooner rather than later. We will keep praying!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
    dustytrail
    (female)

dustytrail HB User

My family does have your wife and family in prayers. My husband has postponed his surgery. Your story definately had an inpacked on his desicion. I have been told that any change in feeling without pain is a good sign. I hope your son is able to understand slightly what's happening. It must be so hard for him to really grasp it. Again, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #44
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

[QUOTE=dustytrail;5168134]My family does have your wife and family in prayers. My husband has postponed his surgery. Your story definately had an inpacked on his desicion. I have been told that any change in feeling without pain is a good sign. I hope your son is able to understand slightly what's happening. It must be so hard for him to really grasp it. Again, you are in our thoughts and prayers.[/QUOTE]

I am going through with my lower back surgery next Monday, but this tragic story has me planning to forego future surgeries of any kind that are not absolutely necessary. Many times doctors do good things for people when they operate, but other times an operation just causes more trouble.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #45
    LiquidIce78
    (female)

LiquidIce78 HB User

Does anyone know if there has been any news? I am still praying for all of them.

Closed Thread