It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Help! I'm in agony and the doctors don't help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
    Craftydaffy
    (female)

Craftydaffy HB User
    Angry Help! I'm in agony and the doctors don't help

Hello. I am a 43 y/o female with a history of l5s1 discectomy / hemilaminectomy in 1992, chronic pain with persistent sciatica since then, until 2007 when I had an acute phase which has never fully resolved. I had l5s1 fusion surgery 10 months ago because I got to the point that I could not straighten up or walk without assistance. It took ages for the, to do the fusion because they kept blaming chronic pain condition. Finally a bone scan showed increased activity at l5s1 so the surgeon recommended the fusion. I suffer from depression and anxiety, to include the mega embarrassing panic attacks in public.

So here are my questions based on probelms I am having now / since the fusuion surgery.
    [LIST][*]I am experiencing severe left hip pain all of a sudden, and it is not relieved by my pain meds. Whynis my hip hurting and how can I get it to stop?[*]I take Paracetemol, tramadol, lyrica, temazepam & sertraline. Can some of my symptoms be medication side effects? [*]Can damage or instability of the lumbar spine cause accelerated degeneration at other levels? I have a prolapsed c6/7 disc for which I had a c6 nerve block[/LIST]
    I can't sleep, I get hot flashes and wake up drenched in sweat or in agony when I do sleep. To top it off, I recently developed a bald spot so I have no idea what that is about. I'm sorry if my post is scattered, but that is how my mind works now. Jumping from thought to thought, easily distracted / sidetracked. I feel like I am a shell of who I used to be / who I could be, and I am trapped in an uncooperatve / defective body.

How do I get the GP to take my acute pains seriously (specifically my hip pain and neck / shoulder pain)? If I hear 'chronic pain condition' one more time I might just go ber the edge!
    If my meds aren't effective, why don't they try changing them? Doesn't your body get used to meds so over time they lose their effectiveness? I have been on tramadol for 6 years now, and Lyrica for 3 years.
    Can my hip pain be due to my fusion surgery?
    Any suggestions for getting sleep? I get about 4-5 hours of broken sleep n a good day (usually in 2 hr cat naps) and the cause of my waking varies from being drenched in sweat to extreme hip or lumbar pain. I can't get back to sleep once I wake up, and I have no meds to control break through pain.

I feel like I am at he end of my tether and my reserves are nearly tapped out. Can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Help! I'm in agony and the doctors don't help

Depending on where in the hip the pain is located it could be simply bursitis. If that is the case, an injection of lidocaine or something similar in the steroid family can easily calm the pain and eliminate it. It is a common problem, one easily addressed but you have to see the right doctor for the right condition. Many GP's are not familiar with the conditions and treatments available for them. My physiatrist treated mine after months of on going pain in both hips after surgery. The bursitis was gone in a matter of a few hours once he injected the bursa in both hips and I haven't had problems since with it.
    The night sweats sound like another common problem at our age- it may be perimenopause. I used black cohash for a few months and it helped immensely in resolving that issue as well . It may be time to visit your gyn and talk to them about the issue.. Simple hormone level tests can reveal if that is the case for you. And there are many over the counter meds available to help ease those symptoms.
    You are already taking a sleeping aid, so maybe try using melatonin at night to help you get to sleep and stay asleep.
    The pain in the neck and shoulder may be from the way you are sleeping, so try changing your position in bed at night and using pillows between your legs to see if that helps. Or add another pillow or take one away and see if the change alleviates some of the pain there.....if not, it may be time for some new films to see if there is something else going on.
    I'm sorry that you are having increased pain and hope that some of this helps ease some of it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain failed discectomy, lumbar fusion