It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• SEVERE back and stomach pain, thought I was dying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
    Beccy23
    (female)

Beccy23 HB User
    SEVERE back and stomach pain, thought I was dying

Hey there, everyone!

So just a bit of history: I have randomly had back spasms since I was in middle school (I am now 22) where I have trouble breathing and it feels like I am being stabbed in the back with something weighing heavily on my lungs. This happens randomly, sometimes it wakes me up and sometimes it occurs when I get out of the shower.

Well, I was woken up at 1:30AM this morning with what I thought was my usual, painful back spasm. I got up to go relieve it somehow but it proceeded to worsen. It has never hurt my stomach in the past but this time it was excruciating!! I thought my bones were going to all shatter and my stomach was going to explode. It was by far the worst pain I have ever felt. After 10 minutes I laid flat on a couch and it stopped after a couple minutes. It was so bad that I almost went to the hospital. I am scared this is gonna happen again and I don't know what caused it.

Not sure if this is related, but yesterday I suddenly felt tingly and numb on my face (left side of lips and tongue) and left arm and hand. It lasted about 5-10 min.

I am 22, and healthy yet underweight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: SEVERE back and stomach pain, thought I was dying

Hi beccy, Welcome to healthboards! Mucscle spasms really hurt &im sorry, i hope they are better by now. One thing would you mind stating where they are as in neck, ribs, under shoulderblades for example & where was the pain on your abdomen? Were they by your diagphragm? Also have you ever had back surgery or epidural?Thanks

Last edited by gmak; 06-28-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typos

Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
    Beccy23
    (female)

Beccy23 HB User

The back spasms I usually get occur under my shoulderblades, but this time it was my lower back and radiated to my upper back. The stomach pain was in my lower abdomen but mostly on my left side and it was really sharp and felt like I was being punched and stabbed.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Oh beccy im so sorry, that sounds so scary & i know it really hurt bad by how you describe it! I asked about surgery or epidurals bc i have major scar tissue issues that make the nerves do weird things. If i were you i would see my gastro just to make sure nothing was wrong with stomach, spleen, etc on my left side. I have had muscle spasms under shoulderblade that sent me to a massage therapist & it helped so much for me. I saw my GP because at the time there was no pain mgmt! He gave me muscle relaxers & anti inflammatories & the anti inflammatories caused severe abd pain that turned out to be peptic ulcers. Are you taking any NSAIDS?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
    Beccy23
    (female)

Beccy23 HB User

Thank you. :/ I am not currently taking any NSAIDs. The only drugs I'm taking are birth control pills and Spironolactone (for my skin).

Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
    Beccy23
    (female)

Beccy23 HB User

Thank you. :/ :/ The only pills I am on are birth control pills and Spironolactone (for my skin). I took an antihistamine the other day for itchiness, but that's it. I hate that I have to worry about my next spasm and I have no idea when it will happen.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
    Thordownunder
    (female)

Thordownunder HB UserThordownunder HB User

Hi Becky

Have a look at a dermatone chart. They are all over the web. You may have damaged your thoracic spine. Look at where the ribs from your thoracic spine that hurts go, - where the pain is distributed. There are a lot of people who have thoracic spine damage where the pain radiates round to the stomach, lungs and cause breathing problems.

Last edited by Thordownunder; 06-28-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear beccy, I think if i had had these since adolescence and they were always the same & now very different i would go to the dr & see if tests need to be ordered or PT or medicine. How long ago since you had an MRI or cat scan?

Last edited by gmak; 06-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain, numb, spasm, stabbing, stomach pain