It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Teacher with Sciatic pain, hip bursitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
    kellmax78
    (female)

kellmax78 HB User
    Unhappy Teacher with Sciatic pain, hip bursitis

Hi, im 34 years old and I have recently gotten MRIs done to reveal L5-S1 a posterior disc bulge with disc protusion that compresses my left S1 nerve root...I have been in constant pain for over 3 months now with pain shooting down my left leg/thighs and my left buttock kills me. I cannot walk without limping and it feels like my hip is out of socket....
    I have tried physical therapy, muscle relaxers, vicodin, ibuprofen, icing, etc...nothing long lasting relief. Last Friday I had to have an endometrial ablation done and they must have jostled me around while I was under anethesia or something because I am in WORSE pain than ever!!!
    I was also told I have hip bursitis and it only makes this all worse.
    I go in 2 days for an epidural lumbar steroid injection which I am also nervous about but hoping that provides some relief, although I read varied opinions. Spinal surgeon said they will try this out and then if it doesn't work they recommend surgery. Today I went to see a chiropractor who does accupuncture because at this point I will try anything.

Sitting, standing/laying, it all irritates me. I can barely sleep at night even with a wedge or body pillow. I wake up crying because I am so frustrated with this pain. Each day I am growing more and more depressed. I have 2 young kids and just moved into a new house and I feel helpless to get normal things done like laundry, emptying a dishwasher, or even picking something up off the floor.

I am a 3rd grade teacher and feeling very very worried about going back to work and even making it through the day. I cannot squat or bend and walking hurts. I don't know what to do and i guess I am just looking for any words of wisdom or advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
    2young4paininOH
    (female)

2young4paininOH HB User2young4paininOH HB User
    Re: Teacher with Sciatic pain, hip bursitis

Hello and welcome to the board, first you are not alone, I had all the same symptoms you do and it is very frustrating and painful. Especially when nothing seems to be working, I have had the injection and the first one worked for about 6 months and then there after they did not work as much or for as long, I no longer get them because I feel they are a waste of time for me. I also tried the facet injection and it only lasted 2 weeks so I won’t do that either anymore. I have hip bursitis and received the cortisone shot in both hips, it help a great deal, now that was a site . I could not lay on my back or my sides and lying on my belly hurt my back just as bad. What does help me is; I have a body pillow under my matter at the head of the bed, it gives the mattress a reclined angle so I am not lying flat. This does help and it takes some of the pressure off of my back. I use heat I find that heat works the best better the ice, however I will use ice when by back and hip are swollen really bad then I switch back to the heat. Basically I have heat on my back 24/7. I also buy the heat wraps when I need to and use the icy hot. I also have a power converter so I can plug my heating pad in the car when I have to travel more than half hour to hour. Epsom salt bath help and of course if you can get someone to rub your hips and lower back. I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot move my legs I am completely paralyze until my husband rubs my lower back and hips and does the bicycle motion with my legs. So see you are not alone. I have not have surgery, because I also have stenosis and other things going on with me to. SO I am a mess right now. The only position I am comfortable in is in a recline position but after a while that get uncomfortable too. I went to a chiropractor however I don’t go no more, I think that is up to you and your doctor. I am not allowed to go no more.( as of right now it could change who knows). There is one more thing I can tell you to try that someone on here mention it and it helps me , Lay on the floor with your butt up against the couch legs up on the couch and arms next to you at your waist palms up for 5 minutes and see if that helps. Try it what do you have to lose. If you want to talk or have any other question feel free to ask.. I will try and help you, But I am still learning to.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board.

Hopefully the ESI will work for you. I'd like to pass on a little tip that is something you will not read or hear from most doctors. Most will tell you that the day of the ESI, you should take it easy for the rest of the day, but the next day you can go about your regular routine. If you can swing it, try to be a couch potato for 72 hours -- this means stay off your feet as much as possible. Here's the reason why: unlike most injections which go into something, like a joint capsule or a muscle where the medication is contained, the epidural steroid injection is floated in up against a disc or a nerve or a particular area. The steroid bathes the area but it is not contained in any way.

If you go about your normal routine, you will be on your feet moving around. Your heart will pump more and the medication will get used up more quickly. If you stay off your feet, the medication will remain around the injured area longer, will not get used up as fast and thus, will have a maximum chance of helping to heal the area.

The ESI may have little effect...but staying off your feet for 72 hours will give you the best chance of it working.

Many people who have lower lumbar problems are initially told they have hip bursitis. I'm sure some people actually do have it, but, especially with a problem at L5-S1, while it feels like hip pain, it is really an issue of the interconnecting nerves, muscles in the buttocks and groin such as the piriformis, etc.being irritated. Also a problem in L5-S1 that affects the sciatic nerve affects the structural alignment of the spine. It is human nature to try to avoid the pain, so we change our gait, and compensate for the pain, which results in muscle imbalances, etc. This often results in strain on the hip joint and surrounding soft tissue/ligaments. You might want to resolve your sciatic pain before trying to treat the "hip" problem at the same time. You may very well find that it goes away too when you resolve the sciatic pain.

Try to take it easy and avoid anything that irritates the sciatic nerve. I know you have a million things you want to do with your new house, with the kids, etc. but you really need to be disciplined and let it go for now. When one has sciatic pain, it seems impossible that things can get worse, but, believe me, it can.

Does your MRI indicate the size of the disc protrusion or the extent of the nerve compression? There might be words like "minimal, mild, moderate or severe."

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi there are stretches you can do for the sciatic pain. You can get a physical therapist to sow you or look them up on your own just take it essy.

Also there sre lidoderm psrches that sre by script only to take the edge off.

There is also voltaren gel by prescription that is wonerrful you csl rub that on your legs at night.

I agree taking it easy after the shots. Did you say you tried nerve abalation?

If I think of anything else i'll post cathy

Old 07-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
    Teacherva
    (female)

Teacherva HB UserTeacherva HB User

Hi, I am also a 3rd grade teacher, my info is more from a teaching perspective than a medical one. Let me tell you this first everyone responds differently. I am just 5 weeks out from a laminectomy and L5S1 fusion. I tried the epidural shots once a week for 3 weeks then followed by PT (about 6wks). Pain was tolerable while in PT, however, once I stopped pain returned again and there were mornings I needed help just to get out of bed. So I gave into the last resort: surgery. I scheduled it for after school got out in June thinking my recovery time would be close enough to start the year. I'm pretty much over the hardcore pain, (still numbness tingling from time to time) weaned off hard pain meds and incision has healed nicely. What I didn't take into consideration wasn't that once you've had the operation it's not the getting over the pain aspect (I'm truly thankful for), but that it takes a minimum of 3 months for the fusion (growth of bone to form) over to START to fuse together those vertebrae. No bending, twisting, reaching, squatting...things that I automatically have done in a classroom of 30 students in a class for 15 years.
    I'm not sure if I'll be reporting the first day of this school year or not. Just keep that time line in your head, being a teacher, what your benefits are, etc. We don't have a "sit at a desk job." Thoughts and well wishes go out to you as a teacher dealing with the harsh pain, emotionally, physically, mentally, and academically teaching 3rd grade. I feel for you and have been there and still am. Hope a little of this helps.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
    Teacherva
    (female)

Teacherva HB UserTeacherva HB User
    Smile Re: Teacher with Sciatic pain, hip bursitis

Posted twice.

Last edited by Teacherva; 07-31-2013 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Double posting of the same thing

Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
    kellmax78
    (female)

kellmax78 HB User

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice.
    This morning I woke up with a new symptom: pins and needles in left leg followed by numbness in left foot across my toes. It is so annoying and feels like my foot is asleep.

I went for a transforaminal spinal edipural injection today in my l5/s1 nerve root since the dr said that is what is causing all the pain,,,,
    Doctor said there is weakness in left side, along w a mild drop foot and that it can progess quickly if not treated but that they want to try the injection first since it can work and help repair or take pressure off that nerve. If it doens't work then a micro discetomy is recommended.
    It worries me that i now have more symptoms and hoping this shot works. I have an appointment in another 2-3 weeks to evaluate my symptoms and discuss if the shot worked for me. If not, then I speak with the spine surgeon. All these appointments and driving to them is horrible---I start back to work on August 14 and NOT a clue how I can do this with already taking sick days for these appointments/consults.
    It is so stressful.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

So sorry about the new symptom. One thing you may want to do is research dermatone map it will show you what disc is causing pain where and numbness where.

If you have to have surgery and I'm sure others will back me up you want to try to find a surgeon that comes highly recommended from otherd, works in a large hospital and is possibly the head of the department and you want to get more than one opinion.

I know this sound awful and like a lot of work but your spine is so important. You want to take any xrays, mris with you to each appt.

One of the biggest mistakes made is doing too much too soon and ending up with failed back surgery syndrome..

I don't know about starting work, that's your call. I mean if you have surgery you may be out 6-8 weeks maybe longer oh ssk the dr about pt afterwards too I would want that to strengthen my core.

Cathy

While talking to a surgeon you want to ask what approach or how hell be doing the surgert, what the recovery time is, what your lifting, bending limits are if you have to have a brace afterwards.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bursitis, hip, l5/s1, sciatica, teacher