It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post microdiscectomy leg pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
    Jaime791
    (female)

Jaime791 HB User
    Post microdiscectomy leg pain

I am an 18 year old who just had a l4-l5 microdiscectomy 2 months ago. Before my surgery I had awful sciatica for 7 months. I have been doing well and just started running and working out I'm also going to physical therapy. I have really been working on extending my back because I am a cheerleader but today I was doing an extension and really started having leg pain again it's been a couple hours and not going away I'm getting really nervous is this normal? I haven't had leg pain since my surgery besides a jolt of it maybe 3 times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Post microdiscectomy leg pain

Welcome to the board.

Have you been a gymnast, dancer, diver or participant in another activity where the back is in extension quite a lot for many years?

Did you have flexion/extension x-rays prior to surgery and did anyone mention spondylolisthesis to you?

Two months is not long to recover and recondition before beginning strenuous activities post surgery Some surgeons make it seem like recovery is a month or two, but in reality it takes a good six months for the disc to toughen up and get dependably stronger. If the pain continues, or gets worse, you may want to see if the disc has reherniated.

In the meantime, you might want to cut back on the activity, use ice several times per day and hope that this is just a little over-use set back and nerve irritation.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
    Lynette57
    (female)

Lynette57 HB UserLynette57 HB User

I had a microdisc L4-5 almost 2 months ago. At 5 week follow up the Doc. said I could get busy again. Told me probably never to move any furniture again. Also to avoid bending at the waist to do yard work or housework.

My husband asked him how long it really takes to heal the disc. He said 3 months minimum. But said most people have to get back to work. I am fortunate that I don't, so I will as teri suggests, give it the long term healing time.

You are young, and things seems to heal so fast at that age. I would be cautious about jumping right back into the cheerleading. You will down the road regret continuing damage to your back. Our bodies tend to give us warnings decades before the non stop pain sets in.

Mine was likely due to moving the furniture in my house around just out of boredom. When It hurt me bad enough to be down for a week at 35, I didn't stop even with people suggesting I stop...or ask for help.
    I hope you haven't reherniated, give yourself the time you need to heal.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
    Jaime791
    (female)

Jaime791 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5217715]Welcome to the board.

Have you been a gymnast, dancer, diver or participant in another activity where the back is in extension quite a lot for many years?

Did you have flexion/extension x-rays prior to surgery and did anyone mention spondylolisthesis to you?

Two months is not long to recover and recondition before beginning strenuous activities post surgery Some surgeons make it seem like recovery is a month or two, but in reality it takes a good six months for the disc to toughen up and get dependably stronger. If the pain continues, or gets worse, you may want to see if the disc has reherniated.

In the meantime, you might want to cut back on the activity, use ice several times per day and hope that this is just a little over-use set back and nerve irritation.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have been a cheerleader for 10 years and I was checked for all those things prior. Hoping I didn't reherniate! The pain in my leg is starting to subside

Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
    Jaime791
    (female)

Jaime791 HB User

Thanks for answering, I hope you're feeling better too! And thanks I should probably just take it slower

Closed Thread

Tags
    microdiscectomy, post -op, sciatic pain