It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• ACDF Surgery with Esophageal Motility Issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
    super2mom
    (female)

super2mom HB User
    ACDF Surgery with Esophageal Motility Issues

I recently had an esophageal motility study. I would like to better understand how to interpret the results. I received a copy of the report but do not see the ordering physician for 2 more weeks.
    The final 2 lines on the report say this:

Interpretation/Findings: Hypotensive LES. Low aptitude contractions in esophageal body are generally peristaltic but with multiple waveforms which fail to propagate.

Impressions: non-specific esophageal motility disorder

The report has tons more information but it doesn't make sense to me. I am scheduled for an ACDF on C5 & C6 levels in 3 weeks but I am concerned because frequently that procedure affects the esophagus and I don't want to do something I will regret. I would really like to hear from someone that has had a similar experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
    goldyfm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
    Re: ACDF Surgery with Esophageal Motility Issues

Can't speak to the motility study but can say I had some swallowing issues and some speech impairment after ACDF. I was told that in surgery they literally move the esophagus to the side to access the surgical site on the spine. Most of the symptoms were temporary and only problematic short term. Good luck with the surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to goldyfm:
    super2mom (10-16-2013)
    Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
    super2mom
    (female)

super2mom HB User

I am now 5 days post op. I have struggled with the swallowing issues ( I lost 5 lbs) but I have to say it has gotten slightly better each day although I still feel like I have a tennis ball in my throat. My post op instructions from the dr did not give me any information regarding using either ice or heat on the affected areas. I also read a post on a previous board where a dr told the ACDF patient that was 5 days post op that any remaining pain would not be related to the disc issues. This freaked me out a bit. Can anyone who has been in this situation please share their experience? Is it normal for me to still have neck and shoulder pain at this stage in my recovery?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
    konagirl222
    (female)

konagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB User

I had the exact same procedure last year and experienced procedure pain for about 10 days. Improvement was a bit slower than the postoperative information I was given at the time of discharge from the hospital. Your situation does not sound unusual as there are so many factors including age that can affect recovery time. I used heating pad after 4-5 days and found it to be of great benefit.
    Hope you continue your recovery, the worst part is over.

KG

The Following User Says Thank You to konagirl222 For This Useful Post:
    super2mom (11-11-2013)
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
    super2mom
    (female)

super2mom HB User

I am now 6 days post op. The incision site on my neck feels like a hard knot about the size of an egg and it is raised. Just wondering if this is normal? I am still having neck and shoulder pain and hoping and praying that it subsides soon. I have used heat on the neck /shoulder pain and I used ice on the incision site. I will be glad when I can cook and clean again!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
    Scotttr
    (male)

Scotttr HB UserScotttr HB User

The key to recovery is rest and relax. The surgery you had is typical, and your current condition sounds reasonable . It takes a week or two for the frontal area to stabilize and months for the cervical area to stabilize. Eat soft foods, let other take care of you. As supermom, let the kids carry the load and take care of you!
    The quicker recovery times typically happen if you give a good month of light duty, don't carry laundry baskets, prep simple meals not time consuming. Once PTstarts, that's when you can slowly resume "normal" activities. But also talk with your Pt and doc about strenuous or highly active functions. The surgery is to stabilize your neck. It is possible to over do it. Good luck and just enjoy the down time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotttr For This Useful Post:
    super2mom (11-15-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    acdf surgery, acdf. swallowing, motility