It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• mri findings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
    qteee
    (female)

qteee HB User
    mri findings

Hi,
    I got my MRI results neck and back I need help with the findings.

Conclusion Broad-based central disc protrusions at C5-6/C6-7 narrowing the anterior CSF space. No cervical cord compression or significant foraminal stenosis.

LUMBAR DISC LEVELS
    L.1-1.2 No central canal or foraminal stenosis
    L.2-1.3 Broad-based small disc bulge. Mild bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. No central canal or foraminal stenosis.
    L.3-L.4 Broad-based disc bulge. Right greater than left facet hypertrophy. Mild ligamentum flavum hypertrphy. Mild centra canal stenosis. Mild right foraminal stenosis. Left foramen is patent.
    L.4-L.5 Mild grade degenerative anterolisthesis of L.4 in relation to L.5 without spondylolysis. Broad based pseudo-disc bulge. Prominent right greater than left facet arthropathy hypertrophty. Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Mild to moderate central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral forminal stenosis.
    L.5-S1 Broad-based disc bulge with superimposed right paracentral disc protrusion measures 1.3cm transverse and 3.5 cm anterior-posterior. Mild bilateral facet arthopathy-hypertrophy. No significant central canal stenosis. Mild right and mild-to-moderate left foraminal stenosis. No impingement of the nerve roots.

Conclusion1. Mild grade 1degenerative anterolisthesis of L4 in relation to L5 without spondylolysis. Mild to moderate central canal stenosis at L4-5 level, as described without impingement of the nerve roots.
    2. Mild degenerative retrolisthesis of L.5 in relation to S1. Right paracentral disc protrusion, as described without central canal stenosis or impingement of the nerve roots.
    3. Multilevel degenerative changes, as outlined above. Mild central canal stenosis at L3-4 level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: mri findings

Overall, these reports show widespread degenerative disease in the lumbar spine from L2 down, the worse appearing to be at the bottom level of L5-S1. The good news is that there appears to be no severe nerve root impingment, however, when listhesis (slipping forward or backward of one vertebrae on another) is present, the picture can change when you are upright vs lying flat. These findings must be coorelated with your symptoms, as far as what treatment is required. I would suggest if you have severe sciatic pain when upright, you might want to get an upright MRI, as the picture can be quite different in the position of pain and weight bearing. Your neck shows 2 level disease, and might be managed conservatively for now. These changes are part of an arthritis process that occurs with age, trauma, and hereditary tendency to degenerative spinal disease. Reducing pressure on the lumbar spine by keeping weight down, avoiding heavy lifting and long nperiods of sitting and standing can help slow down the process. Not fun to live with!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
    qteee
    (female)

qteee HB User

Thank you Ladybud for the answer. I have some other questions if you don't mind helping me with. I am in therapy and I told the therapist that my back sounds like someone whose knee or someone popping there knuckles. You can hear it if you are only a few feet away from me. This happens when lying down or standing up if I bend slightly. Also if I breath in deeply. My knees tend to buckle without warning. Can my back and neck cause me to have problems with other parts of my body for instants feeling like I have a crook in my neck that last for days? I would be forever grateful if you could give me an answer.

Thank you,

Last edited by qteee; 10-26-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes, the cervical disc protusion in neck can bulge out further, press on the nerves and cause irritation and muscle spasm, what feels like a crook in neck. During those times, anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxants may help. The lumbar area, if unstable, can cause muscle weakness, numbness, as well as pain, particularly when upright and weight bearing, as the listhesis (slippage of one vertebrae over the other) can be sufficient to pinch off the nerves or press on spinal cord. Have you seen a neurosurgeon? Flexion/extension xrays would be helpful to establish how much movement is at L5-S1, in case fusion is contemplated. A good strong lumbar support belt, like weight lifters use, might help with the low back pain. You can find them at Walmart and sporting gopods stores. I like the double wrap kind with hard stays in the back. They give the back and abdominal muscles support and help reduce the movement in spine.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
    qteee
    (female)

qteee HB User

Ladybud Thank you once again for your help, and to answer your question no I haven't seen a neurosurgeon as of yet but that's my plan. I will let you how that goes. Plus I will have the sit down MRI and the Xrays as well. Thank you so much for your advice it really has shined a lot of light on my situation.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
    wb2014
    (male)

wb2014 HB User

[QUOTE=ladybud;5236345]Yes, the cervical disc protusion in neck can bulge out further, press on the nerves and cause irritation and muscle spasm, what feels like a crook in neck. During those times, anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxants may help. The lumbar area, if unstable, can cause muscle weakness, numbness, as well as pain, particularly when upright and weight bearing, as the listhesis (slippage of one vertebrae over the other) can be sufficient to pinch off the nerves or press on spinal cord. Have you seen a neurosurgeon? Flexion/extension xrays would be helpful to establish how much movement is at L5-S1, in case [U][COLOR="Yellow"]fusion is contemplated[/COLOR][/U]. A good strong lumbar support belt, like weight lifters use, might help with the low back pain. You can find them at Walmart and sporting gopods stores. I like the double wrap kind with hard stays in the back. They give the back and abdominal muscles support and help reduce the movement in spine.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
    wb2014
    (male)

wb2014 HB User

[QUOTE=ladybud;5236345]Yes, the cervical disc protusion in neck can bulge out further, press on the nerves and cause irritation and muscle spasm, what feels like a crook in neck. During those times, anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxants may help. The lumbar area, if unstable, can cause muscle weakness, numbness, as well as pain, particularly when upright and weight bearing, as the listhesis (slippage of one vertebrae over the other) can be sufficient to pinch off the nerves or press on spinal cord. Have you seen a neurosurgeon? Flexion/extension xrays would be helpful to establish how much movement is at L5-S1, [COLOR="Red"]in case [U][COLOR="Yellow"]fusion is contemplated[/COLOR][/U].[/COLOR] A good strong lumbar support belt, like weight lifters use, might help with the low back pain. You can find them at Walmart and sporting gopods stores. I like the double wrap kind with hard stays in the back. They give the back and abdominal muscles support and help reduce the movement in spine.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
    wb2014
    (male)

wb2014 HB User

[QUOTE=ladybud;5236345]Yes, the cervical disc protusion in neck can bulge out further, press on the nerves and cause irritation and muscle spasm, what feels like a crook in neck. During those times, anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxants may help. The lumbar area, if unstable, can cause muscle weakness, numbness, as well as pain, particularly when upright and weight bearing, as the listhesis (slippage of one vertebrae over the other) can be sufficient to pinch off the nerves or press on spinal cord. Have you seen a neurosurgeon? Flexion/extension xrays would be helpful to establish how much movement is at L5-S1, [COLOR="Red"]in case [U][COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Red"]fusion is contemplated[/COLOR][/COLOR][/U].[/COLOR] A good strong lumbar support belt, like weight lifters use, might help with the low back pain. You can find them at Walmart and sporting gopods stores. I like the double wrap kind with hard stays in the back. They give the back and abdominal muscles support and help reduce the movement in spine.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
    wb2014
    (male)

wb2014 HB User

Hello Ladybud, I have similar issue disc protrusions C6, L2/3, L5/6 ranging from 4 to 6mm. Plus other degenerative issue. You mention fusion.

My Question: What is your opinion regarding minimally invasive treatments (small surgical incission, laser) to treat or remove bulging, herniated disc, or other degenerative disc conditions vs fusion?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The minimally invasive treatment works well usually for disc herniation without instability of the spine. Instability means one vertebrae is slipping forward, out of position, with bending forward and backward. It is determined by flexion/extension xrays of spine. The movement is what makes fusion necessary. If there is no movement, just disc removal of the herniated portion can be done.

Closed Thread