It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3 1/2 weeks post Dekompressor (Percutaneous) Discectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
    sahmsam77
    (female)

sahmsam77 HB User
    Unhappy 3 1/2 weeks post Dekompressor (Percutaneous) Discectomy

Almost 4 weeks ago I had Dekompressor Discectomy which also included some RF Ablation, *** (Platlet-Rich Plasma) Injection and an epidural all for a herniated L5/S1 with a small tear that appeared to be leaking.

The first two days were incredible, I was about 95% better that evening and all of the next day. After that, all of the previous pain came back. I'm being good, following orders and have had only two weird changes this past week. One day, I had no sciatic pain in the leg whatsoever. The next day everything was back. Then for three days I was in excruciating pain, worse than ever. Now the past two days have been somewhat decent, unbelievably. But all of this while still heavily medicated but no anti-inflammatories. The second thing that was new is that in my buttock that has always too had a lot of pain, all of the suddenly has become sore, sore like a bruise - almost like it's filled with lead and bruised. Very odd and uncomfortable feeling. I don't know what to think of any of this.

Has anyone had this kind of procedure? How long before you started feeling better? What did you go through? Am I jumping the gun here? I see most everyone has almost immediate relief from other discectomy's (micro or otherwise). I just don't see anything or anyone having done what I did. I need some feedback, thoughts, opinions. I'm worried this procedure failed but I don't know if it's too soon to tell and I am such a pessimist.

Thank in advance! :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: 3 1/2 weeks post Dekompressor (Percutaneous) Discectomy

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded to you sooner. I guess you are a trail blazer in having the Dekompressor procedure, at least among our active members.

How are you feeling by now? Have things continued to improve?

In general, it is still early in recovery. It is way too early to start feeling pessimistic! Just continue following your doctor's recommendations and be sure to take short, frequent walks. This helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching to a nerve as it is forming and filling in post recovery.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
    sahmsam77
    (female)

sahmsam77 HB User

I am having a hard time finding anyone that has done this particular procedure, it's very frustrating not having any replies. I was hoping for some inspiration. It is now at 4 weeks today, I feel no better. I am resting, walking, icing, heating, mild stretching, TENS unit for great periods of time (sometimes helps) and of course, plenty of pain medication. Today, on the scale... a 10, all the way.

I go to the Dr tomorrow, I just don't foresee how he will fix this, I'm sure the response will be "give it more time". It's been a month already, shouldn't I have a good day yet?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I cannot really comment on your situation as I have no experience with the procedure, either personal or from friends. I tend to be somewhat skeptical as the surgeons I consulted with were not fans...but, sometimes with newer technology, the use of it tends to be regional. Surgeons in my area tend to think this type of disc procedure has temporary results, I think.

I would imagine the "fix" would be a discectomy or micro-discectomy.

Reply Reply

Tags
    disc herniation, discectomy numbness spine surgery, percutaneous disc decompression, prp