It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• SEARING Hip Pain... Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    SEARING Hip Pain... Help

Hi Board --

I have a dessication 6 mm protrusion at L5-S1 which has caused significant right leg nerve pain (compression of L5 nerve root).

Back when all this started years ago -- all I had was the awful pain in my right hip. It was awful -- and eventually turned into my whole leg, etc.

To date -- ALL of my pain / nerve issues etc. have been in my right leg.

Until now. The past few days I have had searing hip pain in my LEFT hip. Worse than anything I ever felt on my right side.

Has anyone has leg pain that switches sides? Any idea what it means? Does this mean my left leg is about to start deteriorating or can it mean something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: SEARING Hip Pain....Help

You may be dealing with a spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. This is a situation where one vertebra slides over the top of the adjacent one. It can create an instability and this can result in a spinal nerve getting pinched, irritated or compressed. This can be diagnosed with a flexion/extension x-Ray if it is not seen clearly on MRI.

Or, it may be that the bulge that was pushing out toward the right has now become more centralized and is now affected the left side as well. If the nerve is left in a compressed state, I would assume that it may cause further deterioration of that side, too.

Yes it could be caused by something else, but since. You know you have this lumbar issue, I would get that checked out first to rule it in or out.

How have you been treating this problem up till now? Has surgery been suggested?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    Re: SEARING Hip Pain....Help

Thanks for the reply. Yes -- I have one surgeon who wants me to do a disc replacement and one who wants me to do a fusion. Both, however, want me to wait as long as I can tolerate the pain because I'm 32 and they're worried about long term stability.

My overriding fear about this is that while the pain in my right leg is excruciating -- at least my left leg was always completely pain free.

Now this hip pain is starting which was the first "leg" symptom I ever had on the right side.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of the deterioration in my left leg...not sure how common it is to go from one leg to the other or what that mean for the damage in my back....

The Following User Says Thank You to tradeof1jack For This Useful Post:
    Zims mom (02-09-2014)
    Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: SEARING Hip Pain... Help

As you know, members do not have formal medical training and do not reply in any sort of professional way, so keep that in mind as you read here. While I understand the logic of waiting to have a fusion or ADR, I'm not sure what I would do if in that position. I can understand it more with the artificial disc, and if that were my choice, I guess I would wait because technology is changing rapidly. There is a relatively new one in Europe that has not begun testing here in the US that sounds like it should result in fewer "issues" than what we have available currently.

Do the surgeons indicate how long you can leave that nerve or those nerves compressed? Actually, rhetorical question. I know they cannot tell you with any reliability as I've been there, done that. I know the surgeons have told you to wait as long as you can tolerate the pain, but ideally just how old are you to be to be old enough to have a procedure?

There are other body systems to consider as well, which spine surgeons seem to sometimes overlook. What about the health of the heart and lungs when it becomes too painful to partake of any form of exercise, to go along with muscle wasting, etc.?

Perhaps I am not clear on what's going on....I am assuming you still have pain in the right leg, and now the left leg is affected as well. Correct?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    Re: SEARING Hip Pain... Help

You're correct in all of the above, including the doctors being vague and non-committal like always.

Regarding the nerves, I've had multiple nerve diagnostic studies done (fun!) and the results were something like this -- compression of L5 nerve, but not serious enough to need immediate surgery. Whatever that means.

To sum up - they say I need surgery, but not immediately. So when? Who knows. I get the "well you can't undo it once you do it" and "youre so young will be hard to hold up the rest of your life..." blah blah blah. Its basically my call - but I have no idea how to make this decision or when its "time."

Yes -- all pain still there in right leg -- but this left hip pain is getting worse and is awful. Just really freaked out this is the beginning of left leg deterioration.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
    newton1001
    (male)

newton1001 HB User
    Unhappy Re: SEARING Hip Pain... Help

I just found this site today and joined because I now have severe pain in my left buttocks that occurs when I stand up, walk, or turn my body. The pain started gradually three days ago and is now at a level 6. Like you, this pain on the left is new for me. I only experienced pain on my right side over the past twenty years. I have advanced DDD, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, and other back problems that have led to worsening right side sciatica. We seem to be experiencing a similar condition: pain on the left side where previously it was only on the right.

Eight days ago, I received a steroid injection on my right side, L4/L5, and was feeling pain free on my right side two days later. I had three pain free days, both right and left side, and then my left buttocks started to feel as if it was being stabbed. The buttocks pain is sharp and lasts about a second. It comes without warning and stops me from taking another step. I do not feel the pain when I am sitting. Going down stairs and, especially, going up takes lots of willpower as the pain comes with every step.

I am taking pain medication (non-narcotic, Relafen, Gabapentin, Tylenol) but they do not seem to be very helpful for this pain. I have e-mailed my doctor and expect to receive his response on Monday. Since last Thursday (3 days), I have been sitting most of the day and only getting up and moving around when absolutely necessary.

I'll post again in a few days to report my progress in trying to resolve the stabbing pain I am now feeling in my left buttocks.

Closed Thread