It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• I want my life back.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
    Shay066
    (female)

Shay066 HB User
    I want my life back.

This is my first post, so let me tell you a little about what I've been going through. I am 21 yrs. old. I worked as a full time bartender at a restaurant that I've been with for almost 3 yrs. now. I am about to start my senior year of college and am trying to graduate with honors. I live with my boyfriend, we moved into a nice big house about a year ago, and we have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Last August I started having pain behind my left shoulder blade. The pain would come and go and would mostly act up when I was really active. I expected it would go away after a while, but it got worse and worse until I couldn't stand one day at work. It felt like my entire back was on fire. I went to the ER and he figured I was just over worked. So he gave me some pain meds, a steroid pack, and muscle relaxers and told me not go to work for a few days. It didn't work. The pain got worse and I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He said there was nothing to do for me and that my xrays looked fine. After a couple more ER visits, one Dr. basically told me I was crazy. I was too young to be having back pain. I finally went to a pain doctor. Before I has taken some of my mothers lyrica which helped some and had tried different narcotics like hydrocodone, norco, and percocet which would help at first, but I build up tolerances quickly and muscle relaxers don't do much for me. By the time I saw the pain doctor the pain was all over my back and neck and had spread to my arms and legs, especially the fiery feeling. The dr. started prolotherapy (they use a hair thin needle and wiggle it around at different spots to try and trigger the healing process). The first time I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up from pain. After that he finally listened to me and put me on a nuerotin. He also gave me a mild muscle relaxer and oxycodone 15mg for pain due to my tolerance for narcotics. He did 6 straight weeks of prolotherapy. I didn't get any real relief from the prolo but I was afraid he wouldn't prescribe me the pain meds if I didn't and I can't work or do much else without them. Hell, I have to plan on takiing pain meds to have sex with my boyfriend. It's been 4 months and the medication has been working until a few weeks ago. The pain meds started not working. They only work if I double my dose which I means I run out very early. The neurotin keeps the fiery pain under control but I need the pain meds for soreness and sharp pain. I'm terrified of telling my doctor that they're not working. I feel, like most doctors so far, that he only sees a young female and that I have no real power in my treatment. I don't want to be seen as a drug seeker. My mother has been on pain meds for years. She's disabled on SSI and I've seen how doctors treat her. On top of my developing a tolerance for the narcotivs the last time I saw him he did the prolo and my drive home my back completely locked up. I was hunched leaning to the left as a muscle from my neck down under my shoulder blade would not allow me to move. I had my grandmother immediately drive me back up there and he gave me a toradol shot and something to numb it. He didn't even bother to tell me what he was giving me. When I layed down for the shot he also did more prolo. I couldn't believe it! I was pretty sure that's what had caused my back to lock up in the first place and he was doing more without even asking me! My neck is now always hurting, I have constant headaches, and I can barely turn my head which makes it very difficult to drive. Ive been dying for an mri and testing, I've asked several times. I still don't have a diagnosis, but I've been without insurance until now and paying out of pocket. He says he's been waiting on my insurance and now wants to wait til i reach some of my deductible, which I suppose is nice, but I could've paid for the mri by now with the money I've spent seeing him ($400 the first visit and $100 per visit after that). I finally have insurance when means I finally got in to see my familoy practitioner tomorrow. I'm hoping she can really help me, but I'm at my wits end here and don't know what to do anymore. I'm in constant pain and the life I worked so hard to build is in shambles. I have major debt and the future seems bleak. I just want to be able to work and go to school and not have to tell my boyfriend that we can't go out or have sex because I'm in pain. If anybody has any suggestions I could really use some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
    jw90
    (female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
    Re: I want my life back.

sorry to hear about all you are going through but no matter what get the MRI tell the hospital you will make payments on the test..because let me tell you waiting is not going to help, and your back does not care if you don't have insurance..if necessary go to the ER and tell them you are in so much pain and they will do an MRI...hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
    Shay066
    (female)

Shay066 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I know I wrote a novel there. I have another appointment with the pain Dr. in a couple of weeks. I'm going to make sure the MRI gets scheduled one way or the other.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

In my opinion it is very irresponsible for a pain doctor to do prolotherapy, or any type of injection on your spine without giving you a diagnosis and knowing what is causing the pain.

How does he know he is even injecting the appropriate level? It sounds like he is merely guessing based on the description of your symptoms.

You really need to get a MRI, probably of the cervical spine, to determine what is going on.

Often people who use their upper bodies a lot develop pain across the shoulders, occupations as diverse as hairdressers, barbers, musical conductors, etc. and it is a muscular over-use problem rather than a mechanical problem with the spine. I would think that could be a possibility for you too, and it would be a shame to be getting all these injections when they may not be doing any good.

You might do better if you could find someone who does bodywork...but you won't know until you have a proper diagnosis.

Many areas now have private, free-standing MRI centers that are not associated with a hospital or clinic. Where I live, one can get a MRI for $600. Perhaps there is something similar in your area.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
    Shay066
    (female)

Shay066 HB User

All I know for certain is that I have serious muscular issues and some severe nerve damage. Yes, he is simply guessing. The prolo therapy does not seem to be helping me much at all. Sometimes it'll help for a day or two. The first time however, I couldn't leave my couch for a week, and like I said in my original post I've had extreme issues since the last time. I really think he just enjoys doing it to people and from what I've heard from other patients he really does. I go to the same chiropractor as his daughter (she was in a really bad car accident some years ago) and apparently she is also not a fan. He was apparently an anesthesiologist originally and I'm not sure he has had any real training as a pain doctor. He started practicing after what happened to his daughter. I didn't know that you could get private MRI's however, so thank you very much for telling me about that. I'll have to look and see if there's anywhere in the area. If not I may have to do as Jwatt suggested and simply go to the ER and ask them to do it. Again, thank you, you have been very helpful.

Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain, chronic pain, headaches, neck pain, nerve pain