It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• A stable uncomplicated Th12 fracture. Can I sit and drive in a body jacket?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
    TN820
    (male)

TN820 HB User
    A stable uncomplicated Th12 fracture. Can I sit and drive in a body jacket?

Hello,

I slipped in a hotel bathroom on June 9th. I'm 32. It's my first fracture ever. I've been always drinking tons of milk and yougurt. When i fell on the tile floor I thought I injured the coccyx and there was discomfort in my neck as well, but I felt pain only the moment I hit the floor. When an ambulance came I refused to have any sedation and walked to the van. X-ray showed a Th12 fracture, and after a CT scan the same day I was diagnosed for an uncomplicated stable compression fracture with no neuro deficit; I also measured the scan image - anterior side height 21mm comapring to 25-26mm at neighbouring Th11 and L1). Initially a doc in the ER room said that they were going to put me in the cast but later on they sent me to trauma deptartment without even puting a cloth roll under my back. Then the next day I was transported to my home city, and only after transportation (acceleration and deceleration and 400 km of bumpy roads) I could feel the place of fracure and it was quite painful.

One week after the trauma I was allowed to go to the toilet in a body jacket (TLSO brace - cloth, Velcro and aluminum rods in the back) using crutches. A week after I was sent home, bed rest till 4 weeks after the day of trauma. I started regular walking four weeks after the mishap. First with the body jacket, then a week later without it.

8 weeks have passed since the injury. I had a MR scan last week, as I had pain in lower back when walking (I suspected herniations, and yes, three of them were found - L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1 with sacralization + Schmorl's nodules). The report sais 'MR signs of the state after a compression fracture of Th12 body with residual cuneated deformation'.

At present I walk for about 4 to 6 hours every day in total, having several 1-2 hour walks.
    I don't know if it's okay to stand and walk that much, but my neck feels much better (I was diagnosed for a C5-C6 herniation as well when I was at the hospital, as I started feeling "needles" and "scratching" in my hands and feet after 3 days in an uncomfortable bed).

Now there is no pain and there was almost no pain in the past - just uncomfortable burning sensation in the region of the fracture after some movements. There was aslo a kind of numbness in my lower abdomen. I could urinate well but it seemed to me that there was lack of sensation (and sometimes there is still some alteration of sensations). Can it be due to herniations in lumbar section?

A couple of days ago I put on my body jacket and tried to sit in the car with a cusion behind me. I had not sat before at all. It was okay, but the cushion seemed to be big and not soft enough. I made a 10 minute drive around the block and that's it.

The docs here in Russia are pretty conservative, suggesting no sitting up to 6 months.
    My outpatient clinic surgeon says I should only walk using crutches and wearing a body jacket for 3 months at least.

In Western medical literature I found several approaches. Some are as conservative as Soviet-based ones, some suggest immediate verticalization, as long period in bed leads to unwanted complications in other systems of the human body. Some investigations show no difference in outcome comparing several groups of patients (body jacket, no body jacket, full bed rest).

It would be nice if you share your experience in getting to the normal life. Did anybody drive 2 months after the mishap? Were there any complications?

Thanks in advance.

I can upload recent MR scan picures if needed.

Last edited by TN820; 08-05-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Addition of details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: A stable uncomplicated Th12 fracture. Can I sit and drive in a body jacket?

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you had an accident and still suffering the effects of it.

You are correct that at least in the US, back and spine injuries are not treated with bed rest. For almost all issues, the patient is up and moving within a couple days of the injury. The only exception I can think of is with the older style of sacroiliac joint fusion, where the person is not allowed to be weight-bearing on the side of the fusion for several months. Many times thoracic fractures are not even braced. But as to what is the "correct" way to do things....I do not know.

As to the lumbar herniated discs, if there is any spinal nerve compression in this area, it can cause tingling and numbness in the groin, hip, buttocks, leg and foot. Bowel, bladder and sexual function can also be affected, particularly by the L5 and S1 spinal nerve roots.

Sitting is the worst position for the spine, putting 30+% more stress on the discs than either standing/walking or lying down. After a disc surgery or fusion, most doctors restrict sitting to 15-20 minutes at a time. Even after healing is complete, it is a good idea to limit sitting...get up and move around after sitting for an hour or so.

residual cuneated deformation...I wonder if that's what we would call a wedge fracture?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
    TN820
    (male)

TN820 HB User

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I meant a wedge-shaped fracture saying cuneated. As far as I can see in CT and MR images that I have, it is something in the middle between A1.1 Upper plate depression and A1.2 Wedge fracture but with no fragments displaced. The neighbouring vertebrae, as well as the lower side of Th12 have Schmorl's nodules as well as small bubble-like cavities in their bodies. So I think Th12 was already predetermined to be damaged in case of a fall.

By the way, could I have a smaller fracture there 1.5 years ago? I fell while ice scating, and what I felt was very similar to what I experienced 2 months ago, but that was a 'lighter version' so to say. I think I started feeling some rare discomfort in the region of kidneys from after that fall. Some pressure-like pain which could be noticed when I was not doing anything.

A question about the weight. I weighed about 94-95 kg (208 lbs) before the injury, I was going to lose weight a bit, but not at such price :-). Now I weigh 86-87 kg (190 lbs). Is lack of appetite normal? I had to eat in bed for 4 weaks and I got used to smaller and more frequent meals. I think some muscles are gone as well.

I also have some questions regarding my C5-C6. Is it better to refer to 'Hernia' section of the board?
    Here is what I have regarding this issue: 'At the level of C5-C6 segment there is a median circular disc protrusion, 5 mm in the sagittal and 12 mm in the frontal plane, with a moderate deformation of anterior chamber of the dural sac and likely compression respective roots.'
    I read 12 mm is on the edge of operation already. I had numbness and a bit of pain in my right hand before from time to time but I did not pay attention to it. Could it be that the fall made the situation worse with the herniations I have, not my bed rest?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
    TN820
    (male)

TN820 HB User

Do I get it right that short 10-15 min. driving is too early even with a TLSO brace (20-30 min. total per day)?

I mean a soft TLSO brace like VERTAMAX TLSO (an analog which I found in the US).

Last edited by TN820; 08-05-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added time

Closed Thread