It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3 Days Post Op - ALIF/PLIF L5-S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User
    3 Days Post Op - ALIF/PLIF L5-S1

Hi board --

Always appreciated reading these from other so wanted to do my own check in. Surgery was 'success' they were originally planning on putting a bracket on the posterior side but said my bone structure wouldn't allow it or something.

So it was mainly an ALIF but they did go through the back to do some bone grafting, so I have incisions on both sides.

So far so good on recovery, obviously very ginger but have been up and moving since 24 hours after and was in hospital for 2 1/2 days.

Have used painkillers when needed but I plan to take it very easy and not push anything. Doing my regular exercises / walking each day has worn me out pretty good but overall so far so good. ANy questions let me know and I will keep udpating this thread over the next couple weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: 3 Days Post Op - ALIF/PLIF L5-S1

Glad to hear things are going OK. I just wanted to mention that the point of walking for the period right after surgery and several weeks thereafter is not for exercise or to build up stamina. Scar tissue begins to form after surgery and for the first twelve weeks post-surgery. Walking is the best exercise to stretch out the spinal nerves gently. So, walking often and for short distance is the best way to keep scar tissue from attaching to a nerve.

Some surgeons still give their patients a guide of how far to walk. This is kind of the old-fashioned way of doing things. As a matter of fact, walking a mile or two, or more right after surgery is actually detrimental to over-all healing. Doctors often fail to mention that growing new bone takes lots of energy...and that rest is every bit as important as any other activity, actually walking short distances often and resting are the two most important activities for you now!

Sitting should be limited to 15-20 minutes at a time. When you aren't walking, use lots of pillows to prop yourself up to a reclining position. Some surgeons allow the use of a recliner while others do not, as so many actually do not support the spine properly.

Plan your day so that you take little walks around your house when you get up to use the bathroom...including during the night. Get lots of rest, drink lots of water and other fluids....
    You will be feeling better soon.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
    tradeof1jack
    (male)

tradeof1jack HB User

Thanks. Still going well and following instructions, taking little walks but otherwise just resting. Pain is decreasing a little each day.

However the nerve pain is realy firing in my leg. Same one i had the pain in before so hoping its just "turning back on" or something.

Will continue to update.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Your surgeon probably had to manipulate the affected nerves somewhat in order to get them decompressed. Even if there is no residual nerve damage the nerves are somewhat traumatized during the surgery.

The fusion surgery is a fairly strenuous surgery , rather like a carpentry project and the tools and hardware resemble a high tech version of what you could get at the hardware store. There is drilling and hammering and cutting away, and screwing in of pedicle screws. It is not a gentle process, so it is common for there to be lingering nerve pain for quite some time post surgery.

If the nerve has been compressed for some time, it can take a long time for the nerve to regenerate...like 12 months, or even longer.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

I had more leg pain following my 1st fusion but it did get better as time went on so hang in there.
    Scotty

Closed Thread

Tags
    alif surgery, fusion, l5-s1