It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• broken Harrington rod

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
    Jan E
    (female)

Jan E HB User
    broken Harrington rod

I had my first surgery in 1979 on my thoracic spine in 2011 on my lumbar spine the doctor attempted to connect the new hard wear to the Harrington rods from 1979 it broke and now the rod is poking my skin you can visably see and feel it
    It is very sore and I keep developing a open sore there has anyone run into this problem before

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Jan E
    Kass490 (11-22-2014),loveflower23 (11-25-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User
    Re: broken Harrington rod

Hi Jan E
    I'm sorry you have developed open sores. I have 2 rods in my lumbar but not the Harrington, I don't think they use them anymore, not sure.
    have you seen your surgeon? What did he or she say? Wow I can't believe the rod is poking through your back!!!! Please see your surgeon if you haven't already.

Lots of questions?????

Old 10-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
    Jan E
    (female)

Jan E HB User

[QUOTE=Moonstar22;5325302]Hi Jan E
    I'm sorry you have developed open sores. I have 2 rods in my lumbar but not the Harrington, I don't think they use them anymore, not sure.
    have you seen your surgeon? What did he or she say? Wow I can't believe the rod is poking through your back!!!! Please see your surgeon if you haven't already.

Lots of questions?????[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply, after my surgery in 2011 while I was still in the hospital recovering I told my doctor that I felt a big pop in my back he said the X-ray showed that the fusion was doing fine but I found out that he cut one of the Harrington rods and tried to attach the new hardware to it and that is were it broke he kept telling the X-ray looks good I had a small lump were the break is he said it would go away after time but it has just gotten bigger and I am loosing height because I am hunched over now and it is hard and painful to hold my neck up. Last year I decided to get a second opinion I was referred to the scoliosis institute in Texas they confirmed what I thought all along that it broke and now the Harrington rod is pushing outward causing Kyphosis he believes I will need revision surgery within the next 5 years. I have consulted a couple other surgeons were I live now and they both agreed that if I do surgery again I should go to one of the few institutions in the country. That is were I stand as of now but I know I need to make a decision. Does anyone no anything about the institute in Dallas? I really trusted the surgeon I had in 2011 he was a understudy of my first surgeon in 1979 and said he was going to consult with him but h kept all his records in a barn of his back then and there was a fire that destroyed all the records. Thanks again

Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I do not have personal experience with the Scoliosis institute you mention, but if several docs have advised you to go to it or one of the other places that specialize in treatment of scoliosis, I would heed their advice....and I wouldn't wait for years to do it. I think I would do it sooner before any other issues evolve.

When something is out of place, it can cause problems in other places due to the fact that our bodies naturally compensate to avoid more pain.

There are several places in the Dallas area. Are you referring to the one at Baylor?

Sometimes people wait too long to have surgery. I imagine scar tissue is continuing to form around that rod that is poking through. It is not going to get better, and may be causing additional damage.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
    Jan E
    (female)

Jan E HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5325417]I do not have personal experience with the Scoliosis institute you mention, but if several docs have advised you to go to it or one of the other places that specialize in treatment of scoliosis, I would heed their advice....and I wouldn't wait for years to do it. I think I would do it sooner before any other issues evolve.

When something is out of place, it can cause problems in other places due to the fact that our bodies naturally compensate to avoid more pain.

There are several places in the Dallas area. Are you referring to the one at Baylor?

Sometimes people wait too long to have surgery. I imagine scar tissue is continuing to form around that rod that is poking through. It is not going to get better, and may be causing additional damage.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice, yes I am talking about the Baylor scoliosis clinic I need to get insurance that wii cover me to have surgery there I am working with someone but she said I can't enroll until after Nov 15 and it won't go into effect until the first of the year. It is also going to be very expensive monthly premium I don't know how we are going to afford it I have not worked since my last surgery

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

Well, I'm not sure how you feel about this but I'd say you probably have a pretty good malpractice case against your 2011 surgeon. Several things sound off about that whole thing including trying to attach to the old rod (that hasn't been used for quite a while from what I've read), cutting the rod which I doubt is protocol and not having the records properly archived.

At any rate, If it were me, I'd want to get that taken care of as soon as possible. As Teteri says, there are many things that can go wrong with that rod poking out.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
    Jan E
    (female)

Jan E HB User

Thanks so much for the support it is nice to have someone to talk to I think I may stick with the Baylor institute I have a friend that had surgery there for her scoliosis 5 years ago they said she was the third worst case they ever worked on. She is very straight now like a board but I notice she does not have much mobility but she is very thankful not to be hunched over anymore she said she still has some pain still but I guess that will always be the case.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jan E:
    loveflower23 (11-14-2014)
    Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
    loveflower23
    (female)

loveflower23 HB User

No but I had my surgery almost 20 yrs ago was JUST told that there's a connection between the rods n a type of arthritis I've been havin ALOT of probs in the past few years TRIED SO MANY different things from narcotics 2 pain rubs n creams patches physical therapy tens units n cant find the right thing 4 me my aunt has rods I dunno if they're Harrington r not but after her spinal surgery the screws r whatever holds the rods in came loose n she STILL has trbl if u EVER wanna talk abt nething im here 4 u

Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Paul Harrington developed the rods after working with polio pateints. He had a protoge in Kansas named Marc Asher. Dr. Asher ran the orthopedic and spine specialty department at the University of Kansas Medical Center till he retired, and has passed the practice to an amazing surgeon-Dr. Douglas Burton. Dr. Asher is still around and lectures on the develpment of the rod/pedical procedure, and he himself developed the ISOLA system which came after the Harrington Rods. I can't imagine there is anyone more familiar with what you are dealing with than Dr. Burton, who still consults with Dr. Asher from time to time. I know all this because I work at the Med Center, in the Orthopedic Department. Dr. Harrington's archives are all here. I know Dr. Burton did his felloship at the Texas Back Institute, so I am sure they are really good. Just wanted to offer that.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
    Kass490
    (female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

Too late for malpractice, I think. There's a 3 year statute of limitations for medical.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
    Kass490
    (female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

[QUOTE=Jan E;5325190]I had my first surgery in 1979 on my thoracic spine in 2011 on my lumbar spine the doctor attempted to connect the new hard wear to the Harrington rods from 1979 it broke and now the rod is poking my skin you can visably see and feel it
    It is very sore and I keep developing a open sore there has anyone run into this problem before[/QUOTE]

So sorry this has happened to you. I am continually amazed at what happens when the integrity of the body is broken and something either wears out or isn't done properly. Then, there really is no going back.

Closed Thread

Tags
    scoliosis