It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• ALIF Cold foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
    bobo2480
    (male)

bobo2480 HB User
    ALIF Cold foot

I had ALIF L5S1 revision surgery on 12-4-2014
    To repair a failure to fuse after TLIF
    In 2012. The past week my left foot at various times during day is ice cold. I started using a digital thermometer to measure and the bottom of my left foot would be 84degree at same time my right foot is 97degree. My left leg and foot is the leg I have had problems for years along with my back pain. My left foot will return to normal temperature and then get ice cold again. I cannot figure a specific behavior pattern that may cause this. Anyone have any ideas? I am having usual back and leg pain as well.
    Thanks

Last edited by bobo2480; 01-09-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
    123rsdsufferer
    (female)

123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User123rsdsufferer HB User
    Re: ALIF Cold foot

One foot colder than the other can be a sign that you have poor blood circulation, which is often associated with peripheral neuropathy or vascular disease. You have to remember that you have had major surgery which required manipulation of major nerves so to have neuropathy symptoms is not that unusual. However, I would definitely talk to your doctor to be on the safe side so that you get adequate and timely treatment.

I have CRPS/RSD and this is one of my symptoms. Please bear in mind I'm not saying you have it but I have to ask a couple of questions to find out more information about your symptoms as the earlier the treatment with CRPS/RSD the better.

Do you have any skin color changes in the leg? Swelling? Is your pain any different than usual? Could you describe the pain for me?

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
    bobo2480
    (male)

bobo2480 HB User

Thank you do much for your reply. I have not noticed any unusual discolor of the foot or swelling. The bottom of toes have some numbness, this went away for a fee weeks after surgery but came back about week 2 and varies in intensity. I have deep lower back pain, with pain down left butt and leg primarily, some pain into left ankle and foot. I occasionally get typical sharp or burning nerve type pain in my foot and toes but it does not last long. The lasting pain is more of a deep pain. I left message with the Surgeons PA And she was baffled. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I have read these boards for years and this is my first posting.

Last edited by bobo2480; 01-10-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. I guess I would have it checked out just to be sure you do not have a blood clot in the leg or something similar...but I suspect it is just one of those peculiar symptoms we develop after spine surgery. My right leg was most affected with my nerve compression and even though my last surgery was five years ago, my right foot gets colder from time to time. But then, it is also a bit more numb than my left ankle and foot....I also felt cold in my torso, primarily lower back for about 18 months post surgery. I would use my car seat heater even in the summer just because it felt good. I wore a long, snug camisole under my clothing just to keep my torso more comfortable....etc.

After three lumbar surgeries, I have just come to accept that there will be some symptoms that the doctors cannot explain. I would assume that as you get further out from surgery, this difference in temperature will probably lessen or go away.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
    bobo2480
    (male)

bobo2480 HB User

Thanks for reply, my 3rd surgery L5S1
    Lam in 1988, TLIF 2012, Psuedoarthrosis, no relief
    Changed surgeons had ALIF 12-4-2014. All L5S1.
    An experiment I did,
    Walked around house 20 minutes got into bed
    Took temp
    Left foot 96.3 R 97.6
    5 minutes in bed
    Left 86.3 R 97.1
    30 min bed
    L 83 R 97

Same thing 1 hour later
    Cold is only bottom of foot and top and bottom
    If toes. Top of foot and leg no issue.

Left foot continues numb in toes.

Thanks to all who take time to reply.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Hmmm. That is weird. I have never heard of that...but then I never thought to take my foot's temperature. Maybe I have the same issue.

Does it only happen when you lie down?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
    bobo2480
    (male)

bobo2480 HB User

I am still experimenting but seems to only happen
    When I lay down after standing or walking. My wife has one of these electronic thermometer so
    It is really easy to do. When I wake up in morning
    Temp is normal both feet. I just woke up from 2hr nap as I did no have much sleep last night. Temp in both feet were around 97 and 97.5. Took a short walk then a shower. Got into bed and took temp was 86left and 87 right - first time I noticed lower temp in both feet - did this several times and only feet had low temperature. After about 15 minutes in bed my left is 83.4 right 97.6 I repeated several times to make sure.
    I am assuming nerve issue but thinking may call
    The vascular surgeon who did the entry for
    My ALIF on Monday if this continues.
    Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
    123rsdsufferer
    (female)

It does not sound like CRPS/RSD. Thank you LORD as I would not wish this on anyone!!

I agree your symptoms are sounding more vascular to me and I want you to do another experiment. I know it sounds weird but I am trying to find out if you are affected by the temperature of water too. I want you to go take a shower and run warm water over your leg and foot and see if you can feel the temperature. Afterwards, try cold water.

Last edited by 123rsdsufferer; 01-10-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
    123rsdsufferer
    (female)

I forgot to ask....do you have circulation support stockings? If not, you might want to get a pair to help the circulation in your legs.

Closed Thread