It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

Crustiness/peeling around earrings

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
squick64
(female)

squick64 HB User
Crustiness/peeling around earrings

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it is I've been dealing with.

I get a sort of dryness or crustiness on my earlobes, around my earrings. It's mostly on the front, although on the bottom holes, it's in the back. It results in scabs that I pick off, leaving red skin underneath (maybe I shouldn't do that, yeah). It's on both ears.

I have a nickel allergy, but this isn't that. It's not a rash, and it doesn't itch or hurt.

I always keep earrings in (silver ones), which may be contributing to this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Crustiness/peeling around earrings

This is probably an allergy, it is not uncommon to develop allergies to things you were never allergic to after a few years. Are you positive that your earrings are silver? 99% of Silver has nickel in it, which is a huge allergy element for many people. I would take the earrings out for a week and use some ointment on your earrlobes to keep them moist, such as an over the counter type antibiotic ointment. Something like neosporin...see if they dont start to heal. Then, if you are going to put earrings back in, go buy yourself the kind of earrings used for piercings, completely devoid of any allergy elements OR if you can wear Gold, look for 14 K, with no fillers....see if you can tolerate this type of earring.
I went through something similar years ago. It turned out my favorite "gold" earrings were gold overlaid- and they had a nickel base. I am very allergic to nickel. But who knew! My ear lobes cleared right up! But now my earring choices are pretty limited...
Good luck!

Reply Reply