It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• RE-highlighting own hair- bad idea?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
    Gday

Gday HB User
    RE-highlighting own hair- bad idea?

A little bit ago, I got my hair highlighted at a salon, and while I didn't have any complaints, I think the cost was rather unreasonable when I'm sure I could do it myself.- and I could just follow where they were before...I'd just be really freaked out if the color turned orange or brassy, but I don't really see that happening since it's light already...but also, I'm afraid maybe store bought dyes are harsher on hair, and mine is already dry, and I wouldn't want it breaking off! But I could always do a conditioning treatment before and after... Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User
    Re: RE-highlighting own hair- bad idea?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gday
    A little bit ago, I got my hair highlighted at a salon, and while I didn't have any complaints, I think the cost was rather unreasonable when I'm sure I could do it myself.- and I could just follow where they were before...I'd just be really freaked out if the color turned orange or brassy, but I don't really see that happening since it's light already...but also, I'm afraid maybe store bought dyes are harsher on hair, and mine is already dry, and I wouldn't want it breaking off! But I could always do a conditioning treatment before and after... Any suggestions?
    I tried this once with a store bought brand... It said to leave it in for 20 minutes, after 10 it was starting to burn my scalp... I washed it out, and instead of highlights I had WHITE streaks!!! I mean white as paper! The next day I had to dye all of hair to try and blend it in some!

I have noticed that when I get it done at the salon, she mixes several things to get the right color, and then afterwards if it is a little bit too light, she will use some sort of color wash...

Too technical for me! LOL!

Old 02-06-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
    FaerieStars

FaerieStars HB User

You could try going to a beauty supply store where they sell the actual dyes the professionals use to mix. You can also mix the dyes they sell at a drug store. I was once told to mix those dyes when I called the number on the back of the box. The only problem is you have no idea what THAT dye will do to your hair. The color on the box isn't the color YOU will get, and the color guide really sucks. It doesn't really account for the different tones you have in your hair and how they will react. Best bet if you really want to do it I guess would be a beauty supply store and ask someone for help there!

Old 02-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #4
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I've used drug store highlighting kits with no problems at all. It shouldn't burn your scalp because the instructions tell you too keep it about 1/4 inch away from the roots of your hair.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
    Girlie19
    Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
    Wink Re: RE-highlighting own hair- bad idea?

I was thinking of doing my own highlights. Nevermind lol!

Old 02-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
    Mara

Lightbulb Re: RE-highlighting own hair- bad idea?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gday
    Preconditioning is a good idea...You could make a conditioning mixture, apply it to dry hair, wear a foil cap (home made) and leave on for 30 minutes (the foil cap keeps heat in and helps the conditioners work into the shaft).

If you color or highlight, be certain you don't leave it on for an extended period of time and use a timer to avoid over processing.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
    logical_ditz

logical_ditz HB User

Be careful with the colors. I tried a few times and now I found the perfect shade of red. I went through orange and purple and now it's perfect. So if you're willing to take the risk?!?!

Closed Thread