It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Can long hair be aging?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
    livingdeaddoll

livingdeaddoll HB User
    Can long hair be aging?

My hair is quite long and lately i've got it into my head that it makes me look older. It's in good condition, i wear it natural, no dyes or perms, so it's not in bad shape, but i wonder if i should get it cut short, i don't see a lot of women my age with such long hair, i hit 30 recently, and i'm wondering if after a certain age long hair looks a little silly, i feel that i'm wearing the hairstyle of a young girl but my face and skin is dry and dull, so it's like the two don't match. Does anyone know what i mean? How many women here over 30 wear their hair long?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
    InfiniteMystery
    (female)

InfiniteMystery HB User
    Smile Re: Can long hair be aging?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by livingdeaddoll
    My hair is quite long and lately i've got it into my head that it makes me look older. It's in good condition, i wear it natural, no dyes or perms, so it's not in bad shape, but i wonder if i should get it cut short, i don't see a lot of women my age with such long hair, i hit 30 recently, and i'm wondering if after a certain age long hair looks a little silly, i feel that i'm wearing the hairstyle of a young girl but my face and skin is dry and dull, so it's like the two don't match. Does anyone know what i mean? How many women here over 30 wear their hair long?
    I think it depends on how long you're talking about. If your hair is down to your butt, then it may be time to cut it. Shoulder length or a little longer doesn't look weird on women in their 30's. I would say it's just personal preference.

As far as the dull, dry skin goes you may want to try Aveeno's Positively Radiant line. The scrub in particular.

Hope that helps!
    IM

Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User
    Re: Can long hair be aging?

I'm 41 -- My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length, and cut in a few layers including long bangs.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
    sia
    (female)

sia HB User

Quote:

Yes... long hair CAN be aging especially if it is all one length...BUT... if you have layers and bangs and keep your hair healthy, you'll look stunning!!!

Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
    SnJmom

SnJmom HB User

HI , I am 35 and my hair is a lil past my shoulders. I did have really long hair in my 20S but i love it shorter , It is so much easier to fix and still long enough to wear up. I think its all personal choice, Good luck .

Old 02-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #6
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    How many women here over 30 wear their hair long?
    I'm 42 & my hair is just past my shoulders, but it is cut in layers. I like it long so that I have the option of wearing it up. I also think it depends on your overall "style" & general appearance. Some people just look better with longer hair - no matter their age. But I do think if you're going to wear it longer you need to keep the look updated & be sure to get regular trims to keep the hair looking healthy.

Last edited by Blue-eyedBelle; 02-10-2004 at 01:54 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
    livingdeaddoll

livingdeaddoll HB User

My hair's quite long, quite a way down my back with kinda short wisps at the front, otherwise pretty much the same length, it's straight/thick in texture, it's trimmed every few months, it is a bit of a bother to keep but i don't mind that really, i just don't want to look ridiculous with it so long now. If i do get it cut short i guess i shouldn't go for anything radically short to start with, i feel i'm ready for a change though, i love wearing my hair up so i'm not so much scared of getting it cut but i wonder if i'll miss my long hair and regret what i've done. Has anyone gone suddenly from very long to short or medium and were you happy or regret it?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User

Everyone is right - it's a matter of personal preference. But I agree that some women simply look better with long hair no matter what their age, and I'm one of them. I've probably had long hair my entire life (except for the year I decided to get it cut like Twiggy's, geez) and even though I've tried shorter styles, my hair has got to at least be past my shoulders to look 'right' on me. Some may wrinkle their nose at this, but I'm 51 and my hair is to the middle of my back. But it's healthy, curly, no grey so no dye, and whenever I mention to someone about getting it cut, I'm told not to do it. Yes, it helps to look alot younger than I am (people guess me to be in my 30's) but I will say that if you yourself are questioning how your long hair looks on you, then that's probably a good indicator that you really don't like it. But you may be able to keep the length and just change the style a little...maybe add some layers around the face, that sort of thing. There was a discussion on here not too long ago about this very thing, and a couple gals had mentioned that they thought Demi Moore looked better with her hair short. Demi's got beautiful hair, period, and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't kill for it. I personally think she looks stunning as she is, as does Jane Seymour with her waist length hair. And yes, it helps when your hair is beautiful and so is the woman, as these two are. But my point is, it doesn't matter what age you are, if it suits you and it's truly beautiful to look at, then that's what you should do. Honestly, can anyone on here picture Jane in a shoulder length bob? It depends on how it looks on you, how healthy it is, and how you yourself feel about it. And if you're truly more comfortable with your hair long, then keep it long no matter what your age. But keep it healthy and in good condition and it will always look good.

How funny, you posted the same time I did.....anyway, in answer to your question - a good stylist will not cut your hair off in one sitting, she will take you in steps. I remember years ago a girl with waist-length auburn hair, thick and gorgeous to look at, wanting it cut up to her shoulders in a shag (back when that style was popular). Nobody would touch her. She kept asking people to cut it and nobody had the heart to do it, it was so pretty and they were sure she would regret it. I've always thought the stylists probably saw alot of that so they knew what they were talking about. Well, the girl finally found someone to cut it a little at a time, she simply cut off a few inches more every time the girl came in which gave her time to get used to each length. She went from waist-length to mid-back to shoulder blade length....and that's where she stopped. Quite a bit longer than the original shag do she wanted, so she was glad nobody would cut it when she first asked. As for you, start with a few inches and then live with it for awhile. You'll know if you want more cut or not. It's a whole lot easier to cut more off than put it back. The only time I did something drastic like that - and shame on the gal who cut it - was when Twiggy was popular and I decided to get it cut like hers. Oh my. I was about 14 or so at the time, and I was fine until I got home, then I cried my eyes out. And can you imagine how much trouble I had keeping it straight with my natural curly hair? I've never done anything like that since.
    You'll get some responses from girls saying Oh yeah, I cut if all off and loved it! and I'm sure they did. But I still suggest you do it a little at a time so you're not too traumatized.

Good luck and let us know what you decide....

Last edited by kellie2; 02-10-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
    livingdeaddoll

livingdeaddoll HB User

Just saw the last post, we posted at the same time. I agree that i coulnd't imagine Jane Seymore with short hair, though Demi Moore looks good with long or short, she's worn it so many different ways over the years and she looks good however she wears her hair. I agree also that it's a matter of taste as i've been told by some that they love my hair long and others say i look better when i wear it up, but i'm not sure myself. I think i need a new style though, even if it's just for myself as i'm getting a bit bored with ow it looks. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellie2
    Everyone is right - it's a matter of personal preference. But I agree that some women simply look better with long hair no matter what their age, and I'm one of them. I've probably had long hair my entire life (except for the year I decided to get it cut like Twiggy's, geez) and even though I've tried shorter styles, my hair has got to at least be past my shoulders to look 'right' on me. Some may wrinkle their nose at this, but I'm 51 and my hair is to the middle of my back. But it's healthy, curly, no grey so no dye, and whenever I mention to someone about getting it cut, I'm told not to do it. Yes, it helps to look alot younger than I am (people guess me to be in my 30's) but I will say that if you yourself are questioning how your long hair looks on you, then that's probably a good indicator that you really don't like it. But you may be able to keep the length and just change the style a little...maybe add some layers around the face, that sort of thing. There was a discussion on here not too long ago about this very thing, and a couple gals had mentioned that they thought Demi Moore looked better with her hair short. Demi's got beautiful hair, period, and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't kill for it. I personally think she looks stunning as she is, as does Jane Seymour with her waist length hair. And yes, it helps when your hair is beautiful and so is the woman, as these two are. But my point is, it doesn't matter what age you are, if it suits you and it's truly beautiful to look at, then that's what you should do. Honestly, can anyone on here picture Jane in a shoulder length bob? It depends on how it looks on you, how healthy it is, and how you yourself feel about it. And if you're truly more comfortable with your hair long, then keep it long no matter what your age. But keep it healthy and in good condition and it will always look good.

How funny, you posted the same time I did.....anyway, in answer to your question - a good stylist will not cut your hair off in one sitting, she will take you in steps. I remember years ago a girl with waist-length auburn hair, thick and gorgeous to look at, wanting it cut up to her shoulders in a shag (back when that style was popular). Nobody would touch her. She kept asking people to cut it and nobody had the heart to do it, it was so pretty and they were sure she would regret it. I've always thought the stylists probably saw alot of that so they knew what they were talking about. Well, the girl finally found someone to cut it a little at a time, she simply cut off a few inches more every time the girl came in which gave her time to get used to each length. She went from waist-length to mid-back to shoulder blade length....and that's where she stopped. Quite a bit longer than the original shag do she wanted, so she was glad nobody would cut it when she first asked. As for you, start with a few inches and then live with it for awhile. You'll know if you want more cut or not. It's a whole lot easier to cut more off than put it back. The only time I did something drastic like that - and shame on the gal who cut it - was when Twiggy was popular and I decided to get it cut like hers. Oh my. I was about 14 or so at the time, and I was fine until I got home, then I cried my eyes out. And can you imagine how much trouble I had keeping it straight with my natural curly hair? I've never done anything like that since.
    You'll get some responses from girls saying Oh yeah, I cut if all off and loved it! and I'm sure they did. But I still suggest you do it a little at a time so you're not too traumatized.

Good luck and let us know what you decide....
    Great advice! I could not say it any better.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #11
    livingdeaddoll

livingdeaddoll HB User

I'm putting off cutting my hair for a while. The only reason i want to cut it is cos i feel my hair looks too young for me, if that makes any sense. So I'm going to use a retinol cream for a few months and see if that gives my skin a boost and if not then i'll start thinking about a more "mature" style.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
    TranscendingAbyss

TranscendingAbyss HB User

I'm just trying to figure out when 30 became "old"...

about the dull dry skin... why don't you try an exfoliating scrub like st ives appricot and an "illuminating" moisturizer to give your skin some new glow?

also, changing up your hair style with some bangs or layers can help tremendously without losing your length, sideswept bangs and long layers are supposed to be big this spring

Old 02-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
    camden
    Veteran

camden HB User

I have had my hair "chopped off" numerous times(can't make up my mind). The first time I did it my slightly longer than shoulder length hair was just getting in the way so I had it cut to chin length. A week later I went in to have a short shag done . Grew it out and chopped it off numerous times in the past 10 years(never kept it maintained). You have to be careful though. Not to sound conceited but you have to love your own face to wear it ultra short, because that is the first thing people will notice! I remember chopping it off once and I had put on some extra weight and when I saw a picture of myself I was mortified my face looked huge !

My problem is that I am always fidgeting with my long hair because I can't stand it in my face, it also takes a long time to dry. Eventually I end up pulling it up into a ponytail all of the time, because it looks better off of my face. What's the point of having long hair if your going to hide it? Short hair takes no time to do, but I had to style it everyday and you have to maintain it a little more than long hair.

My hair is now past my shoulders and this is the longest in the past ten years that I have gone without cutting it all off(I trim my own and haven't been to the hairdresser in at least 2 years). To tell you the truth it is starting to annoy me again. I'd go for a long layered cut but I'm scared of it not coming out right and losing the ability to fit it in a ponytail, I don't want to have to grow it out again and I think I've put on to much weight to pull off the ultra short look, can't wear it chin length either(not a blunt cut anyhow). What a dilema!lol. Sexy long hair or funky short cut?? What shall I do

Old 02-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #14
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

I just recently went from long hair (to my bra strap) to short. I hate it. I can't wait to grow it back out. I am 33, but I think I look older with shorter hair than I do with longer hair. Mine is curly and that makes a difference also. I think I am going to keep it about shoulder length. That way, I can wear it up or down. I just wanted to let you know what a drastic change it was for me and the anguish I went through. It is just hair and yes it will grow back, but when you look in the mirror and don't even recognize yourself.......NOT WORTH IT. If you have to go back several times to get it cut, take it from me, it's worth the wait and trips to the salon. Start off with a small amount and go from there.
    Let us know ok?

Last edited by miper; 02-15-2004 at 09:52 AM.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:41 AM   #15
    swf
    (female)

swf HB User

Gosh, I must be old as dirt! lol. I'm 44 and have shoulder-length hair. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think a lot depends on the color, style of cut and your face structure as to whether your long hair makes you look old. An updated cut and/or style would probably alleviate your concerns. However, I don't think you should be concerned what others think. If you like your long hair and it looks good on you, then go for it. Maybe you should ask your stylist what they think and then discuss your options?

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread