It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Anyone Wear Artificial Nails?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User
    Anyone Wear Artificial Nails?

I was just wondering if any of you wear artificial nails-the full nail type that you glue on yourself, that are supposed to last 10 days or so.

I started using these a few years ago, because I just got tired of having gel or acrylic put over my nails at a nail salon and paying big bucks. I just file them down to a more realistic length & they look great. Each package costs about $6.00.

They look great, no one would ever know that they are not my "own" nails. The downside though, is that my own nails underneath are now very thin.

I'd love to hear from anyone who wears these type nails or who has in the past. -Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #2
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User
    Re: Anyone Wear Artificial Nails?

I've worn them for years. And you're right - no one ever knows they're not mine. I get compliments on my beautiful nails all the time.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
    I've worn them for years. And you're right - no one ever knows they're not mine. I get compliments on my beautiful nails all the time.
    Blue, are your "real" nails ruined by wearing the artificial nails? If you like the artificial nails, what brand/type do you wear?

Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

I wear acrylic nails- which I do myself (my best friend is a nail tech and she taught me the "trade"). Anytime you have artificial nails- you are depriving your natural nails of oxygen and natural oils and nutrients. You should give your nails a break every so often and leave the nails off. Also- are you using a nail glue or super glue? How are you sealing the tips? I would think that you could be allowing fungus / bacteria under these due to not totally sealing out moisture- and that could be a problem If you do not want to pay salon price- you can purchase products at a beauty supply store to seal out the moisture - I would suggest not placing an entire nail over your natural nail though, and use tips with a resin based product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robste
    I was just wondering if any of you wear artificial nails-the full nail type that you glue on yourself, that are supposed to last 10 days or so.

I started using these a few years ago, because I just got tired of having gel or acrylic put over my nails at a nail salon and paying big bucks. I just file them down to a more realistic length & they look great. Each package costs about $6.00.

They look great, no one would ever know that they are not my "own" nails. The downside though, is that my own nails underneath are now very thin.

I'd love to hear from anyone who wears these type nails or who has in the past. -Robin

Old 03-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maak823
    I wear acrylic nails- which I do myself (my best friend is a nail tech and she taught me the "trade"). Anytime you have artificial nails- you are depriving your natural nails of oxygen and natural oils and nutrients. You should give your nails a break every so often and leave the nails off. Also- are you using a nail glue or super glue? How are you sealing the tips? I would think that you could be allowing fungus / bacteria under these due to not totally sealing out moisture- and that could be a problem If you do not want to pay salon price- you can purchase products at a beauty supply store to seal out the moisture - I would suggest not placing an entire nail over your natural nail though, and use tips with a resin based product.
    I never leave the artificial nails on for more than a week at a time. I leave my nails bare for 24 hrs. between changes, too. I apply jojoba oil to my nails while they are *open to air* to keep them healthy. I always use the nail glue that they supply with the nails. The trick is to make sure that you have well-fitting nails - that way you get a *good seal*. You also need to check the nails frequently to see if one has *lifted* - just like you do with acrylics. It's also important to keep your hands out of water as much as possible. I don't mean you shouldn't wash your hands just that you shouldn't let them soak - wear rubber gloves to do dishes or clean.

For me, it's not an issue of not wanting to pay salon price. It's the idea that I can do it in my own home when it's convenient for me. I had acrylic nails for years - and believe it or not - that was the only time I had a problem with fungus. I've never had a problem with doing them myself.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
    FaerieStars

FaerieStars HB User

I had been doing the salon thing on and off for a while. It wrecked my nails completely. I'm still waiting for them to grow in a little better. I used the at home press on nails when I was in junior high school, but they always fell off within two days (that's even the super glue ones, not the sticky rubber stuff). I can't have fake nails anymore because I'm a nursing student and when I do my clinical courses in the hospital we can't have them. They harbor microorganisms which can be spread to clients. They've done studies and found nurses with fake nails had more bacteria and whatnot. It's not just a speculation.
    But if you're not in that sort of situation you don't have to worry about that! I do find them annoying after a while. Especially when I need to work with my hands with little things and wearing gloves feels very funny. (another reason nurses shouldn't wear them). I just wish there was something that would actually make nails that thick so we all wouldn't have to go through this insane trouble of gluing plastic to ourselves.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

HI and wow...I just love this board you never know what questions are going to pop up...

I got tired of growing my nails and doing them myself or paying the price at the Nail Salons...I'm going away this weekend and decided to buy the artificial nails and where them for a week...I bought some last week for practice, meaning I applied them, cooked, clean, did laundry anything to see how long they would last me and wella!! FOR $2.97 at Walmart a package of
    48 already polished nails so far has lasted me for 4 days...and I sholved snow today with them on...

I'm very impressed with these nails...I didn't use the clue that came in the package...I also bought at Walmart the Brush on Nail Glue which was better to use then the glue that came with the nails...I did see alot of really cool colors and designs at different prices but still cheap...

Old 03-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
    snwflkcty
    (female)

snwflkcty HB User

I didn't know it was possible to do it yourself and still make them look good.
    I've gotten acrylic nails put on at a salon. I always feel paranoid because the people who put them on speak a different language. I always think they're talking bad about my nails. Anyway, I'm gonna try artificial nails if I can, although it seems difficult.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snwflkcty
    I didn't know it was possible to do it yourself and still make them look good.
    I've gotten acrylic nails put on at a salon. I always feel paranoid because the people who put them on speak a different language. I always think they're talking bad about my nails. Anyway, I'm gonna try artificial nails if I can, although it seems difficult.

NO way are they difficult to apply on...Get the brush on nail glue though, I found it easier to apply the nail then the glue in the package..AND I do know what you mean about the language thing...

Just practice with them before any spcial event just to make sure they are on good and you can carry the glue & xtra nail "should one or two pop off".

Old 03-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #10
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    Blue, are your "real" nails ruined by wearing the artificial nails? If you like the artificial nails, what brand/type do you wear?
    Sorry - I didn't see your question earlier!

No, I haven't ruined my real nails - you just have to mostly be careful about removing the artificial nails. I've had the artificial ones off for 2 weeks now - just taking a break - and my nails look fine. The reason I prefer artificial nails is that polish doesn't stay on my real nails - and with artificial nails it takes about 5 minutes to do & I don't have to wait for polish to dry.

I've tried several different brands, but my favorite is Kiss Custom Fit French Nail Kit. Nailene is okay for solid colors, but their French nails look a bit fake. Broadway is okay - but I can never get a good seal, so you can see air pockets through the nail. Revlon's nails are gorgeous, but I have a problem with chipping - even if I put clear polish over them - and they're the most expensive ones! LOL! Sometimes I buy them for special occasions just because they are so pretty.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #11
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

Blue-eyed, I definitely agree with you that Kiss Custom Fit French Nail Kit is the best! I get the ones for "flat" nails & I alleviate those awful air pockets and bubbles I tend to get with some of the other brands. This brand also seems to last longer & doesn't split...they also seem easier to remove.

I saw another brand on sale at 50% off the regular price the other day and thought I'd buy them to save money. Well, I put them on yesterday...and already today, three on the nails have split down the middle!

It does take me awhile to put on a full set of nails though...because, they are always much too long & I have to cut/file them way down to look more natural....but hey, I figure for about $11.00 a month for two sets versus the $50.00 a month I used to pay at the nail salon for gels or acrylics, I don't mind taking the time.

I've never tried the Revlon brand artificial nails, but saw them at the drugstore. Should I try them? Why doesn't the nailpolish adhere to the Revlon brand?

Old 03-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    I've never tried the Revlon brand artificial nails, but saw them at the drugstore. Should I try them? Why doesn't the nailpolish adhere to the Revlon brand?
    The thing about the Revlon nails is that they say on the package that they won't chip even if you file them - and that they don't need to be coated with clear polish. I bought a set of the red ones - had them on for about 2 days - and they chipped! Of course, I didn't have the box, so I couldn't remember how to get a refund. When I emailed Revlon - they said that they didn't manufacture the nails, they just marketed them. So I was pretty aggravated. But they have such nice colors & designs, that eventually I decided to try them again - just not the red ones. They will chip just like any other artificial nail - you have to coat them with clear polish every other day to keep them looking good. And they cost more than the other nails. So I pretty much save them for special occasions. I can get twice as many Kiss nails for less! LOL! So I wouldn't say the quality of the Revlon is any better - but the choices are better - or at least I like their styles better.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

That is strange about the Revlon brand nails. Also, I never have a problem with the nailpolish I use on my artificial nails chipping. In fact, I find that the polish stays on longer on the artificial nails than it ever did on my (real) nails. I usually use Sally Hansen, OPI, or Loreal brands of polish.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #14
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    That is strange about the Revlon brand nails. Also, I never have a problem with the nailpolish I use on my artificial nails chipping. In fact, I find that the polish stays on longer on the artificial nails than it ever did on my (real) nails. I usually use Sally Hansen, OPI, or Loreal brands of polish.
    Oh! I'm not talking about regular nail polish - I'm talking about the polish that comes on the nails. I don't buy the plain nails - I buy the ones that are already done. So say if I got the French manicure ones - then I mean the white part would chip. Does that make sense?

Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 PM   #15
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
    Oh! I'm not talking about regular nail polish - I'm talking about the polish that comes on the nails. I don't buy the plain nails - I buy the ones that are already done. So say if I got the French manicure ones - then I mean the white part would chip. Does that make sense?
    Oh, silly me! Now I understand what you're saying about the already polished artificial nails. I really like the French manicure ones, however, the nails are always much too long for me, so after I file them down, the white part at the top gets almost completely filed away. I bought some opaque white polish,and then I just use the polish on the tips. -Robin

Closed Thread