It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Hair Color VS Highlights?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
    lindao1
    Veteran
    (female)

lindao1 HB User
    Hair Color VS Highlights?

Hi there!

I could sure use some advice as I don't want to make a big mistake, but could use the opinion of experts.

For many, many years I've had my hair highlighted. I was going to the same hairstylist for 13 years. She was wonderful and knew how to handle my fine hair. I'm a natural blonde so I used the highlights to enhance what I already have. Well, this great hairstylist retired so I went looking for another one who had a lot of experience in dealing with fine hair. I found one who did know how to cut and style my fine hair; however, since having my highlights done by her, it's been terrible. I've paid $125.00 for foil highlights that barely last 1 1/2 months whereas with my old stylist they would last 3-4 months. I can't afford to spend that kind of money and have my hair look good for that little bit of time.

I've been seriously thinking of just coloring my hair myself. It would definitely be cheaper but I'm so afraid of what kind of results I may end up with. Can anyone recommend good quality home coloring products? When I was younger, I used Loreal one time and that worked OK. It's just that nowadays, there's so many new products on the market. It has me so confused. And I'm petrified that home coloring will turn red or brassy even though I know they have toners that will help prevent that. Does anyone use home coloring and if so, which ones and what are the benefits? Even if someone uses haircoloring from like Sally's Beauty Supply, I would be willing to go that route too. I'm just so fed up with paying so much money and not getting my money's worth. Is it still true that highlights are less damaging on your hair than coloring?

Some of the products I've been curious about are Garnier, Nice n Easy, Hydrience, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
    producttramp
    Veteran

producttramp HB User
    Re: Hair Color VS Highlights?

Your new h.d. should know you are unhappy that the hilites she did arent working out for you. Tell her your concerns, about fading, root growth, etc.

Did your old hairdresser use bleach or color?
    First off strand test!! take a snip of hair, bind with tape and try coloring/bleaching it first with your chosen method of color-this saves alot of mess ups!!! Do you plan to use a cap and pull the hair through? It is easiest to do at home if your hair isnt past bra strap length. If that is what you plan to do, go to Sally's get a cap (usually comes with the hook) and pull though, then deciding on either bleach (try BW2 and 20 vol developer-mix and add dev. til creamy like whipped cream) or Color (Clariol makes some great blonde ones, again using 20 vol as developer-usually a 1/2 and 1/2 ratio-check the label) and apply. Color usually is about 40 min, bleach depends and needs to be checked frequently to get to the desired color-wipe a little off and look, as a blonde you will probably only go a few minutes so check frequently. either option should be under $10 to do at home. Check some websites for some more good tips-i.e. type in go blonde, etc. and you will get some good ones.
    All chemical services damage hair a little. Just make sure to deep condition. Highlights are only gentler b/c not all the hair is undergoing service.
    Foiling will require a helper, its very hard to do alone.
    Hope this helps you out.

Closed Thread